Advice needed please??

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
metalmonkey
Resident

Advice needed please??

Postby metalmonkey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi

my cat (Yoda) has not eaten solid food (voluntarily) for about 8 days, she went off her food and then she spent two days in the vets on a drip, after blood tests the vet said that all was normal but she may have eaten some poison. I brought her home with 5 vitamin and 5 antibiotic injections. She still won't eat even though she goes to the food and at the last minute won't eat it. I have tried all sorts of food and she is now surviving on baby food which I syringe into her mouth every hour and some water by teaspoon, she is not sick when I do this.....has anyone else had this problem, any suggestions as I am now lost for the next thing to do? I'm not willing to give up on her as she's only 3yrs old and survived a fall on the builders merchant roof at 6 weeks,

Many thanks

julie
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Advice needed please??

Postby KatrinaD » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 am

Hi Julie, if I were you I'd get her back to the vet asap. Surely a poison would have left the body by now and not cause continued lack of appetite. Unless of course, the poison has irritated her mouth/throat - did the vet suggest this may be the case? The fact she appears to want to eat and then decides not to, could also indicate either an obstruction or a teeth/gum problem, (although I assume the vet checked teeth and gums thoroughly). I'd get her straight back to the vet, or if you're not happy with their explanation, go to another vet. Keep up the good work trying to get fluids in her, that's so important. Best of luck with it.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:55 am

hi thanks for that I'm going to ring my last vet in the Uk this morning and will take her to another vet, there's an english speking ve in Antequera, the vet I normally use is good but the new vet who works with him had terrible trouble getting a drip needle into the cat and I wans't happy with the standard of overnight care i.e dog in next cage which would have frightened yoda , will let you know how I get on today many thanks for your reply , it helps a lot

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KatrinaD » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:50 am

I definitely think you're doing the right thing in seeking advice elsewhere. You need to be satisfied with the vet's explanation and know that Yoda's receiving the best treatment. I would be the same. Glad to be of help and yes please, do let us know how she gets on. All the best.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi
I had a look at loads of internet sites and decided to do my own thing with her , she had such a traumatic time at the vets and he basically said that I had to get her to eat and drink and hope for the best. For the last few days I've been liquidising wet food and syringing it into the side of her mouth a little at a time followed by syringes of water. She has been so good but is very weak and then yesterday after staring at a little tuna fish on a plate she had a taste of it, I couldn't believe it and today she has eaten about two tea spoons of tuna and 6 little cat treat biscuits and has lapped quite a bit of water. I'm keeping her warm with hot water bottles and hopefully she's turned the corner. I think a little and often is the best plan. She's painfully thin but once she's eating she will fatten up. A friend asked me if her mouth looked sore but it doesn't , it was almost like she had forgotten how to eat and mis trusted the food.
In the UK I always relied on the vet but here I do think you have to do a lot more yourself, which I'm happy to do. Many thanks for the advice

Julie and Yoda

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KatrinaD » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:53 am

So glad to hear that your little cat is eating again and that she seems to be getting her appetite back. It's all down to you and your hard work in keeping her hydrated and nourished, so well done you. I hope she's back to full strength again very soon and then you can all relax. Thanks for the update.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:58 am

My little Yoda died this afternoon, she had a fit and went into shock. I took her to the vet and he put her to sleep. He said that the olive farmers in this region are using new weed killers and a lot of animals have been affected. Just thought that everyone should be aware, I am in the Iznajar area,

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KatrinaD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 am

Oh Julie, I am so sorry to hear that. How awful for you, especially after all you did to try to keep her going. At least she's not suffering anymore. Thinking of you and thanks for letting people know about this new threat. I'm truly sorry to hear this.