Mans best friend abandoned

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.

would you buy a dog from a pet shop?

yes
8%
no
92%

Total votes: 25

samantha
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samantha » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:57 pm

I live inland in a small town called Campillos, the town is lovely, the people are warm and friendly, the only thing we cannot cope with here is the sight of so many beautiful dogs been abandoned and living on the streets. We have taken one such dog in(unfortunately we do not have the space for any more), he is so loving and gentle as so many of the street dogs are, friendly and happy for some attention. If any one out there is contemplating having a dog in their home, or has time and space for an unwanted dog, please consider coming here, may be this suggestion is impractical but I don't know what else to do, any advice would be gladly recieved. Happy New Year to all.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

dogs

Postby hillybilly » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:32 pm

I too find this very difficult to deal with. I feed as many stray and abandoned animals as I can in our area and try to remember to carry dog food with me in the car. I already have a dog who wouldn't take at all kindly to any additions to the family otherwise I would have a house full of dogs.
There are some (but obviously not nearly enough) refuges with non-destruction policies who need financial assistance or volunteers. I intend to start making donations to one called Noah's Ark in Sevilla to do my bit. The pet shops I have seen here hark back to those in England from the 70's - not nice.
If buying a puppy follow the RSPCA's advice - ask to see the puppy with its mother, check the kennels' conditions etc. Best of all take in a stray from a refuge - you save 2 lives that way by providing space at the refuge for another animal. Most importantly have your pets neutered to prevent unwanted births.
Good on you Samantha for doing your bit, good luck.

samantha
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samantha » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:46 pm

Thanks for your post and advice regarding stray dogs, wise words.....
regards

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:34 pm

Sam, have you been to speak to the Mayor at the Town Hall or the local police? They may know of a local centre where the dogs can be taken and eventually rehomed.

Although it seems kind, the answer is not just to feed the abandoned animals, we know of people who feed wild or stray cats (funnily enough there are 3 families feeding the cats, they are better fed than my cat!)who then go on to have kittens and so on. It would be much better if the animals are treated so that they cannot go on to reproduce. It also could well be that not ALL the dogs or cats you see are abandoned. There are some near us who wander freely about the village and we know who their owners are, the general rule is if they have a collar they have an owner.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

alison
Tourist

Postby alison » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:51 pm

I know it's sad to see animals roaming, but I don't feel being rescued is always best. We have some friends and she started an animal rescue in Benalmadena a few years ago. She now has about 60 - 70 cats and 10 dogs. Apart from half a dozen cats that roam around her home, the rest are penned in. They will spend the rest of their lives in pens, only seeing her once a day. The dogs don't get walked. When I tell her how cruel she is, she tells me that is the Spanish way. Is that right either?

Sometimes I think it would be better to give them their freedom. Strays seem to manage quite well. They may have a shorter life, but at least they can roam.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:53 am

There are some centres about that actually have a good success rate for rehoming animals, for example the one in Torremolinos. They let all the dogs into a huge courtyard for exercise at certain times during the day and they are extremely well kept and have an onsite vet. All the animals that enter the centre are dewormed, given treatment and even given "the op" to stop them reproducing. To have an animal rescue centre it has got to be a bit more than just "keeping them" and patting yourself on the back for "saving" them from the horrors of the outside world.

alison
Tourist

Postby alison » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:11 pm

I agree with you Babby, but the Spanish have a totally different attitude to animals. They don't think there is a problem. :cry:

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:00 pm

I disagree with you Alison, the centre in Torremolinos, next to the Crocodile Park, is run by Spanish people. They exercise the animals, they treat them for any diseases and they care for them. Spanish people DO CARE for animals. It appears that your friends who I assume are English, do not care so much.

alison
Tourist

Postby alison » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:57 pm

Actually, no Babby, they are Spanish!

I'm sure there are a lot of good rescue homes, but as I said, the Spanish treat animals differently to the Brits.

jardinero
Tourist

Postby jardinero » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:47 pm

There are a lot of Spanish who are very active and committed to animal welfare.
These people, however are in the minority. The general attitude is one of indifference even to the most basic concepts of animal welfare, like owning a pet for instance.
Times change and the Spanish are changing too, especially the youngsters.
The younger people are displaying, and indeed are more exposed by benefit of education to the implications of animal cruelty.

IMO it is very important NOT to feed strays however hard that stance may be. When a reliable food source can be obtained then breeding will take place which makes the problem worse.
Feeding strays is not solving anything, it is making it worse.
Please be aware of this if you carry out this practice.

Regards
jardinero

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:05 pm

jardinero wrote: When a reliable food source can be obtained then breeding will take place which makes the problem worse.
Could apply this equally to the human race IMHO.

jardinero
Tourist

Postby jardinero » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:41 pm

Yes it could.

Regards
jardinero

janlawther
Tourist

Postby janlawther » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:53 pm

Just to lighten this up a bit... (why do these sort of sites descend into pompous slanging matches so easily?)

A Spanish "perro de la calle" has recently adopted us rather than the other way round. He strolls in in the early evening, eats his supper and spends the night asleep under my desk (where he is sprawled right now). By about lunchtime he is looking for every opportunity to go out through the front door and trots along the road (always on the pavement and always looking both ways before crossing from what I have seen) to spend the day roaming the olive groves. I'm quite happy to have him share our home and give him supper every day but I don't think he is looking for anything else!

I'm glad you are happy with your own perro de la calle Samantha, I'm sure there is a dog grapevine working well out there somewhere. And do you by any chance go to the Spanish classes at the Instituto des Adultos or are there two Smanthas in Campillos?

jardinero
Tourist

Postby jardinero » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:49 pm

janlawther wrote:Just to lighten this up a bit... (why do these sort of sites descend into pompous slanging matches so easily?)
Jan

I don't think the thread has descended into anything like you describe.
It's called discussion.
It would be pretty bloody boring if we all thought the same.

Regards
jardinero

kerry lackey
Tourist

Animal treatment in Spain

Postby kerry lackey » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:44 pm

I know many who all try to 'do their bit' to help many of the pitiful cases in and around where I live in north of Malaga province. However, this is a major issue across Andalucia which stems from a combination of tradition and lack of education and needs far-reaching solutions. Take a look at the sterling work being carried out by www.brighteyes.dk and if you feel strongly about levels of cruelty still in existence and animal abandonment, then support their campaigns and sign their petitions. If your new years resolution is to make a difference, look at raising some funds to support their efforts- fun events within your community - enlist help from friends and family back home (those who are still earning big bucks but have little time to spend them!). Talk to your own local ayuntamiento about the new animal laws passed in October and ask how they tend to enforce them. Make your own difference on a small local scale.

Are you going to take action in 2005 or just post messages on a board?

alison
Tourist

Postby alison » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:00 pm

jardinero wrote:
janlawther wrote:Just to lighten this up a bit... (why do these sort of sites descend into pompous slanging matches so easily?)
Jan

I don't think the thread has descended into anything like you describe.
It's called discussion.
It would be pretty bloody boring if we all thought the same.

Regards
jardinero
I agree with you jarinero - does that make me boring? :wink:

janlawther
Tourist

Postby janlawther » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:05 pm

Whatever...

But perhaps you have missed the subtitle of this forum ie

"The following message boards are intended for those looking for information or resources in Andalucia and Southern Spain"

cjbulow
Tourist

Postby cjbulow » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:03 pm

janlawther wrote:Whatever...

But perhaps you have missed the subtitle of this forum ie

"The following message boards are intended for those looking for information or resources in Andalucia and Southern Spain"
Fight! Over here teacher!

'Twould appear that the question of our four-legged friends raises temperatures like no other :D
Regds

Chris Bulow
callto://cjbulow

jardinero
Tourist

Postby jardinero » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:49 pm

Hello jan

The boards, as you say, are dedicated to giving the community some reliable information about Andalucia.
Personally speaking I find the boards interesting on the few times I visit and indeed post.
If someone provides their own personal information or states their own opinion then of course why should someone not question or disgagree?
Do you know how many people have their own ideas about car registrations, NIE, Escrituras, traffic violations.

Surely we can answer back without swearing at each other?
If someone tells me that they have just caught a 40 kilo carp in the Embalse de Iznajar I want to see a picture.
Happy New Year!

Regards
jardinero

janlawther
Tourist

Postby janlawther » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:06 pm

Swearing? Did I miss something?