OCA licence

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
murbisa
Resident

OCA licence

Postby murbisa » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:32 pm

We are considering renting out our finca with 6 stables. The stables are block built in a row of six. 3 have doors and 3 have open fronts.
Can somebody clarify who has to apply for the OCA licence, the owner of the property or the horse owner. I am getting conflicting stories from people.

Also what are the requirements for the licence and where do we go to apply for it.

Hope someone can put me straight.
Thanks
Muriel

Footprint
Resident

Re: OCA licence

Postby Footprint » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi - the horse owner will have to apply for it - it will be their name on the licence.

It took me all of 5 months to get my licence for my alpacas but that was more down to the ineptitude of the local office and a vet.

After making application the ministry vet will inspect the facilities etc to ensure it is suitable - there is a long list of things they will check but basically it is to ensure the owner can look after the livestock adequately i.e. secure fencing, sufficient grazing land, water, feed storage etc. After that - and assuming favourable - the licence will be issued.

You could check with your local vet or town hall as to your nearest OCA office - I know there is one in Ronda and they are excellent but I would imagine there must be one nearer to you.

In my case it went on for so long, the vet lost face and didn't even bother coming out - they just issued the licence.

There is no cost involved unless the owner hires the services of someone to put together a 'project'.

If you cannot find your local office PM me and I will give you the phone number of the Ronda people - who will be able to give you that information.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks Footprint for that. Next question is if the horse owner already has a licence on another premises can she use it on mine. And if not, can the owner of the other premises use it or would they have to apply for their own licence.

Does the licence apply to the property or the person??

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 pm

First of all I'd say to be absolutely sure you should contact OCA for your area.

As far as I am aware a licence to keep horses is at a particular premises. I don't think that licence can be transferred to another premises without advising OCA who are then likely to reinspect and will issue a new licence.

Mine is a 'farm' licence and is specifically to enable control of the movement of 'farm' animals. Before they left my friend's farm they had to be tested for Brucellosis. The tests were clear and they have now been moved under another licence to my place - 20 minutes down the road!

I am not aware that horses are under such restrictions but I stand corrected if I am wrong. This property already has a licence in place for up to 4 horses and movement does not seem a problem.

So to answer your question - the licence is on the premises but approach OCA to transfer to another owner if necessary. If your premises does not currently have a licence you will need one.

Hope this helps.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.