Spanish Water Dog

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spanish Water Dog

Postby Kelly4 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 am

Though it pains me (and the kids even more) to be writing this, we have come to a stage where we can't manage to keep our dog and we're looking for a new home for her. She is a Spanish Water Dog (with papers), chocolate and white, four years old. She is exceptionally intelligent. She has always lived with small children and is very gentle.

I have had to return to work full time and am on my own with four children. Although we love her, we simply can't dedicate the time to her that such an active breed requires. She needs to be with a very active family (preferably with some land) and, most importantly, her mind needs to be kept active. She's a working dog and she will do anything for you but, I have to be honest, if she is bored she will make her own fun. She is not in any way destructive but she will escape. She just wanders around for a bit and she always returns but it's actually illegal and we have no way of keeping her in (she is very agile) without tying her up, which we don't want to do. When she is out for a walk, she will stay by your side, she rarely barks (unless to advise you of a genuine threat) and has never been problematic with other dogs.

I can email photos if you are interested. But please think carefully. She is a stunning dog but she is a handful. You can train her to do just about any trick in about five minutes and (when she is with you) she is very obedient but she would like to challenged all day and we simply can't offer her that.

Thank you

Kelly

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Water Dog

Postby Lyric » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am

As ever with posts like this it would be of great assistance to know, roughly, where you are located.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:09 pm

may I suggest if you are having trouble at the mo while looking for a new home, with keeping her in and safe, that you crate train her? She can have a large enough crate so as to be comfy and most dogs really love to have a den of their own. You can then have her in there while you cannot watch her knowing she is safe (so long as it is not ridiculously long times of course!)

Photos will always help your case. Good luck with your search, sadly all the rescue centres along the coast are full :thumbdown:

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:52 pm

Hello

Thanks for your replies.

I will try the crate training. Thanks for the idea. She managed to scale our patio wall today (it's very high but these dogs are very agile). I will post a photo tomorrow. We're in Marbella.

Kelly