Kennel Cough.

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
rafiki
Resident

Kennel Cough.

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Our Boxer dog has a terrible kennel cough. I am a little surprised because she has been vaccinated, although I know it's not 100% protection. Of course our vet clinic in the next town is closed today for them to recover from a féria yesterday. I just want to get something to ease that distressing, honking cough. Is there any home remedy that we can try just to ease her distress until we can get her checked out tomorrow?
Brian.

annfoto
Resident

Re: Kennel Cough.

Postby annfoto » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 pm

One of our dogs caught it 2 weeks ago but surprisingly the other two didn't.
She was as in previous occasions given Quentan powder every 12 hours for the cough plus a course of antibiotics.
If it is really distressing your dog then 'phone the vet on their emergency number and arrange to get the dog examined.
Ann

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:56 pm

She sleeps for long periods between bouts so we'll see how she is later this afternoon. Her little mongrel friend Sammy, a rescued street dog, has a slight cough and runny nose too but not on Lulu's scale. He may have some resistance as a result of his history, we'll see. After Lulu has a coughing bout he cleans her face and eyes for her so he is very exposed.
Brian.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Antiobiotics are the solution - I'd get the ball rolling today.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Not sure. She finished a course of antibiotics for a urinary infection only yesterday (Boxers tend to be vet-intensive!). I'll call her and have a word, something more specific might be needed.
Brian.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 pm

honey and a squeeze of lemon will help soothe her throat somewhat, I was also advised kids cough mixture is a good one

sadly the kennel cough vaccine is a bit flaky - there are many many strains and it just doesn't cover enough of them for my liking to warrant the vaccine itself

Has she any 'green' coming out of her nose?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:28 pm

No green. Just white frothy spittle from the mouth when coughing.

My old dad used to give his Labrador a reduced dose of Benylin. I used to laugh but perhaps it's worth a try.
Brian.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Dogs generally don't like citrus but honey is a good idea as it will sooth and is also anti bacterial & anti viral. You could also give a course of Echinacea tincture as it is a good immune system booster. Putting Eucalyptus essential oil in an oil burner or in a bowl of hot water in the room where the dog is can help open the airways. If you would like some homeopathic remedy suggestions please contact me. I'm not going to post it directly on the forum anymore as I get lambasted by skeptics for trying to be helpful.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks. She turned her nose up at honey with lemon and a little water but took diluted honey on its own. Sammy licked the bowl clean :)
Brian.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:51 pm

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:03 pm

katy wrote:http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/gundog ... -fatal.cfm
Thank you. Very useful info. I'll try the tracheal pinch test when she wakes up.
Brian.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:13 pm

We use 'Bisoltus' from the farmácia for the cough. Recomended by the vet some years ago.
Todos somos Lorca.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks Gus.

Lulu has had a couple of doses of diluted honey now and we both think that her coughing episodes are shorter and less violent. More time will tell. It seems she feels a bit better too so she may be just recovering naturally a little.
Brian.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:37 am

Hey Rafiki, how are the dogs? Got an update?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 am

Yes Katy. Both much improved thank you. We were scheduled to go to the vets next day anyway for Sammy's worming tabs so we took them both along for a check-up. They were given antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. The cough stopped after a couple of days. The antibiotics, I think, latterly, were giving Lulu, the Boxer, some stomach problems so I have stopped those 3 days early but Sammy is a tough little street dog and shows no problems so we'll let him complete the course.

I must say that the diluted honey was working well for Lulu and if we hadn't been going to the vets for the worming tabs we would probably have waited.
Brian.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Glad to hear the coughing boxer is better :D
A course of probiotics after ABXs is advisable and would especially help the boxer if she was experiencing stomach problems. You can get children´s ones from the Farmacia or give a good live yoghurt with some honey drizzled on it. I also give this to my dog if he´s been sick or has an upset tummy.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks crazyred. I'll give her some of my wife's kefir with honey.
Brian.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Kefir!! Even better!! :thumbup: Does your wife have any excess grains she´d like to share or could she tell me where to get some in Spain? :D