any recommended cat couriers to uk

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
leahsgirl
Tourist

any recommended cat couriers to uk

Postby leahsgirl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:03 pm

hi,
We are moving back to UK next month after 9 years and we are taking our beloved cat with us, she adopted us 5 years ago lol so I am hoping that some of you can recommend a reliable pet courier service as I havent used one before, I have looked online and they all seem good but i am hoping I can get some definite help here thanks leahsgirl

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: any recommended cat couriers to uk

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:29 am

If you search for "pet couriers" on here you will find several threads about various companies :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

leahsgirl
Tourist

Postby leahsgirl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:18 pm

:) Thanks for the advice found a few I have contacted just waiting for replies and we will make decision from there.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:43 pm

My inlaws had the cat transfer organised by doggies and moggies near Churriana. I dont know if there still going tho.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:24 am

Please check that whoever you chose is approved by DEFRA and is fully licenced to transport animals into UK, in a vehicle that has the appropriate certificate for the job. There was an article in a local english newspaper recently ( Sur or EWN, can't remember which) about a company working as pet couriers that did not have the necessary bits of paper and the animals suffered badly during their trips, or didn't even survive. Sorry, can't remember the name of the company but I know it was one I had seen advertising regularly. I know that one of the requirements of the vehicle is a seperate, controllable air conditioning unit in the rear carrying space of the vehicle. There are different certificates needed for whether the journey is under or over 8 hours, regardless of the planned stops on route.

I will be looking for transport back to UK for my 13 year old moggie sometime next year and I will be sure to look up the regulations at the time. and if the company advertise that they hold the required documentation I will ask for copies of it. Good luck, and I wish your dear cat a happy and stress free journey to UK.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 am

When we came here to live in 2005 we brought our cat by air - I flew out first then my OH took the cat (duly inoculated and chipped with passport) to the airport, where he was loaded onto a routine flight as cargo. The airline had to be an approved one for animal transport (they knew to heat and ventilate the cargo bay to avoid delivery of a dead moggie!) and I collected him from the cargo area at AGP. OH flew out the next day and I collected her, but not from cargo!
We had to provide an approved air transport box, and the fare (organised through a freight handling company) was around £350 IIRC, plus the box and vet costs. It was a normal Thomson flight from LBA at that time, and few airports were authorised to handle animal transport. The reason for the staggered departure is that they could not guarantee that the cat would go on that flight, so OH had to be ready to repeat the process the following day or whenever there was a suitable flight.
It did mean a possibly disturbing experience for the cat (being boxed, loaded, and having three hours or so of unexplained noise!) but he came through it fine, and we thought it better than a day plus in a van or whatever.
If there is a good friend here to cover any rescheduling of flight, perhaps you could look into this way of doing it, with all your party travelling together. I assume that you would not be driving back, as then you could take the cat with you.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:43 pm

I recently got quotes for flying my cat out here as I thought my son was going off to Oz for some time. The quotes ranged from £750 to £1500. For one cat! And someone had to take her to the airport and I was supplying my own box as she already has an airline approved one - and she has her passport.

Gone are the days when you can deal directly with the airline - all have to be through an approved handling company and they certainly know how to charge!
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 pm

We flew our two cats out with Jet2 from LBA but I think they have to be taken back to Manchester. The cost was around £300 for both! You have to contact Jet2 by phone at their Manchester base. The number is not easy to find on the website but we were very pleased with the service we got from them. I can send you the email address if you pm me.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:25 pm

seems my post has either disappeared or been removed (maybe because it recommended a few companies but I thought that was allowed if somebody had asked for recommendations?)

If you would like those recommendations again please private message me - happy to send them. Nothing to do with my company may I add! We don't do pet courier travel :)