Toxic Flea Collars !

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Toxic Flea Collars !

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Yikes....

I've just read a report that almost 60 brands of flea collars have been banned and withdrawn from sale in France...

Why ?..

Well , apparently they contain organophoshates, which are toxic insecticides that are known to affect the human nervous system.
Children are particularly prone as are people who have a lot of contact with cats and dogs.
The toxic insecticides are taken in through the skin, so constant stroking your pet wearing a flea collar is obviously a problem....
Now there are some collars that are safe, and of course there are other methods , such as Frontline type applications and some powders..
Pity that the Frontline type applications are so expensive, however I have always trusted this method more than the collars.

And after further research I note that the organophosphates were actually developed as NERVE GAS during the Second World War... :shock: ....Flippin 'eck.....

Surely there must be other safer applications available ?

Regards,
Gordon..

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Toxic Flea Collars !

Postby Lyric » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Where was the report Gordon ?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi,
Here is something on the issue.....................

http://www.connexionfrance.com/flea-col ... ticle.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi Lyric,
It has been reported in the French newspapers and also quite a lot of reports available on the internet, just Google 'Flea Collars banned in France'...

Some collars are ok, but I'm not sure which....

Regards,
Gordon

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks, good to see a list.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Those of us with dogs will be pleased to know that Scalibor collars do not contain the banned chemicals. This is because they are not flea collars but protect from sandfly, mosquito and ticks. You should use drops like Frontline etc. for fleas.
A Scalibor collar is still as far as I read the best insurance against Leishmaniosis in dogs.
A truly horrible disease. :cry:
Ann

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:13 am

Thanks for that Ann..

Could you please advise where is the best place to obtain the Scalibor collars ?.

We no longer have any pets of our own , but are currently looking after some street dogs, and would think it a good idea to kit them out with the Scalibor collars.

Many Thanks,
Gordon.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:51 am

They are not cheap Gordon, but if you google, I think you may get them cheaper on line than buying locally :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:00 am

Julie,
Many thanks for your very prompt helpful response. :thumbup: .

Regards,
Gordon.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 am

Gordon,
We buy ours from our vet.
Times are hard for most people and we try to support her as she works incredibly hard and is always there for us (even on Christmas Day once!)
We are lucky in that we can afford to do that otherwise we would happily buy from Amazon etc.
Ann

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:29 am

Ann,
Thank you for your help, I suppose I should also support the local vet, but can you tell me what sort of cost I should expect ?.
If they are too expensive I will probably have to visit the Amazon.. online shop...not the river.. :D .

Also do you know if it is possible to buy worm tablets without having to get them from the vets ?.

I've always brought them from UK in the past...

Regards,
Gordon..

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:54 am

Gordon,
We bought 3 collars last week along with Frontline, if my memory serves me correct they were between €16 and €17 each.
She usually provides us with worm tablets when we take them for their annual vaccinations which usually cost about €35.
I think there are dangers in giving dogs worm tablets. From memory the one that they should have by law here is for heart worm. The vet usually listens to the dog's heart to detect any abnormalities and if there is heart worm present as giving the worm tablet to a dog with it could be fatal. The worm tablet dose has to be carefully measured against the dog's weight.
Most people think that if a dog is dragging its anus on the ground it has worms - that is not what is wrong it simply needs its **** glands emptying, a simple job there will probably be a Youtube video showing how to do it. :lolno:
Ann

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Its the law to give heartworm treatment in Spain? I thought rabies vaccination was the only mandatory requirement?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:28 pm

I don't know about Spain but I was told by my vet that it was the law in Andalucia for dogs to be treated for Echinococcus once a year.
Ann

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Ann,
Thank you for your information,you have been very helpful, much appreciated.. :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:31 pm

I fit our cat with an Armitage Felt Collar - I dont have a spare one to check the chemical listing on the packet. Would anyone know whether this type is free from these suspect chemicals?

Terry

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Terry,
The list that I've seen is for mainly French manufactured collars, although many of these products are on sale in Spain in supermarkets such as Carrefour, for instance 'Friskies'.
And of course many of the products are probably sold in other countries under different brand names.
If you look at the list given earlier in this thread you will see the suspect ingredients, then possibly you could research the collar that you have.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Gordon..

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:13 am

Scalibor collars. Our vet sells them for about €17.

Amazon UK has them for £10.88 although there may be a delivery charge for delivery to Spain, not sure about that. I tried Amazon.es but a search for Scalibor there didn't come up with anything. The ones our dogs are wearing at the moment came from Amazon UK but we had them sent to our daughter in UK and we picked them up wen we visited recently.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!