Getting your pet ready to go back to the UK “is simple”

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Blossom
Andalucia.com Amigo

Getting your pet ready to go back to the UK “is simple”

Postby Blossom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:46 am

This is a time of economic difficulty for everyone and animal societies are finding it extremely harder to cope as more and more people are leaving Spain and going back to the UK and leaving their pets behind for all sorts of reasons.

One of many reasons given to our charity is the kennel boarding cost.

If the enclosed is carried out, then this will cut down the amount of kennel boarding time & cost that your pet will need (if any).

If your pet has had a previous Rabies jab and the vaccination is still in date then you can get your blood test done just in case you might have to return to the UK.
“All vaccinations have to be kept in date there after for the blood test to remain valid”.

If you have not got your pet ready in advance, you will have to wait 7 months before your pet is allowed into the UK.

Quick look Procedure:
1. Take your pet to your vet for a Rabies jab.
2. One month later the vet will take a blood sample from your pet.
3. The vet can then send the blood sample to any of several laboratories.
Cost and waiting period varies.
4. Six months after the blood test, your pet can travel back to the UK.
5. Total waiting period 7 months.

Click this link for further details:
http://www.animals-in-distress.eu/Artic ... er_country
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting your pet ready to go back to the UK “is simple”

Postby princess peach » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 am

its a shame this cant be printed in the SUR or any other ex pat newspaper. :?
good info Blossom.x

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:09 am

Just out of interest, is it the same procedure for cats also? :roll:

Blossom
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Blossom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:13 am

Yes the same applies to cats.

See the article here http://www.animals-in-distress.eu/Artic ... er_country

Blossom
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Blossom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:33 am

Hola Princess.
Thanks for your suggestion about printing the article in the Sur
They do not always print all items and if we want to advertise anything, they still want to charger us even though we are a registered charity :(

We receive great support from the Euro weekly, The News (was Town crier) and the Friday ad.
We usually advertise with them free articles and also photos of dogs for homing.

Click these links from our website for other useful information:

Dog Centres/Charities addresses etc http://www.animals-in-distress.eu/Direc ... _charities
Owning a dangerous dog http://www.animals-in-distress.eu/Dog_F ... erous_Dogs
What to do if you find a dog http://www.animals-in-distress.eu/CONTA ... find_a_dog

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:19 am

I think the work you and others do is brilliant!..you are a star :D

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:35 pm

yes i totally agree with Katy. :D

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Here is the info I have about this for dogs , we are currently waiting for test results so we can travel with our dog.
In Spain your dog is legally required to have annual rabies and influenza injections. You are also required to have your dog microchipped. These details are recorded in a Spanish pet log book and a licenced kennel (residencia canina) cannot accept a dog without this.
The special blood analysis to check for rabies anti bodies prior to issue of a EU pet passport must be done in an EU approved laboratory and there is only one lab (near Granada) for the whole of Spain ( some folks have been charged a fortune for tests done elsewhere that are not valid)
The time for return of results can vary, but it takes at least a couple of months. We are now in week 10 since test was done.
Only if the result tests positve for rabies anti bodies can you move to next step for travel with your dog. In any case your dog cannot travel until 6 months after the blood test was taken.
You need your registered vet to fill out pets passport with all the correct dates batch numbers etc
You also need to have the flea and tick treatment done within the stipulated time frame just before travelling and details recorded.
Without the correct papers, you cannot guarantee your dog will not have to spend time in quarantine when it reaches UK

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:59 pm

I have just got pet passports for my cats as we are moving over to Spain later this summer. In the UK, you only need the rabies jab done every 2 years. Does Spain insist on this being done every year then? We don't intend to return to the UK at all but having spent time reading this forum there are so many posts about Brits returning to the UK that I thought it best to be prepared!

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi,
In Spain the requirment is for annual rabies booster.
For entry back in to the UK the Pets Passport must have a valid rabies stamp so you would be ok to go back in the two years if needed.
Being in a smilar situation having gone on holiday to UK and having to get a dog's booster done, the UK vet gave it a two year stamp, however as the dogs normally reside in Spain I'll be getting the next booster done in one year to keep in with the Spanish system.

To get a cat onto Pets Passport here in Spain was 96e.

J

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:16 pm

When returning to the UK, it is t heUk you need to adhere too, the rabies jab is either for one year or two depending on the type given, so ask for the 2 year one and you will be ok to enter UK as long as it is valid, but will still need your tick and worm treatment before entering, this has to be done 24 hours before crossing the border and not longer than 48 hours, so giving you a 24 window to work with.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Blossom
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Blossom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Hola - Just a bit of further information regarding part of ValL's post (enclosed);
The special blood analysis to check for rabies anti bodies prior to issue of a EU pet passport must be done in an EU approved laboratory and there is only one lab (near Granada) for the whole of Spain ( some folks have been charged a fortune for tests done elsewhere that are not valid

When we (Animals In Distress) need fast results we do not send the blood analysis to Granada instead we ask our vet to send it to the EU approved labratory in Barcelona, which only takes 3-4 weeks and it's only another 30 euros approx. Blood analysis can also be sent to Sweden and Germany for a quicker response than Granada.

For a more indepth information on pets going abroad check out this website http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/ which explains what you have to do to bring your pet dog, cat or ferret into (or back into) the UK through the Pet Travel Scheme (or PETS for short) without putting it into quarantine.
Last edited by Blossom on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi,
Bit confusing, only the Granada Lab is on the DEFRA approved list for Spain. :?:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarant ... o/labs.htm

Local English inland publication (free) recently had a full page article on Pets Passport info, so it is getting out there what pet owners have to do.

J

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Two of our pets were tested in germany and two in Granada at different times. We flew to the USA via England with them, no problems. Bit costly to do but you have a responsibility to your pet.

Blossom
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Blossom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi Jennifer - Please note that websites are not always updated straight away.
Most vets have the latest approved labs in their files. :D

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:40 am

Hi,
One would hope the DEFRA site was up todate :? They have updated their approved list of carriers and routes, as Brittany-Ferries have just started doing Santander - Portsmouth.
So to cut some of the hassle best to use an Approved vet who can do all the paper work as well as the jabs and getting the test done.
Anyone tried booking a Santander crossing lately, don't seem to be any places left for dogs, tried a number of crossings end April into May ...no places :(

J

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Fri May 22, 2009 1:40 pm

On the crossing from Santander to Portsmouth/Plymouth, there are no spaces for dogs between 12 August and 24 Sept :shock: Now looking at alternatives perhaps driving from Malaga through France and Eurotunnel? I didn't like the idea that the cat had to stay in the car for the ferry crossing for 24 hours anyway and I think they will all be traumatised if they fly :( I know this has been covered many times and tho my dogs can travel now, the cat has to wait until 2nd September. Whats the best way to travel with 3 dogs (1 is tiny) a cat and a family of 4?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Fly them excess baggage - not a joke, they go via human passenger terminals that way and not cargo......and you can book them on same flight as you, minimum time apart........collect them in the passenger luggage hall.....

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri May 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Are you sure you can do this on a flight to the UK?

Whilst I have seen cats and dogs in pet carriers on luggage carousels in many European airports I dont ever recall seeing any in the UK.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Fri May 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Sorry Jool. I don't think so. My son-in-law works for a service company at Gatwick. He says pets need to be pre-booked as 'live animals'. Then they should be put in the correct part of the baggage hold. The part that is heated. Otherwise they will freeze to death. There have been cases when animals have been put in with the normal baggage and they arrive dead. I would not want that for my pets.