Advantix

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
costapacket
Resident

Advantix

Postby costapacket » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:06 am

We are looking forward to bringing our dog to Spain this year. He has his pet passport etc. My vet prescribed Advantix and I put it on the dog as instructed on Tuesday night. He has had a very bad reaction to it - he became very anxious, shaking, panting heavily, not moving, itching everywhere so we washed it off and the vet has reported the reaction to Baher. He is still not completely better today. Obviously I won't be using it again and after googling it would seem many others have had similar reactions to it as well.

He will have to have a tick treatment to get back into the UK. Previously we used Advocate so will go back to that. In the past we have used a Scalibor collar with no problems, as recommended by peeps on here, but it has the same chemical in it that the Advantix has so not sure about using it now.

Has anyone else had any reactions to either Scalibor or Advantix and if so what products do use now.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Advantix

Postby Julie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:07 am

I use Supona you you add water to it, it is on a veterinaria precpription, but you have a almacen near you that sell, stuff for the campo you may get it there as i do. It is excellent, I use it on the neigbours dogs, as they used to be left covered in ticks etc, I was amazed how well it worked and it cost a fraction of the price of frontline etc.it made by Fort dodge veterinaria. i says every 100ml imulsion contains 20 grams of clorfenvinfos, Its about 12 euro for 1 litre which you water down u mix 1 or 2 mls with 1 litre or 10 to 15 mls to 15 litres to bath the dog in. I would reccomend it if the ingredient is ok for your dog.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:10 am

I have 4 dogs all with Scalibor collars and no adverse reaction.
I have never used Advantix but one of our dogs has a bad reaction to Frontline Combo. When it is put on her she starts walking round in circles for about an hour, and it is totally ineffective on her. She now gets Stronghold which works with no side effects for her. The other 3 get Frontline Combo with no problems
Ann

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:58 am

One of my dogs is allergic to Scalibor collars. He wasn't initially but after the third collar, he developed scabs and sores all over his neck and was ill.
I now use EXSPOT drops on him - he is a little yorkshire terrier and the other one is a much larger more robust campo type mix.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Advantix affects one of our dogs too (walks strangely for up to a week) and now use the Melaflon drops which are totally natural stuff. Also, the Advantix is particularly dodgy if you have cats as it's really toxic for them.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:09 pm

costapacket wrote:We are looking forward to bringing our dog to Spain this year. He has his pet passport etc. My vet prescribed Advantix and I put it on the dog as instructed on Tuesday night. He has had a very bad reaction to it - he became very anxious, shaking, panting heavily, not moving, itching everywhere so we washed it off and the vet has reported the reaction to Baher. He is still not completely better today. Obviously I won't be using it again and after googling it would seem many others have had similar reactions to it as well.

He will have to have a tick treatment to get back into the UK. Previously we used Advocate so will go back to that. In the past we have used a Scalibor collar with no problems, as recommended by peeps on here, but it has the same chemical in it that the Advantix has so not sure about using it now.

Has anyone else had any reactions to either Scalibor or Advantix and if so what products do use now.
Perhaps I'm not reading your post correctly, but it sounds as though you've used Advocate to treat ticks. That product is not an effective tick treatment (nor is it designed to be)

http://www.animalhealth.bayerhealthcare.com/4882.0.html

Not much you can do about allergies to spot-on treatments like Advantix etc., but I've personally found that Scalibor collars are much better tolerated if they are taken out of the packaging and left in a safe place for at least 24 -48 hours before you put them onto your dog

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:51 pm

My poor dog has an allergy to fleas and now also to just about every treatment. Frontline, an immediate reaction which left his whole back with a huge scab for 8 wks, then Advantage which caused a reaction the 2nd time, Advantix the 2nd time so I tried sprays & have now exhausted those options. I didn't notice any reduction in fleas using these products so I've now decided that he's actually better off with the fleas and I bath him & flea comb him every week and give him a good vacuum with my Kirby (which he loves!!). I daren't put a scalibor on him so I use the home made mozzie repellent that I use for my kids & I.
I hope I never have to go back to the UK as I couldn't give him the tick treatments.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:21 am

We are also having similar problems with both Frontline spray and Scalibor collars our old cocker spaniel had severe reactions to both and had not had reactions to either before and its difficult to find alternatives.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:34 am

All I can say is that one of my dogs didn't tolerate the Scalibor collar - until I took it out of the foil packaging for 24-48 hours BEFORE attaching it

He's ok with it now and at least I know that the risks of Leish/Lyme etc. is greatly decreased.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks for all the information it's given me some ideas.

