fighting pups

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

fighting pups

Postby sujee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 am

The latest problem with the pups is that when we put their food down the male attacks the female it is very aggressive and she hides and shivers and won't eat. This morning we fed them apart but when he walked near her even after she had eaten she growled at him and he attacked again. Apart from this they get on very well and sleep together happily in their crate. They are not due to be neutered until later this month or next. has anyone any ideas as feeding is becoming a nightmare and even dangerous for us when we try to separate them.

thanks
Sue

Footprint
Resident

Re: fighting pups

Postby Footprint » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Sujee

Sorry to hear of your pups fighting. How old are they now? I hate all the 'doom and gloom' responses you often get on here but I hope this is not the start of how things could be.

Personally I would still feed them together and monitor it - as soon as you see the tell tale body language signs deal with it immediately. You are going to have to get very tough with them both so that they know you are boss and will not tolerate such behaviour. Splitting them up for feeding is the easy option but is not really tackling the route of the problem.

Neutering may possibly remove the male's desire to be pack leader but no guarantee. It is you who has to be that and exert your authority - you need to rearrange their thought patterns and stamp it out now. If you don't then that show of aggression will move on from feeding to other things.

They are young and testing the boundaries - and taking the pi5s at the same time.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 pm

too right footprint .. some sense in what you say ...

A rolled up news papper wacked over the agressors nose is called for when ever it get stroppy ... If your not the pack leader then your going to have problems !

For pups in particular .. spare the rod and spoil the child ! ...Animals are not PC.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 pm

My cousin had similar problems with her two dogs (brothers) they would fight for no reason and the vet refused to castrate the dogs, he said it was not good for them :wtf: (they live in France) When their vet was on holiday the holiday relief vet castrated the dogs. They still have the odd ´ argument´ but are mostly friends now.
At the refuge we have 2 brothers, they are best of friends until feeding time when the bigger of the brothers gets aggressive with the smaller brother. We have to put their food way apart and stand guard if we can. Neither are castrated, but they are approaching the top of the list of dogs to get done, they might be the next dogs :thumbup: not sure. We hope it will improve the bigger dogs ´manners´

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks we seem to be taking the non PC approach and its nice to have it confirmed. I hadn't thought of rolled up newspaper... was using hand on backside :lolno:
Good to know i have the back up i need here. you guys are the best :thumbup:

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:59 pm

It may help if you are able to establish yourself as boss of the food.

While you are getting it ready make the dogs sit and wait, then when you put it down for them, still insist that they sit and wait until you tell them they can eat.

You may need to enlist help since there are two dogs, or just feed one at a time until they have learned. Then you can feed them together again.

Even the liveliest of dogs should soon learn to do this as they food will make them highly motivated to learn.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi,
Use the same technique as the pups Mother would use, roll the offending pup on its side and growl.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 am

With our dogs here we get them to sit and wait.... there is lots of tap dancing feet as they are told to wait, but they are much better. The Lab would sit and wait all night, but the small dog, 20 seconds is too long :lol: But he is improving. When we bought the Lab home there was much growling with our other two dogs (I had forgotten) but as long as we feed the slower eaters first they all finish about the same time, so peace reigns.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:57 am

I agree with Marina - we have two dogs of our own and take in rescue dogs for fostering from the local Protectora and we have had a variety of sizes, characters and ages. It is important that they learn to wait while you prepare the food where they can see what is going on, but not too close to be in the way, and have chance to jump up etc. If they act up, then you stop all preparation and stand still, until they get the message that they wont get the food until they are quiet .... when YOU are ready, they must still sit and wait as you put the food down, and only approach it when YOU say ok. Try picking it up again before they move to it sometimes, so they know that it is YOUR food rather than theirs, and that you are in charge. You should soon be able to move to the food when they are eating and be able to take the bowl away - the dog should sit and wait again, for you to put it down again. All this is to show that you are in control, it is your food to give as pack leader, and theirs to have only when the pack leader allows. When they know the rules, they should accept that the pack leader is you, so neither of them has claim on it over the other. If misbehaving a poke in the ribs just behind the shoulder should be enough to get their attention, and a rolled up newpaper even banged on a worksurface rather than on the dog's nose or rump can be enough to snap them out of it.
If you know that the male is likely to move in on the female's food, you must stand between them, ready to warn him off, with the newspaper if need be - show him who is boss and show her that you will defend her. He may even need to be put down on his back or side, from time to time, so he knows how to submit.
Good luck and keep calm! :thumbup: