Taking a puppy to UK - quarantine???

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Taking a puppy to UK - quarantine???

Postby yummymummy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:33 pm

I´m hoping someone can help me here. My sister would like me to take her a puppy to the UK when I go at Christmas as she is looking for Spanish Water Dog and, apart from being very expensive in the UK, its questionable about how inbred they will be.

I will be driving up and wondered if anyone knows if and how I can take a puppy with me. I assume it will be between 8 and 12 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

kexon
Resident

Re: Taking a puppy to UK - quarantine???

Postby kexon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi, There will be others who can remember the ins and outs of this subject better than I, but I really doubt you will be able to take a puppy from spain to uk as it wont have its pet passport or rabies,for which they need to have a blood test and you have to wait for the results which can take months.If you try to take it to the uk without proper injections and documentation I would think they will quarantine it in the uk for you and without your consent,which used to be a six month quarantine.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Klexon. You can do it the other way round ie bring a pup from UK to here I think, but I don't think you can take a young pup back to UK without a passport, which would mean 6 months minimum age, more like 8 months old ?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:26 pm

I don´t think you can transport puppies either way until they reach the relevant age whereby they are fully vaccinated......... Ministry of Agric website should be able to help. There are places in France that look after dogs and puppies until they are able to cross the channel, around Calais I believe but you´d have to google them.....

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:40 pm

I am guessing your sister has done some research on Perro de Aguas.One of the reasons they are so expensive in the Uk is that they are classified by the Kennel Club as rare breed at the moment.I am lucky to have had one given to me by the local goat men as a gift for letting them use my field for grazing,he is a super dog and they look incredibly cute as pups but they have masses and masses of energy,ours has over 6,000sq metres to run around in plus walks and he would do more if we werent cream crackered!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 pm

As already stated, they need a pet passport and a rabies jab. After there 1st rabies jab they have to wait 6 months for a blood test to see whether or not the rabies jab has been effective. Ask your vet when they can have their first rabies jab, ours recommends 6 months old. So the puppy would be a year old before it can be taken to the UK.
The UK are strict on checking documentation, the same doesn't apply when leaving theUK and entering France or Spain for example.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:57 pm

I have recently been through this exact scenario as we have a puppy and are thinking of going back to the UK for the summer next year so I wanted to make sure that the pup would have everything required to take him back with us. The pup would need three injections of the combination vaccine which are given at different intervals until the age of 3 months. Then at 6 months (my vet said this is the youngest age they would give rabies to a puppy)they can be given the rabies vaccination. Then after one month a blood test is taken to see if the vaccine has taken and if it has you can then travel back to the UK 6 months after the date the blood test was taken. Vets will also not vaccinate puppies that don't have a microchip so this would have to be done also. Then between 24 and 48 hours before arriving in the UK dogs have to be treated for ticks and tapeworms by a vet. I won't go on too much as it is quite specific and of course you want to get it exactly right rather than risk the pup being put in quarantine for 6 months. Have a look at this link http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarant ... s_proc.htm

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi,
Further to all the previous postings, CHECK that your green book and the Blue Pets passport have all the correct dates ,signed and stamped and no alterations. Before I came over I checked my books and found incorrect dates had been entered, I had assumed the vet would not have made mistakes :(
Its not only Spanish vets that have this problem, just been to one in England and find that stamps and entries have been missed :(

J

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:48 pm

Hola

Pink Lady said " Then after one month a blood test is taken to see if the vaccine has taken and if it has you can then travel back to the UK 6 months after the date the blood test was taken." Having been through this procedure it is 6 months after the date of vaccination, provided the blood test is satisfactory. We went through this to bring my dog out from Canada to Spain and then on later to the UK with no problems. A microchip is a necessity. The only paperwork that was really checked was the photocopy I had of his blood test results and his valid vaccination records, and the passport for his tick and tapeworm treatment and of course the first thing they checked was the scan for microchip. All went smoothly for us . The dog has been on 3 trips now from Canada to Spain and back. He has never shown any adverse effects either. Good luck

Fred

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:46 pm

Yes Fred, you are correct. How old is your dog? We flew to Florida with ours a few years ago and one of ours had a bad reaction. We haven't flown with her since(she has tablets for her heart).

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:14 pm

HI Katy

Our dog is somewhere around 9 years old. A rescue dog with three legs and last year had his back leg operated on for a torn ligament, the vet had no qualms about clearing him for flight 2 months later . Still the only side effect he has ever shown was being rather thirsty on arrival. And all his flights included changing planes in either Paris or Amsterdam. They have always told us to give him no medication ( this might increase dehydration) and not to feed him the day of his flight. We are careful to make sure he gets exercise between flights and plenty of water and have never found a wet blankie or any evidence of distress on arrival either. We have had him since he was about 2 years old and before flying he got very used to travelling in a 30 foot motorhome thorughout Canada and the states. Hopefully he will be around to travel with us for quite a few more years

Fred