Leishmaniasis vaccine available from Monday 16 January 2012

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Leishmaniasis vaccine available from Monday 16 January 2012

Postby Jool » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:45 pm

It is called Cani-leish, cost about 50 to 55 euros per injection, course of 3 required at first then annual boosters.

Suitable for puppies over 6 months and dogs that have tested negative - please note you must check your dog is NOT positive with any kind of leish score via a current blood test before you start any vaccinations

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Leishmaniasis vaccine available from Monday 16 January 2

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Jool
Not doubting what you said, just interested to see where you got your information from.
Sounds like a good idea. like to read up on it and have something to show our vet in case she isn't aware of it yet.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Here you are Gerry

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp? ... abled=true

Also this is from a Madrid vet on Facebook - their translation!

We want to inform you that from mid January 2012 we are offering our customers the first vaccine against canine leishmaniasis registered in Europe.
This vaccine can put both puppies from six months old, and adults negative for the disease. This serological test is performed fast, high specificity, which tells us whether or not the dog is infected with Leishmania. To be negative to be vaccinated, otherwise the diagnosis is deepened because of the severity of the disease, which affects not only animals but people.
The protocol for vaccination against Leishmania consists of three doses, the first by the test, and the following two separate three weeks each. It is also important to separate the time of vaccination with other vaccines CaniLesh of a minimum of two weeks.
It is important to note that one without the other two doses has no effect after immune and we must respect the three weeks between doses is not delayed beyond this time they'd then have to start again. For more information on leishmaniasis can go to the clinic at any time

Translation to English from a document from the Madrid Town hall:
• The adult flies bite at dusk and at night (as long as T ª exceeds 20 º C). They enter homes and kennels (insects endophagous).
• Immediately after feeding, the female seeks a safe hiding place done egg laying (insects exophilic).
• The vector in Spain (Ph. pernicious), prefers to feed on animals rather than man (insects antropozoófilos)
• The females also feed on plant juices.
• Females have a life span of approximately 1 month (time in which you start 3-4 cycles produce power-egg-laying).
• The insect is attracted by light (phototropism).
• The radio and flight range, although variable depending on the wind ...., rarely exceed 500 m.
• Because of its small size, these insects go through regular mosquito nets.
• They are seasonal, in Madrid, likely to be active from March to November. In winter, the larvae enter hibernation.
DIAGNOSIS
The detection of the mosquito is complex and requires the use of traps and special epidemiological surveillance operations.

Due to the potential severity of leishmaniasis is critical to early diagnosis of human infection / animal.

Any dog owner should be familiar with early symptoms and it is recommended that pets are subject to regular veterinary checks

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:29 pm

I checked all this with my own vet and it is available for them to order from Monday, anticipated in clinics within one week from order.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Jool
At last there seems a way of preventing a dog getting this killer disease.
Many thanks
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Just been chatting to my neighbour - he is having his young waterdog 'done' - cost 12€ per jab. Although he is related to the vet, it might illustrate that there is room to negotiate the costs?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Just asked my vet as to what is the cost.
Under €30 for the blood test and €40 each for the three jabs.
So less than €150 in total.
Will be getting our dog done soon.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:18 pm

My two dogs are going through the process right now. I paid 36 euros for the blood tests and 66 euros for the first vaccines yesterday. This between two dogs I thought very reasonable. When they have the 3rd vaccine they will refund the cost of the blood tests.

A friend of mine recently told me his vet was charging 100 euros for each vaccine.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:54 pm

I checked with our vet yesterday (probably the most popular one in Nerja) and his pricing was the same as yours Gerry 30 for the bloods & 40 per jab

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:39 am

One of our dogs has had his second injection. Gets the third in 10 days time. Cost of the course €120, including the blood test. Thereafter it will be one booster jab per year. Not sure of the cost of that though. We did notice that after each jag he is rather lethargic for about 36 hours, then suddenly perks up and back to normal. Told the vet about that as she is passing on all info to the appropriate people. She also advises continuing with the Scalibor collar as no imunisation is 100% effective and they do deal with other insects as well. Better safe than sorry.

Meanwhile, the Leish levels in our other dog have risen a wee bit. He is now on a months course of daily injections which should bring the levels down. They did two years ago. He will then go on a course of pills, don't know the name, which is apparently showing promise of helping dogs with low levels of Leish.

