Tics on dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Tics on dogs

Postby karandjon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Our dog (unfortunately my other dog disappeared 8 days ago and hasnt been seen since :cry: ), has gotten loads of tics on her coat. The crab types that get bigger by sucking the blood and the bodies growing huge and grey!

The front-line we give regularly does not seem to be making any difference and she will only let me take 4 or 5 off before deciding she has had enough!

Does anyone else know of anything more effective I can use to eradicate them from her. They are crawling all over her the poor thing. In all our 10 years here we have never seen them like this before.

Thanks,

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tics on dogs

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi karandjon,
Try switching to Advantix.

Have you one/two of these tools :?:

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~pro ... fAodhHQAIA

Also its team work.........one of you removes the tic the other follows immediately with a solution of Tea Tree ( or your favoured antiseptic) , before moving on to the next pesky tic.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:40 pm

If you want to kill them with an insecticide you can buy a Frontline spray but any fly spray containing pyrethryn compounds will do it. Permetrina is the common one - look on the can - they don't harm the dog unless you saturate it.

Best approach is the right shaped tweezers. I have a pair I modified by bending the ends inwards so that they can get a grip under the body to make sure you pull out the whole thing. You mustn't leave the front end in or it may get infected.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:44 pm

There is a tick gadget for sale, very cheap. Can't remember were we bought it. I think some pets attract them more than others. Some of ours never got them at all, others had one or two...and I had one :shock:

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:29 pm

O'Tom Tick Twister - comes in two different sizes.

When I was staying with friends their two dogs used to come in covered in ticks. One of mine who was with them never got one. If a dog has a really soft silky coat they seem to be more prone. Mine have double coats and thick skin and don't seem to be affected.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the link Enrique. I have just purchased one of them tick twisters. will be much easier with that.

Her body has lots of the small crabs on too, which is how they start out i presume, before their bellies get full of blood.

She has a soft silky coat, footprint, so you may be right.

Will look for the spray too Sid, thanks.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

sarah28jg
Tourist

Postby sarah28jg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:14 am

Best thing we found against tics is the Xcaliber collars - we used supona and frontline sprays at the beginning of summer but both dogs still had odd tics on them. But since putting on these collars - nada!!

They are more expensive than other brands but last longer and do work for our 2 dogs (Mastine and Bodegero)

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:20 am

sarah28jg wrote:Best thing we found against tics is the Xcaliber collars - we used supona and frontline sprays at the beginning of summer but both dogs still had odd tics on them. But since putting on these collars - nada!!

They are more expensive than other brands but last longer and do work for our 2 dogs (Mastine and Bodegero)
Totaly agree, the Scalibor collar works almost 100 % against tics. We are in the campo and get a lot of goats grazing on our boundaries, but never have any problem with tics.
Hardworking resident !!

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:57 pm

dont know whether we have been lucky this year or not with our dogs, but due to circunstances, I could not afford to keep buying frontline or any of the other expensive solutions for ticks and fleas, so for some protection I brought the 1e 98 cent pest collar from mercadona and touch wood no problems, and .the dogs are out in the olivegrove quite alot
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.