Telling the sex of a cat

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Telling the sex of a cat

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:17 am

Nimrod wrote:If it sits in front of the telly it's a male.
If it hangs about the kitchen it's a female
...ours more or less lives in the kitchen, and is male (he's partial to almost everything we eat, but especially 'butter') :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 am

Mowser wrote:So many helpful comments, I don't know where to start! Thanks DA. :thumbup:
Assuming it is more than 6 month sold then whether it's male or female, get it neutered.
Just take it to the vets, they should be able to tell which sex it is. :thumbup:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 am

I agree with Gerry. I neuter both males & females but it can get expensive (I'm trying to save to get a squawking female 'done' at the moment). If you tell the vet it is a feral cat then many do a discounted rate & clip the ear. You could also check with any local animal charities if there is a neutering scheme in operation.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm

We were given a 3 week old kitten years ago, the mother had been run over and it was us or a bucket of water, we were told it was female and it was more or less raised by my German Shepherd bitch. At six months I took it to the vet for the op when I went to collect it she told me it was a tom, I disagreed until the nice young lady vet told me she had lopped his b-----ks off she added that the cat was twisted and thought it was a GSD. We knew the cat was mixed up, because when anyone knocked on the door it would tear down the stairs growling. He bit the postman twice!

Mhic.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Our female cat, just 18 months old, runs up to the gate when our dogs bark at folk going past and she plays with the dogs. She was terrible when she came into season at about 6 months old, she fell in love with our son and our neighbour too, her operation could not come soon enough!

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Experiencing that at the moment Oliveview, she's driving me crazeeeeee :crazy:
Sadly don't have enough cash at the moment to have her 'done' so I'll have to put up with it for a while longer. With my luck, her sister will start just when I've sorted her out :roll:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:00 pm

I know how you feel crazyred! My daughter's two cats have been taking it in turns to be on heat and driving us all round the bend with the yowling and squirming! But they have had their ops now and it's such a relief! I joke that there are 3 post-op females in the house lol (I am post-op too :thumbup: )