Excited and Scared!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Excited and Scared!

Postby princess peach » Thu May 20, 2010 8:38 am

Well,after spreading the word a little that we wanted another British Bulldog,we were contacted last night and informed one has been brought into the dogs home. :(
Its a lill lady aged 5,she is stunning.The Spanish owners no longer wanted her and put her in the home. :thumbdown:
It says on the write up,she is excellent with children and people,but not too good with other dogs. :?
I spoke to the guy in charge of the home last night and as all owners of that type of breed know,these dogs can be very vocal,but not actually do any damage.
I am going in an hour to see her,i want to see her and how she reacts to another dog being in her presence.
I already have a cage,so if we get her she will be put into it at night and thru the daytime if i have to go out to be on the safe side,until i know they are all o.k with each other.

Im really scared and hope that if i do bring her home there will just be minor problems with the 3 dogs.I really hope i can give her a loving home and she will be happy.Fingers crossed,i will let you know how i get on later today.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Excited and Scared!

Postby Julie » Thu May 20, 2010 10:17 am

I hope not too good with other dogs, shouldn;t read,dangerous with other dogs :oops:

Some dogs just don't get along with others, so good luck, but I am sure there will be another one along if this one needs a no doggy home !
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu May 20, 2010 11:18 am

Oh be careful! When I got my dog from the rescue centre, she was listed as "not very good with other dogs" - in reality this translated to "will rip other dogs' throats out if given half the chance"

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 am

Oh dear,thanks for your comments guys. :?

Well,i have been to see her this morning,what a georgous little thing she is.She is in a huge area all alone looking very sad and covered in scabs and sores where the 6/7 huge dogs from the next door kennel have dug a hole,got into her space and basically ripped her up :(

My two are extremely placid,and im really hoping this might rub off on her eventually,i imagine she wont be too friendly,especially after what has happened to her recently.Shes bound to be on the defensive.

Anyway,im getting her tommorow afternoon.Im going to introduce her to my other two dogs slowly,while out for a walk(before she gets took into the house)to see how they are with each other.

If anyone can give me any advice about introducing them all i would be very grateful.I really want to help this lill lady and give her the loving home that she deserves,so any advice whatsoever will be gratefully appreciated. :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 20, 2010 12:17 pm

The first two weeks are always the worse. Good luck! :D

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Not my sort of post and never a dog owner but...............well done :thumbup:

Good lady and I hope, in fact I'm sure everything will work out great for you and the new addition.

All the best :)
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu May 20, 2010 12:28 pm

From what I've heard about your 2 PP, it should go very smoothly. Sometimes, it is better to let them settle amongst themselves and sort out their own pack structure, as long as they all recognise that you and yours are No1 and fall in behind that. Just make sure that you are around to break up any problems and set the rules of what is and isn't acceptable. I would suggest that they meet at home though rather than on neutral territory so that the new girl knows the score from the get go.

I also know with Reggie that if I bring an animal into our home he understands that they've been invited and behaves himself (even if it's another intact male :shock: ). It's a different matter on the street.

Let us know how it goes and get some pictures up :D

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu May 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Peachy,
You had better get reading up on "new dog intro"..........loads of info on the web, and see how you can incorporate it into your living area......... i.e. house /garden

Your meeting away from home is one that's recommended, but seeing crazyred's post, I've always done mine at home as well.

Females can a bit tetchy so would work with your male one first.

Best to read up what the experts recommend.......... :thumbup:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Thu May 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi, we have six dogs(long story) so have had to make many introductions.First off stay calm,dont give too much affection at first,be aware of any possible flash points,i.e. feeding time,favourite toys your other dogs may have and favourite sleeping places,so make sure the new dog knows where to go to sleep etc.Supervise whenever they are together and also give them some time apart.Exercise as much as is feasible in the heat,as tired dogs have less energy to fight/squabble.It may take a few months of doing any or all of the above.Good Luck,enjoy and am pleased to hear another rescue dog go to a good home.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu May 20, 2010 7:50 pm

This is a pic of my new little girl taken from the dogs home

http://www.123marbella.com/123cm/images ... 010394.jpg

Thankyou so much for the comments,felt myself getting quite emotional.
I have to make this work,im expecting two months of hell,so anything less will be a complete bonus.The money that we have to pay for her ~175 E,includes passport,jabs and neutering etc.
The man who runs the shelter has told me to bring her back in a couple of weeks to get the neutering done by the vet in the dogs home,this means she then has to go back in there.Im not going to do this.Im going to let my own vet do it and pay the extra.I cant put her back in there again can i. :thumbdown: Once shes out,shes out for good. :thumbup:

Thanks for your advice guys.I think you are correct about letting her come into the home for the first meeting.My little girl isnt too good with others on the street since she was attacked a few months ago.I will remove all the toys,so there isnt any fighting over those.The new dog will be sleeping in the crate downstairs and also when we go anywhere.
If i get chance i will post some pics of her and let you know how its going.
Thanks once again,think im going to have a sleepless night tonight worrying about tommorow.lol

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu May 20, 2010 8:29 pm

Ahhh bless!! She looks a sweetie!!

