Crate training

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Crate training

Postby Jool » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:43 am

I know many of you have done this and would like some detailed advice please as I have never used crates before. I knew the early principles but for this stage need to get it right

We have the crate and the dog goes in quite happily, eats her food in there and chooses to go in and out voluntarily so we are now at the stage of closing the door, but here I lack experience

How long do I close it for the first time?
Do I hide treats in there for first time closed so she is distracted? She is likely to try and scratch her way out as soon as they are finished and I don´t want to establish this as a habit.
What do I do if she gets stressed (which she will do as she believes herself to be house boss)?
Should I leave her in it for short periods of time and build it up regardless of how she feels?
Should I ignore her if she is upset or just firmly command her to stay in her place?

Any info or advice from those who have successfully done this would be hugely appreciated - she is an over sensitive dog and one of the reasons for using the crate is to calm her down and also make her feel secure by not being so over responsible for everything.......as she takes over in any area she can where the other dogs are concerned as she had a bad start in life and thinks she needs to be in charge to feel secure.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Crate training

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Jool,
Sounds like you're doing ok so far .
As all dogs are different, what works for me might or might not work for you.
I've just recently "rescued" a six year old that had spent all those years chained up. She now happily goes into a crate and sleeps with the door shut.
Before doing the door shut bit take her for a long walk/run . Then.. I use a Kong (can stuff multiple treats in , and it takes some working to get them out.) to encourage her in, and shut the door.
Walk away and see how things go, if she immediately wants out, leave for 20 seconds and let out .
Increase the shut in time , you may be able to do 2 or 3 sessions on the first day, it will depend on her and you.
From reading the rest of your post , she seems to want to be the pack leader......so you will have to assert yourself.......when grooming do it from above and behind , like in the mounting position.
All my three dogs are crate trained , so when I want to open the yard gates I just shout IN ,and they race to see who can get in first. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Thank you and yes, in her mind she IS pack leader, but very nervous and hyper-sensitive so gets scatty under any kind of stress..........and leads the others astray........

Will follow your recommendations as I want to have them all crate trained as well....

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:43 pm

We always made a point whenever we had to rescue a puppy or if one of our own puppies,always put their bed,food,water and a play toy in the crate,so they are safe and secure overnight or away from our other dogs for short periods.You will be surprised how quickly they learn to see the crate as a safe secure bed.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Yes but I have never used or needed a crate before as all my dogs happìly welcomed the newcomers........mine are all used to their own settee and they sleep on the bed at night (I know but...) but I am re-claiming my bed, they can still share their own sofa as they do not use mine

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi Jool,
I knew you were a big old softy at heart :D
When I first picked up the rescue, I would take her out on a lead with my most laid back original dog , and walk them side by side, kept her alone in the yard for a few days, doing the walks during that time, then let them both loose in the yard. Even though she was on heat the male dog didn't show any interest . 8) Like I say he's real laid back about life :D Introduced my female dog a few days later after the side by side walking and apart from one power dominance indecent by the rescue, things have been fine.
Sounds like your original dogs have sorted them selves out in the pack.
Did a similar thing over Christmas when I took them over to UK , the house I stayed at had a Jack Russell , did the walking together , kept the JR in a crate overnight with the Huskies in the next room, in a few days they were best of mates. :D

Lets know how it goes.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Well she loves her crate, goes in from choice quite often especially if we are in the same room, one problem though - she sees it as evidence of her special status that she has a special place!!! :think: :think:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:48 am

:thumbup: thats great...I had two staffs in UK,one aged 4 and the other a baby(in the older staffs old crate)They both used to squeeze in there to go to sleep. :crazy:

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:59 pm

We look after a friend's Jack Russell who was taken on as a "damage repairabe" older dog. She has a cage and loves it, it's her space and she feel safe in it.. She sleeps in it at night, goes in without prompting when you go out during the day (although the doggy treat she gets when she's in the cage may act as an enducement) and will go in any time you want her "out of the way" - one bit of damage that hasn't quite been repaired is a hatred of small children! In fact she loves it so much trying to get her up in the morning can be a trial - especially if it's raining! If I ever have another dog - not very likely but possibe- I'll be buying a cage before the dog gets in the door!
I can spell but I can't type