Any suggestions for feeding a 5 week old puppy?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: Any suggestions for feeding a 5 week old puppy?

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Daft question, but where would I buy calfs liver and what is it called? And how do I get her to chew or lap? My kitten was never this hard, I mashed her kitten milk into ground up kitten biscuit and that was that!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Have you tried her on minced meat raw? None of my dogs would eat liver, infact one of them rolled in it as if it were cow dung. Just wondered, have you tried leaving her alone in the room with a dish of something. Our Vet said never to give pups milk unless it was goats milk.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Hígado is liver maybe hígado de cordero or de los corderos ?

It is funny how things change, all offal I remember being told not to feed my pup back in UK years ago. Also never to give dogs milk nor cat food.

Leaving it with the food is an idea maybe will eat when you don't look :-)

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 am

Higado de cordero (lamb), vacuno (beef), the butchers should sell it but I have also recently seen it in Mercadona. Pigs liver my lot won't touch and it does smell a bit like wee so can't say I blame them but, calf's/beef they loved. Ox heart they nearly knocked me over trying to get hold of. It's not good to feed too much offal (especially liver) as it has a high Vit A content but small amounts is fine. I agree with Katy re raw mince. Minced beef, chicken or turkey would be fine too and I also agree about leaving her alone with it. Mince doesn't need much chewing and is easily digested so is ideal.

If she still has the pneumonia, she may not be really ready to be weaned yet and may still need a bit of babying. Goat's milk is great and can be fortified by mixing with live yoghurt, cream cheese, raw egg and fish oils. You could even blitz it in a blender with a bit of liver :D

I think you're doing a fab job oliveview and I'm sure the pup will pull through fine and will one day show you some gratitude for your efforts :clap:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 am

We had a terrible night, pups breathing was dreadful, we really thought she was dying. But she would get up and walkabout, do a pee or poo and go back to her bed. I spent all the night on the sofa with pup beside me in her bed on the floor.
She walks about as if she is not weak. She was sick a bit this morning. Her breathing is much quieter now. I feel like I have been out on the booze all night.
Pup, I have called her Laura, after the lady at the vets, she has been great helping me sell key-rings I have made to pay the refuge vets bill.
What I would like to do to the person who abandoned the pups newborn at the refuge door is not printable :evil:

Thanks for all your advice :thumbup:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Pup is not so well :( I have tried to ring the vet but the phone is ´out of cover´ what is the good of an emergency number if the vet is away??? There should be another number we can ring! All the other vets in the town are not actual surgerys, the vets have surgeries in different towns

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:42 pm

This pup (Laura) will be the death of me. At about 12 mid day I thought that is that, she is going to have to be put to sleep..... she is now breathing much better :thumbup: I gave her a half doseof her antibiotic as she was sick long long after the morning dose, I thought she had nothing to lose. She slept on the sofa for an hour, she seems to like being around folk more now. I am now off for a 2 hour siesta. I have to make 100 meringues for New Years eve (mid day the celebrations start) and I have 2 carrier bags of sevilla oranges to make marmalade with...... I just need to get motivated. I will be after my siesta I am sure. How folk cope with lots of babies I will never know!

Our dog had a small fit yesterday and the Labrador we adopted in August has a fungal infection, so much for thinking he was eating his feet with stress! :oops: :oops: So he will start his treatment tomorrow, I have to pick up the special shampoo from a lady at the refuge. Animals!!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:37 pm

This is for all you dog/cat/goat /horse/any domestic livestock owner whose animal has itch,problem sores,scabs not healing and similar.
A few years ago we had a share in a racehorse who kept managing to damage himself in his stable and when he was turned out.
We used a cream called camrosa and it was actually manufactured in the village where I used to live
Several years later my brother's cat had a similar problem that the vet couldn't solve with all their potions.
His cat reacted badly to a flea jab and for months had a really badly irritating scruff of the neck and lost all it's fur in that area.
I remembered the cream ,bought some for him and the cat was cured in no time.
www.camrosa.co.uk
It's expensive but it works.
No connection to the company at all.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Sunday update: Another night of sleeping on the sofa beside pup´s (Laura) bed. Her breathing is still bad, she makes a crying type sound, but she walks about strongly and when her bad eyes need scratching she stands on 3 legs and tries to wipe her eye with her paw, so I amtaking that as a good sign. Her weight has gone down a lot though, just as well she was a fat puppy.
This morning I bought a jar of baby food (chicken and vegetables from the farm) I mashed down the carrots and potatoes and spoon fed her that, an hour later she has not sicked it up. I am going to feed her a couple of teaspoons every 2 hours, along with the Aquarius water.
Anyone got any matchsticks to prop my eyes open? :lol: Just off now to make 100 meringues and some marmalade :thumbdown:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Pup (Laura) is very poorly this morning, after an excellent afternoon/evening yesterday. Her weight has gone down rapidly. She is now at the vet on different medication being fed intravenously. We can only hope for the best. She is a fighter..... that is in her favour. The next 24 hours will tell what is happening I guess.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:21 pm

Poor little soul :cry:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 pm

I hope she does well today - my thoughts are with you as you have tried so hard to help this poor puppy. Please keep us all updated.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Hope no more news is good news. You have done a great job with her.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:03 pm

The thing about animals is you have to ask yourself " Have I done the best I can for them"
In your case, you most certainly have.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:52 pm

I've my fingers crossed for Laura. :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Laura is stable. My Spanish friend rang the vet as speaking on the phone can be difficult for me in Spanish. Stable is better than worse, not as good as better, but it will do for now. :thumbup:
Happy New Year to you all xxx

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:24 pm

Keeping all things crossed for her, take care and best wished for 2013.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:16 pm

Best wishes for 2013 olive .
Hope it all works out well :thumbup:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 pm

I rang the vet at lunchtime and Laura is unchanged. My Spanish friend also rang the vet, she said he was going to try to get Laura to eat (don´t fancy his chances there)
I am at the refuge first thing tomorrow and then off to see Laura. My cousin was telling her daughter (a vets nurse) about Laura and she said the chances of her surviving are very slim. But you never know, she might do it!

I will pass on to Laura your good wishes :thumbup: :D

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Any news on little Laura? I have been following your dedicated adventures in trying to save this pup :clap: and do hope she managed to get through into the New Year? :(