Homemade Dog Food

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
annfoto
Resident

Homemade Dog Food

Postby annfoto » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

We have 4 dogs, 3 of them are about 10kgs and the 4th is 20kgs. We have been feeding them a mixture of biscuits and one foil pack of Pedigree meat divided amongst them total cost about €12 per week.
I have been worried for some time about what goes into dog food and started looking for a healthy alternative made from human quality food. I was quite prepared to spend more and after some research found this recipe, total cost €12 per week!
Ingredients:
700g Pork Mince
380g Brown Rice
3 carrots
1 cup of frozen Peas
1.4L Water
1 sprig of Rosemary & Thyme
Method:
In a large pot, brown the mince with the thyme & rosemary. Add the carrots, the water and the rice. Simmer for 20 minutes then add the peas cook for a further 2 minutes then leave to cool. Refrigerate until using.
All of the dogs love it. My only concern is that it is a soft food so should I be giving them something to get their teeth into, if so what (healthy options only please)?
Is it a balanced diet for them? They also get occasional bits of fish 2 or 3 times a week.
Ann

kexon
Resident

Re: Homemade Dog Food

Postby kexon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Like the recipe, i know my dogs like all the ingredients you have listed as they get all our scraps along with sardines,eggs etc on different days.I would be interested to know what sort of dry dog food you should feed your dogs out here its incredibly difficult to get anything of reasonable quality without paying a small fortune.I always check the ingredients on the packaging but not all are very specific.I did read somewhere that carrots are the dog equivalent of happy pills,one of our dogs absolutely adores them.

doglover
Tourist

Postby doglover » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Annfoto :)

Your dogs will be delighted with their new diet :D But it is missing one vital ingredient & thats calcium. Dogs must have this & you can either give it in the form of raw meaty bones such as raw chicken wings or you can collect your used egg shells, wash & dry them then grind it to a fine powder in a blender.

A very good book is by Richard Pitcairn, his recipes are very easy to do & is packed full of useful advice.

http://www.housepetmagazine.com/05/Dog_Food_Recipes.htm

And below is a link that will get you started & put you on the right track. Good luck, you`ll find its not so difficult & a load better for your dogs than dry food!! If you need any help just shout, my dogs have been eating raw for a long time now :)

http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:25 pm

...sounds more appetising than the diet I have been following for the last 2 months :lol: (

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:05 pm

raw meaty bones such as raw chicken wings
I have always thought that Chicken Bones were a massive no no as they splinter

doglover
Tourist

Postby doglover » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:46 pm

anis wrote:...sounds more appetising than the diet I have been following for the last 2 months :lol: (

Me too Anis :lol:

doglover
Tourist

Postby doglover » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Lyric wrote:
raw meaty bones such as raw chicken wings
I have always thought that Chicken Bones were a massive no no as they splinter
Cooked bones are brittle Lyric, it`s cooked bones that splinter & shouldn`t be given. Raw meaty bones should be fine. My dogs get raw quails, I find chicken wings aren`t big enough for them but for smaller dogs they like the OP they should be fine. :)

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Do you know , you live and learn does not matter how old you get, i don't think that i have had a time in my life with out having a dog,put was always under the, i suppose old wives tales, that pork for dogs is a no no, and that chocolate is very bad for them?? so can you tell us what NOT to feed our dogs please,

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:51 pm

cooked bones = no
raw bones = yes

you're right no chocolate - it contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs

the pork, tbh is not such an issue but the reason is there is a slight risk of your dog being infected with trichinosis by eating pork. Trichinosis, also known as trichinellosis, is a worldwide, food borne disease caused by an intestinal roundworm which the originating animal would be infected with (i.e. the pig).

Here are the main culprits:

 Grapes and Raisins (& family of i.e. dates/prunes) can cause irreversible damage to the kidneys, possible resulting in death.
 Onions can cause a form of haemolytic anaemia called Heinz body anaemia, a condition that causes the destruction of red blood cells. Kidney damage may follow.
 Chocolate and cocoa contain a chemical called theobromine that can adversely affect the heart, lungs, kidney and central nervous system.
 Caffeinated items - Caffeine is quite similar to the toxic chemical in chocolate. It can damage the heart, lungs, kidney and central nervous system.
 Macadamia nuts, while generally not considered fatal, can cause your dog to experience severe illness. The actually toxin is not know, nor is the mechanism of toxicity.
 Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener most often found in chewing gum and candy. In dogs, it stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin, resulting in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Xylitol ingestion can also cause severe liver damage.
 Alcoholic beverages contain ethanol - a seriously toxic chemical compound that causes central nervous system and respiratory depression.
 Uncooked yeast dough’s also produce ethanol.
 Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, and plum pits contain the toxin cyanide.
 Mouldy or rotten foods can cause many problems for your dog, some more serious than others. Any food that seems "past its prime" should be kept out reach. Be especially careful to keep your dog away from trash cans.

Certain foods, while not considered toxic, can still be unhealthy for your dog. Avoid any foods that are high in fat, sugar or sodium. These foods can contribute to indigestion, obesity, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and more. Dairy products may be difficult for dogs to digest BUT on the other hand probiotic yoghurt for example is excellent for the tum

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:27 pm

I would be really interested to find out why my dogs find dried oranges so yummy,when i say dried i mean oranges fallen from the trees and practically dessicated!

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Donz, thank you very much for you information, we live and learn.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Let us not forget that a quick goog of "dog house spain" will show a suggestion of a vested interest.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 pm

No need to Google. Donz has declared his interest more than once on this board.
Brian.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 am

True, my intent was to point that out to those who were not aware, that's all.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:05 am

Hi,
The only hazard my dogs face when eating chicken bones is the local farmer's shot gun. :oops:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Here's my home made dog food recipe:

1 Buy chicken carcasses from Mercadona or local butcher.

2 Put on the floor & watch dog eat :D

A couple of times per week he'll also get some veggie puree made from boiled spinach, carrots, garlic and sometimes pumpkin. Make sure you cook & puree (or mash well) veggies as a dog's digestive system can't digest the plants cellulose so it will just pass through intact (you'll see when you clean up after them!!) My boy also occasionally likes a whole raw egg on top of his dinner and plain yoghurt.

Pork disaggrees with many (but not all) dogs and it is trial and error finding which raw meaty bones works for your dog. Mine can't tolerate pork at all, beef very occasionally and lamb makes his skin smell terrible. He also loves raw oily fish like sardines & mackeral but again, very occasionally as it also makes his skin smell funny :sick:

I find this diet much more cost effective than commercial and bonuses are that he does not break wind, has no smelly breath, has teeth that look like a puppy's (he's 6 yrs old) and is very easy to clean up after :D

I feed my 70kg dog around 800g-1kg per day (a bit more if he's been very active) and if I feed exclusively from Mercadona (99c per kg), it costs under €7 per week. If I go to the butcher's, I will often get free bags of carcass, but if I have to pay it's around 35-40c per kg so, under €3 per week.
He's been eating this diet since he was 4 months old and I've never had to take him to the vet for any health problems.
Enrique wrote:Hi,
The only hazard my dogs face when eating chicken bones is the local farmer's shot gun. :oops:
Ha ha!! Like it!!

Technobear
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Technobear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Our dog has eaten pretty much same as crazy reds, since a pup.
Chicken carcases main diet, some pig ( back part with tail) , we also give her tuna too, fish is good for them.
(We found coviran have chicken carcass with head, which she particularly enjoys :))

very healthy, great teeth, and really enjoys chewing on her food, and it's cheap and easy too.