Alternative to Scalibor Collars

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
kexon
Resident

Alternative to Scalibor Collars

Postby kexon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:30 am

As the title suggests,we have a cocker spaniel who had a severe reaction to the Scalibor since the ingredients have been changed or added to,anyone who knows of an alternative?

murbisa
Resident

Re: Alternative to Scalibor Collars

Postby murbisa » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:45 am

We use Exspot, which you put on the back of the neck once a month like you do frontline. Never had a problem with it. It does work out more expensive but I have never like collars on my dogs at home.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:44 pm

My Yorkie had the same reaction so I have stopped using the collars.He had nasty sore lumps around his neck where the collar sat.
Scalibor does ticks and sandfly, frontline only covers fleas and ticks.
The two that you could use as an alternative are Exspot and Dovantix which both deal with ticks, sandfly and fleas so both alternatives are better, though more expensive. I use Exspot, same as Murbisa, and no problems with skin irritation either with any of our dogs.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Another option is Advantix.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Advantix is only 85% effective against leish.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm

As we use it on our dogs, be interested to see where you get that figure from.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:23 pm

http://www.paws-patas.org/health_veterinary.html

A recent field study1 in Italy proved that sand fly control by repellent and insecticidal parasiticides is an effective way to prevent canine leishmaniosis infection in dogs. The results showed that advantix®, when applied once or twice a month, yielded in a very high percentage of protection against leishmaniosis infection of more than 88.9% under natural conditions in an endemic area. Thus dogs were protected from sand fly bites.

Sorry Gerry its 88 and not 85%, the site recommended Scalibor as most effective, we recently changed from Exspot to Scalibor but have to say blood tests showed no leish when we were using Exspot.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am

Hi ,Many Thanks for the info,have made a note of those products you have listed,it was the alternative prevention for leish i was most concerned about replacing,as i have two friends in the area who have animals affected by it and it appears to be more widely spread than some people realise.

Piensos
Tourist

Postby Piensos » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:26 pm

I think it is very much a lottery and also down to the dogs immune system, our neighbour brought over his labrador and has done everything by the book for preventing Leish and yet Prince last year was diagnosed with it. Our neighbours are really upset as they really did their best with bringing in before dark, collars etc. Also a dog can carry leish all its life and never produce symptoms and on the other end of the scale I know someone that over 8 years ago rescued a dog that was going to be put to sleep, she was bald practically blind and riddled with Leish, Irene took her on and over the years her blood count went down and now she tests negative and the vet cannot believe his eyes. So it's a case of living alondside it and doing your best for your pet to prevent it.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun May 09, 2010 8:38 am

I out a sachet of Frontline on our gsd's neck Thursday and since then she has had the trots and vomits. We use this stuff on her every year and never had a reaction but I bought this lot of 12 doses on the web and I'm pretty sure it's the genuine article. Of course it may just be coincidence but has anyone else had something similar?

Mhic.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 18, 2010 8:39 pm

We asked our vet what was the best to prevent Leish and she categorically said a Scalibor collar.

One of our dogs, who only became ours recently, already has Leish. He has responded to treatment and it is only the blood tests that indicate he has Leish. He is a lively little dog. A year ago he was very poorly with it and not expected to last more than a few months.

Anyway, the vet advises he still should wear a Scalibor collar as his condition could worsen if bitten again by an infected insect. According to his previous owner he got a rash round his neck when they tried a collar. The vet advised that this is not uncommon but that it will go away. As she put it, better a rash for a couple of weeks than a terminally sick dog.

Incidentally, the treatment regime has recently changed. Injections can now be given in the neck (same as normal innoculations) rather than intraveneously as previously done as the drugs have improved. It is a lot easier now.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

doggit
Tourist

Postby doggit » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Google food grade diatomaceous earth. Perros si in Almuñecar sell it by the kilo, 15 euros. It is amazing, amazing stuff and totally natural. I think they are the only place in Spain to stock it. Their web address is www.perrossi.com. Can't remember street address.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks for the info doggit.

We actually took the vets advice, (rather a rash for 2 weeks than a dead dog), and lo and behold, no rash! He's quite happy with it as well.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:22 pm

Diatomaceous earth is great stuff and if you put some in their food it also kills internal parasites such as worms. As it is a mechanical killer, it is not something that parasites can build resistance to.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 am

costapacket
Resident

Re: Alternative to Scalibor

Postby costapacket » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:12 pm

crazyred wrote:Diatomaceous earth is great stuff and if you put some in their food it also kills internal parasites such as worms. As it is a mechanical killer, it is not something that parasites can build resistance to.
I am interested in knowing more about the above as my dog also had a reaction to the scalibor collar.

Does this stuff give protection against leish? My dog weighs 7kg.....where would I find out how much to give him? Do you have any links to more information?

Thanks in advance

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Oh dear I've just seen this thread is 4 years old......

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Fri May 02, 2014 12:42 pm

I have used 2 vets here in Spain, and they both say that Scalibor is the very best for preventing Leisch, However following a reaction by my dog to the collars they recommend that I wipe the collar with a damp cloth before fitting. Guess what, no reaction.
Hardworking resident !!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:21 pm

The pup we are fostering (he is off to the UK the end of the month) ate one of the other dogs scalibor collars! Expensive treat for him! :crazy: