Entring Spain with a dog

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Entring Spain with a dog

Postby starynightsky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi

Can any one tell me if I can bring a puppy (ie, 12 weeks) into Spain via the portmouth Santander ferry route, given the current changes in the pet passport scheme.

Also any one arrived a santander recently, ie since 1st Jan. what checks will we go through?

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Entring Spain with a dog

Postby Donz. » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:04 pm

when I arrived at Santander there were no checks - we had a signwritten dog vehicle, carrying 6 dogs - we just drove off and out onto the main road. I presume there could/should be checks however.

The law does not change for dogs coming to Spain - there still needs to be a clear window of 21 days after the Rabies vaccination before the dog can travel plus the microchip requirement. What has changed is re-entering the UK.

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:10 pm

thanks for that

this is what is confusing me from the brittany ferries website

What you need (EX UK)

A pet passport or third country certificate showing that the pet has been micro chipped and vaccinated against rabies. N.B. Your pet may not re-enter the UK until 21 calendar days have elapsed from the date of the rabies vaccination. A muzzle is also compulsory.

I´ve called and spoken with Brittany ferries as they say that all is needed is a rabies vaccination no 21 day wait?

Also as I can´t get puppy vaccinated untill the 12th week, can´t work out what needs to be done :wtf:

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:21 pm

it is a compulsory 21 days by the looks of it (and what I have always been told)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... DG_4000019

'Pets from EU and listed countries must:
•wait 21 days from the date of their first rabies vaccination before re-entering the UK or travelling to another country'

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:28 pm

does anyone know if I can bring puppy in befor it is 3 month?

Defra suggested a "tracer" but the ferry company won´t accept this. Puppy is would be about 10 weeks when due to arrive here, and as such can´t have a rabbies vaccination. :sick:

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm

might be worth contacting UK breeders that export puppies - I don't agree with this process at all but it might help you answer the question to see how they do it and IF they can do it before that age

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi starynightsky,
In both your posts you mention 12 weeks? So get dog Microchipped and vaccinated, and wait 21 days.(this was the old EU rule, UK just getting into line) Also Pets Passport.
It sounds like a one way trip ?
In the real world travelling from Portsmouth to Santander, at Portsmouth show Pets Passport and get vehicle sticker. At Santander drive out no checks. Coming back(to UK) is a different story as detailed checks, read Microchip and detailed scan of Pets Passport.
You will need to book a kennel on the boat, you get a card key and can visit at any time. Pont-Aven.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi thanks for that,

I will see if I can find some breeders in the UK that export and see what they do.

Not trying to do anything I against the law. it just this puppy is exactly what we are looking for and he is to young to have vaccinated. Don´t want to wait the 21 days out and have him brought over for us, when we are comming back anyway, as I would rather bring him my self.

Thanks

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 pm

I thought there was a rule saying puppies need to be a minimum age (? 4 months) before they can be exported from one country to another, even within the EU? This is irrespective of any other regulations

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 pm

You might find this link helpful

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveani ... nda_en.htm

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Looks to be 16 weeks (4 months) minimum before you can move the puppy abroad...........guess you have a plane B.
Not come across any info that says less :(

How did you get on with your breeder inquires :?:

doglover
Tourist

Postby doglover » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 pm

"Young pets which cannot be vaccinated yet may be allowed to travel without vaccination on the conditions defined by each Member State....."

taken from the link posted by Jools :)

I`ve flown 2 pups over from UK, not together & neither were vaccinated nor chipped but it was 12 years ago, I wasn`t asked for any paper work.

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi Doglover

Well it certainly used to be possible, I know that!

But it is not possible today, been with the Junta all morning and bascially if the puppy is not being transported with the mother for reasons of milk, it has to be over three months old vaccinated and then enter. ie. 15 weeks as a minimum. if comming by plane or ferry, bless then they said well just drive in from France!

ARHG.........................

Oh well never mind. :(

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Enrique wrote:show Pets Passport and get vehicle sticker.
Erm...........what sticker?

I think the rule of minimum age of 4 months is most likely to be there to protect the welfare of the puppy. IMO 10 weeks of age is far too young to be making such a long journey - to have only just left 'mum' and the comfort of the rest of the litter and face all those hours alone in a kennel on a boat would be very traumatic. I'm surprised any breeder would countenance it.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 am

just for reference the dogs don't have to be alone - when we travelled there were people up there at the kennels that didn't leave them at all and of course there is always the option of driving

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Footprint ,
Vehicle sticker is just for loading and is easy for spotting Pets transport through the dock area. Supplied by Ferry company.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Thank you Enrique - I'm doing Eurotunnel and hadn't read anything about a sticker.

Cheers :thumbup:
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.