The local Mayor wants us to move the dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

The local Mayor wants us to move the dogs

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 pm

The Mayor was on the local tv last night saying he wants to send any stray dogs to a ´refuge´ in Sevilla (Bormujos?) He says any ill or dangerous dogs will be put down (and old???) and they will try to re-home the other dogs- so what happens if they can´t re-home them? We think that any dogs not re-homed in a short space of time will be destroyed.
He has not spoken to anyone from the refuge in the town about this ´idea´ The building we are in is a council building, so he could throw us off any time I guess. We have 43 dogs, 2 dogs I would be happy to see go! We have 2 really ugly dogs, they will be put down I bet. There is a Pit Bull, he is a lovely dog, he will be put down. It is really upsetting to have this hanging over us. The tv programme then showed photos of 2 snarling dogs, which have never been at the refuge, I suspect they got the photo off the internet of the most dangerous dog they could find.
We are doing our best to re-home our dogs, in the past week 3 have gone to new homes. We are funded by donations and fund raising and have started to get the males castrated. Once the males are all castrated we intend to start getting the females spayed, we are a small group doing our best to help the stray dogs. It is a pity the Mayor could not speak to us first before signing a contract on the tv :wtf: Why not support a refuge on his doorstep? Why support a refuge 60km away?

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: The local Mayor wants us to move the dogs

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:17 am

All ok!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: What was not said on the tv programme is that the MAyor has made an agreement to get the other refuge to take 20 dogs from a lady, who has them all in her flat. PHEW :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:54 am

That's great news :) The the thing I like about facebook pages, is how many animals are getting re-homed by people just putting them on the local sell/buy or just local interest pages :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:48 pm

It's really good to hear that there are still some good people trying hard to help abandoned cats and dogs, quite difficult in this dire financial climate.

Well Done ! :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:16 pm

My CHristmas will be : Sunday morning- refuge, Christmas Eve, Refuge Christmas morning refuge!! Looking forward to seeing the dogs :thumbup:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:33 pm

I wish I had some land now as I would definitely have had the Pit Bull :(

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Rocky is a lovely dog. He was thrown over the fence one night, his ears had been hacked off. He loves a cuddle! I will post a photo of him when I get home, I am in the car at the moment. Rocky is due to be castrated in the new year. :thumbup:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Aw, poor boy!! I hate seeing dogs with cut ears and docked tails, even worse when it's a DIY job :(. I have a Presa Canario with his natural ears and people keep asking me why they're not cut!!
Nooo, don't post a picture!! I'll cry 'cos I can't have him!!! If I win the Euromillions anytime soon and get my dream campo house, I'll be up to collect him :wink:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Here is our Rocky...... despite his bad start to life he is a great dog. Full of mischief.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:18 am

A man came to the refuge the other day, asked to leave a dog there, he was told sorry, we could not take any more dogs due to a bad skin infection (caused by a nasty creepy bug :shock: ) So a little while later a small dog was put through the open window :shock:
The lady did not say no because she was being mean, it was because of the bad infection :thumbdown:

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Olive - at least the dog wasn't just dumped in the campo or street so there is a positive side to this - even if it wasn't an ideal situation!
I can spell but I can't type

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Olive - at least the dog wasn't just dumped in the campo or street so there is a positive side to this - even if it wasn't an ideal situation!
I can spell but I can't type

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 pm

The dog is being fostered in the home of a friend of a lady from the refuge, for a week or so. We had 3 newborn pups left in a flowerpot at the door a month or so ago, one of the dogs at the refuge had had pups a couple of days before (she arrived a week previous very pregnant) she adopted the 3 new pups. Sadly one died after a few days and last night when I was at the refuge we found another had died. The 2 pups were playing and were fine the day before. I took the remaining pup to the vet and the vet said pup has viral pneumonia, so her chances of survival are slim, but I am hoping she will be ok. She is now spending Christmas and possibly New Year in my bathroom :thumbup: The vet thinks she is a poodle cross. She is so silky to stroke. We are not keeping her :thumbdown: 5 dogs is 4 too many :lol:
I hope this can be a good Christmas story for black pup.