Help needed from other cat owners

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Sadie
Resident

Help needed from other cat owners

Postby Sadie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi my cat is nearly a year and half old and up to a few months ago he used to sleep in kitchen (with access to enclosed patio) at night until he started banging so loud on the door until we let him out, after that he had access to rest of house and he would come curl up and sleep in our bedroom "bliss" a full nights sleep, until two weeks ago when he suddenly wakes up and goes to balcony doors (shutters are down at night) and starts scratching, then goes and does samething to mirror, bedroom door, other two bedroom doors and bathroom door, by this time we are fully awake and can't figure what what exactly he is trying to do, then he will just settle down and go to sleep again, but he can do this a few times a night, lack of sleep is getting to me now. He has his own scratch post and doesn't cause any damage scratching doors etc and has access to his food, water and tray at all times, I think he is getting more crazy than he usually is, vet says its the siamese part in him, and he bullies the poor dog too.

Any help or ideas to figure out what he is doing would be much appreciated. I need my sleep.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Re: Help needed from other cat owners

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:13 pm

ours is over 13 years old, and a few years ago she started doing this...so we left her outside at night for a few nights (where we cant hear her if she scratted at the doors).
when we let her back in again she stopped doing it, as when she did start it up again, we left her out the next night. it worked a treat and now she is indoors every night and doesnt dare scrat on our bedroom door anymore.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:48 pm

i don't know much about cats, i know alot about cleaning other peoples cats cr@p up off our little bit of green garden we keep our sun beds on, but at his age, is it that he might want a young lady, or perhaps he hears a female??? or is he to young yet,

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:14 am

If memory serves me correctly and having male cats, January is the mating season for cats. Our nearly year old male last year drove us batty, crying, scratching and spraying all over the house, he was burmese. I took him to the vets, had him snipped and hey presto :lol: no more spraying, scratching or crying.
To the world you are one person
To one person you are the world!

Dixie

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58 pm

If he has not been neutered then he is more than likely feeling a bit randy and may have smelt a female in the area. If he is intact then it may be boredom, especially as cats are nocturnal. If you let him out during the day (although I would get him neutered first if he isn't, otherwise there would be a chance of him not coming back!!) to get rid of any excess energy and explore, you should find that night times are more peaceful. I haven't let my cats out at night since one of my cats in the UK was caught unawares by a fox and attacked. She had to have an op and was never the same after that.

If the behaviour continues, take a spray bottle of water and keep it handy by the bed, and when he starts scratching give him a spray (try to do it so that he doesn't notice that it's you doing it). The behaviour should stop after a few squirts.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:57 pm

If he isn't already neutered, you must get him done ASAP. His behaviour is most likely related to "natural urges". You could let him out at night to sow his wild oats, but apart from being highly irresponsible, you should know that FIV is rife here.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks for your replies,

I have had cats for over 30 years now and never had this problem, guess I have been lucky in that.

I am relunctant to let him out to the big bad world as I had two cats killed last year on road so don't want to lose this one that way too.

He is already neutered so don't think he is looking for a lady and has all his injections.

He spends a lot of energy flying around 3 floor house and chasing and teasing the dog, plus he has free access to enclosed patio via his catflap where I have also hung toys for him to tire him out.

I will try shutting him out in patio and if that don't work will try "Crazyreds" suggestion with spray bottle of water.

Thanks everyone.