It's amazing how these treatments have come on in the last couple of years. Three years ago our infected dog was given 6 months to live, but he's still here and, apart from an ulcer on his nose, is as bright as a button. The treatments came just in time for him.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Irene Botwright

Leishmaniasis treatment

Postby Irene Botwright » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi There,

We adopted two Breton Spaniels to the UK via a UK dog charity in March 2013. They came from Valverde Animale Protectora. Both have been healthy until the vet found that one had swollen glands on an annual check up this year. They did tests and Cass has been diagnosised with Leishmaniesis. The charity say they tested before they brought the dogs over, and can't explain what happened. The only thing she has is a small wart on one ear, which we are not sure is connected. The vets say that she will need a years treatment with one drug, and a months treatment with another. The cost is about £3K. I am not sure if the insurance comany is going to pay, or are going to wriggle out of it, saying it's a pre-existing condition. The dogs were checked and vaccinated before coming over, and were checked when they arived, but nothing was found.

As this illness is so common in Spain, I wonder if anyone can tell me the treatment regime that is recommended in Spain, and what to expect.

Thanks Irene

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:16 pm

Sorry I can't help you Irene. Our dog that had leish already had it when he adopted us. I do remember he had to have a course of injections then pills which went on for ever. Eventually he died of cancer but don't know if that was related to the leish.

We subsequently adopted another dog via a charity. She had to be tested a couple of times as, according to the vet, the test the vet can do in the surgery can be a bit unreliable. That was a year and a half ago so maybe tests are better now.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Irene - so sorry to hear of your dog Cass has been tested positive for Leishmania. There are different regimes of treatment for the different types of Leish - one attacks the internal organs and particularly affects the kidneys (kidney function blood tests need to be done to check this) and this is usually treated with Milteforan for a month, with Allopurinol for 6 months. The other form is on the surface of the dog, crusty eyes, crusty and ulcerated nose, and ears, swollen joints with ulcerations and skin/fur disorders and this is treated with injections (under the skin over the shoulders - fairly painless) of Glucantime for a month, with allopurinol for 6 months - here it must be certain that there is no kidney problem before starting the Glucantime.
Usually the 28 days of intensive treatment is split up in 2 weeks, rest for a week, then 2 weeks more, or it may be 3 weeks treatment, 1 week rest, then finish off with a further week treatment.
Allopurinol is relatively cheap here at 3 euros per box and is a routine treatment for Gout in humans!!! It apparently works on the system to influence the way the Leish. works and helps the immune system cope. The Milteforan and Glucantime are the expensive ones and work out to about 200 euros for the month dosage, depending on the size of the dog. Then there are blood tests to be done to check on kidney function, and to check the progress in killing off the Leishmania.
They reckon that 6 months with the Allopurinol is sufficient .... your vet's expectation of a year seems excessive, and would only be needed in a very severe case.
If Cass does not have any symptoms, apart from the wart on her ear, she may not have a severe infection at all - there is a means of checking the degree of infection using specific tests - these can be quite expensive, at about 70 euros here in Spain, but can help the vet decide how intensive the treatment needs to be.
You may find it useful to ask your UK charity if they know of a vet in the UK who knows more about the so-called "Mediterranean" diseases and can give you better advice for Cass - if the Charity bring in dogs from Spain, they may have such a contact they can recommend to you.
I hope your Cass has a long and happy life with you - we have two dogs who have both had the Leish at different times in the last 12 months, each with the different version of the disease, and have come through the treatment very well and are now both testing negative. One of them tested negative with the routine blood test, twice, before the vet decided that the symptoms were definite and he had the more expensive DNA test done which finally showed it up!
Thank you for adopting two Spanish dogs.

Irene Botwright

Postby Irene Botwright » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks. Cass's kidney and liver results were good, so hopefully she has a mild case. Also, she is showing no symptoms except this small lesion in her ear which is like a small blood blister. The vet has contacted Bristol University to get dosages for the drugs, but I don't want them to over treat.
The dogs are really lovely, and are so good with our two children, aged 11 and 7.

Irene

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:22 am

It is good to know that you and your family are happy with the dogs you adopted ... do let us know how you get on, and at what cost eventually? I really think that a quote of 3,000 pounds is very excessive.
Hoping that Cass does well on whatever treatment they decide is most suitable for her.