Training puppies

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
rafiki
Resident

Re: Training puppies

Postby rafiki » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 am

Footprint wrote:I would never sell two puppies together....
Would have saved us a lot of heartache.
Brian.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:55 pm

sadly so many people WILL sell 2 puppies together - over the years we have seen many customers who went to buy a pup from a breeder and fell in love and had 2 'to keep each other company' or 'coz they were just so cute and they were the last 2' and these sellers are either not professional and respectable breeders (i.e. puppy farms, uneducated breeders, or one off matings) or they just don't give a monkeys.

IMO, a breeder needs to be FULLY educated in their field and know far more about dogs than just how to care for them for 8 weeks. Sadly it is another area that is not regulated but at least very recently starting to be licensed but we'll see just how much of that is followed up. €2000 fine for anybody caught having a litter without a licence more than once as I recall (might be slightly wrong but I know that's pretty much it).

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Donz. wrote:IMO, a breeder needs to be FULLY educated in their field and know far more about dogs than just how to care for them for 8 weeks. Sadly it is another area that is not regulated but at least very recently starting to be licensed but we'll see just how much of that is followed up. €2000 fine for anybody caught having a litter without a licence more than once as I recall (might be slightly wrong but I know that's pretty much it).
Fully agree - and this starts well before any breeding. Apart from the obvious time, facilities, finances, waiting list for pups etc - it should start with whether the female has the required attributes to even be bred from i.e. conformation and soundness of mind as well as body, and the selection of a suitable sire (which should not be the dog that lives next door).

Unfortunately everywhere you look here you see a female who has or is feeding puppies. I wasn't aware a licence is required but that won't stop all the breeding - whether intended or not. Many spanish do not appear to believe in neutering and seem to have a different attitude as to caring for their dogs and keeping them safe. Bit like the person who hit and killed a litlte dog on the road here - then threw the body into my field.

Sorry - I'll get off my soapbox - we seem to have hijacked the thread.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 pm

No problems with thread hijack :)

We did not intend to get any dogs let alone 2 and yes they are hard work but I am the pack leader and OH is the softy, his problem and he is a bit of an old fusspot. I on the other hand am not soppy and have many years experience teaching stroppy teens so can do tough love.

They do play fight and have drawn blood both on each other and us but are getting better and calmer
even the cats are not running away from them now, they only walk fast . :lol:
Today I took them for walks along the track on leads, our neighbours were taking their older dogs too off lead and let ours off to run with theirs. Little Lola doesn't know she is a tiny dog and took the older and larger dogs on in every run while Pepe stayed at my heels and only jumped up at the big dogs when he was near me. Fortunately our neighbours are experienced dog owners and are teaching me to be more confident.

I do occasionally suffer from post puppy depression after all its rather like having twins in your mid 60s but a decent siesta with them in their crate and I can cope.

Thanks to you all for your support which has helped me through a few tough days but they are now learning that I won't tolerate bad doggies and bribery with puppy treats gets me a long way as does lots of praise.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:39 pm

well done Sujee you sound like you're getting on top of it all :thumbup: You know where we are for help, photos and sharing the lovely stuff too!

p.s. Those razor teeth and needle claws DO go...... :lol:

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 am

Sounds like they are having fun. Well done for taking them on - as Donz says - the teeth do go eventually and your hard work will be well rewarded.

The 'post depression' is quite normal - don't worry about it :)

Love to see pics when they are grown up. They look a bit like fluffy corgis at the moment from your pics - so cute.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.