Dog Feeding

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
fincalospinos
Resident

Dog Feeding

Postby fincalospinos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:06 am

I have a 7yr old irish Terrier who is a couple of kilos overweight.

The vet has advised that I change his feed from Hiils science Plan Light to just cooked chicken, rice and some raw carrot.

I am a little concerned that this diet would not provide all the necessary vitamins and minerals, and would be pleased if anyone can advise.
Hardworking resident !!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dog Feeding

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 am

Hi fincalospinos,
Cut down on his regular food, just do it steady. Give more exercise again build up steadily.
Unfortunately the "directions" on the feed packets are way over for quantity.
We have a JR and he was putting on weight so did above and now he is a lean mean running machine, can't quite match the Huskys :) , can join in a pack howl too. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Enrique, thanks for the reply,and what you suggest is one option, but it didnt realy answer my question.
Hardworking resident !!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:50 am

Hi,
You have answered your own question in a way..........
"I am a little concerned that this diet would not provide all the necessary vitamins and minerals"

If you want to keep the vitamins and minerals balanced then continue with Hill's but give less.

I give my dogs "regular" adult kibble, keep a record of their weights and if we have a period of low exercise due to the weather( gets really muddy up on this mountain) or the hot summer then I cut down on daily food.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 am

The diet your vet is suggesting is an interim measure to reduce his weight. If using good quality ingredients there would be sufficient vitamins etc. Your 7yr old will not convert proprietary dog food that is loaded with god knows what in the same way that he did when much younger. It isn't necessary to load up your dog's digestive system with all that stuff on a daily basis.

Enrique is right though - more exercise is the real key. And the daily quantities suggested on the labels are over the top.

You also need to consider that every dog is different - use your eyes to determine what is required.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:29 am

[quote="Footprint"

Enrique is right though - more exercise is the real key.
.[/quote]

Thanks for the replies, but give me a break on the exercise folks, we already do 20K a day , any more and I will be knackered!!
Hardworking resident !!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 am

Hi fincalospinos,

"we already do 20K a day"............ok so cut down on the food.........and treats...... :D

I don't even run my Huskys that far........... :(

Looking at the "numbers".....I'm feeding half what the bag says for the weight of dog.

All dogs are different, so weight out the food and keep a check on dogs weight.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Put him/her on "Senior Lite" for a couple of months, you'll be surprised at the results and no risks for the two month trial.