Don't worry Peachy. I'm sure everything will be fine as it sounds like you've got everything worked out. I'm sure she'll be on her best behaviour as she'll be so grateful to be out of that hell hole and in a lovely new home.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Thu May 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Well done PP. She is a very lucky dog to have you to look after her :clap:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 am

Aww,thanks so much guys.I didnt sleep too well last night.Everything is ready for her,toys have been took up etc...towels and shampoo await her arrival in the bathroom....roll on 1.30 when all hell breaks loose at the peachy household.lol
Fingers crossed for me.xxxxx

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri May 21, 2010 7:05 am

Hi Peachy,
Steady on girl, give her time to settle in before the bath routine :!:
I know this will be hard for you but just be very calm when you go an pick her up.........

http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/basics/gl ... cesars-way

From the article.........

"•Exercise, discipline, and affection… in that order – :D
These are the three ingredients for creating a happy, balanced dog. Most dog owners give only affection, or don’t provide these three necessities in the correct order.
◦Exercise – walking a dog at least one hour every day, and in the correct way.
◦Discipline – giving a dog rules, boundaries, and limitations in a non-abusive manner.
◦Affection – a reward we give to our dogs and to ourselves, but only after the dog has achieved calm submission in our “pack”.

All the best 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri May 21, 2010 7:24 am

Good luck, PP, I hope all goes well for you both.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri May 21, 2010 9:42 am

Actually, I agree with the bath. Every animal that comes into my house gets a bath, including the cats. It is also a form of dominance training as it shows that you are dominant over them. It also puts the scent of the new house on them which helps to make them more acceptable to the other animals in the house as they won't have all the other smells from the dog shelter on them.

It's not exactly torture and if the poor thing has got cuts and wounds from the other dogs attacking her, it will probably be quite soothing as well as ensuring that infection doesn't set into her wounds.

Big slobbery kisses from Reggie, hope all goes smoothly and she settles in well :D :D

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri May 21, 2010 10:41 am

any chance of videoing the first few days for us PP..especially the bath scene !!!
it´s got to be more interesting that the tv now that there is not much footie on !! :)

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri May 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Spanish owners?? Does she speak English :lol: You will have to get your son on hand as translator during training :wink:
Best of luck, hope her and your other dogs accept each other, would be so easy if they understood when you say, look if you don't behave you end up back at the shelter instead of staying with friends!!

rubia
Tourist

Postby rubia » Fri May 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Oh PP she looks lovely ... I do hope she gets along with your other two ... :clap:

Please let us know how you get on :thumbup:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri May 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Hello guys!

Well good news!

The guy at the dogs home,put in the ad that she was not to be with other females due to her reaction upon arriving to the home and nothing to do with what the previous owners had said,so that was a relief.
Anyway...we arrived home with her this aft...dripping from head to paws in fleas.the home had frontlined her as we left and it was amazing to watch all these little critters drop off in the space of a couple of hours.We kept her in the front garden and sat on the floor with her,to see what kind of temperament she had....Shes amazing!..she wants cuddles and love,rolls over and just wants you all the time.
After a couple of hours of sitting with her and tweezering dead the remaining fleas..we decided to show my other girl to her...Both kept firmly on the leads..they had a real snarling fit at each other...we let them get on with it....then put my girl back into the kitchen...left the new girl in the garden with us for another hour...then introduced the big guy....she was totally different with him...and they got quite close...she was quite interested in him...we then put him back with my girl in the patio/kitchen....
After another hour or so...we took the two girls out together..both were fine,but kept seperate...
My two have been kept in the patio and kitchen together,so the new little girl can settle in,the two girls have been out for another walk and got quite close,no snarling and barking at all.
My husband tried to bath the new girl....she rolled over on her back..water everywhere(i was out at the time)lol..
we have also tried to get her into the crate,(she jumped straight in coming from the dogs home)....now..she rolls over and goes all stupid and we cant gte her in it....she is of beautiful temperament and is now at 9.45 pm fast asleep for the first time on a comfy dog bed.
The first day has been amazing,i will be doing this very slowly keeping the dogs quite far apart,i have plenty of time.....i want this to work,so im not rushing anything
She has been loved and looked after by her previous owners she is a total softie.
My husband is now in love with another woman....lol...
Thanks so much for your support youve all been great! :thumbup:
I know we still have a long way to go,its very early days yet,probably a lot more snarling and growling and a few bites to come yet.I have to persevere with this little girl,shes amazing.!
Enjoy the pics...she was still dirty when these were took..bathtime will occur when she can stay upright :lolno:

Last edited by princess peach on Sat May 22, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.