Sorry Tina Tapas I was getting muddled up the Advocate is for heart worm isn't it :oops: The vet has given me Milbemax for heart worm this time. I think I will go for the scalibor collar again but do as you have suggested and open the pack 24/48 hours before.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi costapacket,
Will you be bringing your dog back before 1-Jan-2012, if so you will need to have a Flea and Tick treatment that is ok for your dog.
After 1-Jan-2012 seems more relaxed..............

"Tapeworm treatment – We expect the European Commission to shortly come forward with proposals to allow UK to still require pets to be treated against tapeworms. There will be no mandatory requirement for tick treatment."

The full write up is on the DEFRA site..............

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/p ... et-owners/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:21 pm

costapacket wrote:Thanks for all the information it's given me some ideas.

Sorry Tina Tapas I was getting muddled up the Advocate is for heart worm isn't it :oops: The vet has given me Milbemax for heart worm this time. I think I will go for the scalibor collar again but do as you have suggested and open the pack 24/48 hours before.
Hi Costapacket

There are so many similar-sounding products on the market now, and it can be very confusing as not one of them protects against EVERYTHING, unfortunately.

Perhaps it's the drug companies way of maximising profits by getting animal lovers to buy at least 2 different products to protect their pets from fleas/ticks/sandflies/worms etc., although in their defence, such a product would have to be a fairly strong cocktail of chemicals that only very healthy dogs would be able to tolerate if applied simultaneously on a regular basis.

I would always recommend "staggering" anti parasite treatments 1 - 2 weeks apart if at all possible, and the same applies to vaccinations like the mandatory annual rabies shot and a routine booster (if applicable).

Advocate treats/controls quite a few things, including heartworm, see the link for details of all of them.

Milbemax is a safe treatment for heartworm, as long as your dog isn't already heavily infested (I'm sure your vet has checked him out before prescribing)

Let me know if the Scalibor routine works for you - I think they've now amended the instructions on the packet to wipe the collar with a damp cloth once a month to help to "re-activate" the efficacy of the collar.

Scalibor also doesn't appear to provide effective protection against ticks for as long as it does against sandfly (Leishmaniasis), so be aware that you may need to overlap towards month 5 with another tick-specific product such as Frontline or similar - check with your vet.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks for all the help Tina Tapas. I have just picked up the scalibor collar today so all ready to go.

It doesn't take a lot for me to get confused but I have just got back from my vets and he has reviewed the treatments and I feel confident I know what I'm doing now :thumbup:

I'll report back how I get on with collar just looking forward to the holiday now ! 8)

Enrique thanks for the info....looks like things are going to get simpler in future for us pet owners - bring it on :thumbup:

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Have a great holiday :thumbup:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:05 pm

I have just googled what the stuff is I use, its kills rats and mice too, no wonder its good, maybe too good. It also treats :

Tipo de acción: ADULTICIDA Y LARVICIDA DE CONTACTO Y ORAL NO SISTÉMICO

Eficacia principal contra: GARRAPATAS DE UNO Y VARIOS HOSPEDADORES, ÁCAROS DE LA SARNA, PIOJOS, MOSCAS, PULGAS, MIASIS, GUSANERAS
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 pm

To my knowledge, this is off-label use and most vets won't prescribe it for domestic animals, although maybe it's different here?

Apparently it's also been withdrawn (temporarily) from the market in Spain

Supona is VERY strong stuff, and if you don't get the dilution strength right, your dogs could suffer in the short AND long-term

Having said that, Frontline and Advantix (and all the others) can also have potential side effects - they're safer in that if you know your dog's weight, then application is pretty much fool-proof.

I guess it depends on whether ticks in your area are becoming resistant to all the treatments.

I have to say that a combination of the Scalibor collar and Frontline OR instead just use Advantix (applied every 2-3 weeks in the sandfly season to help prevent Leish) works well for me

We check for ticks after walks and (touch wood) have found none attached

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Just letting you know that the scalibor collar did cause some irritation even though I left it out of the packed prior to putting it on my dog. I suspect this might be because he was very sensitive at the time due to the reaction to the Advantix - I might be wrong but a couple of years ago he did have the scalibor collar with no probs at all. :crazy: