Info needed for bringing my dog to Spain

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
ElVochoClassico
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Info needed for bringing my dog to Spain

Postby ElVochoClassico » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Muchas gracias :)

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:13 pm

El Voccho
Our dogs have had their Scalibors on and renewed as suggested on the packets, and still managed to come down with Leish this year ... now we discovered (too late of course) that in fact Scalibor only gives about 70% protection, so you are recommended to use Advantix as well - and of course the Advantix only gives about 75% protection ............... I just wonder if they give different bits of protection or both cover the same :crazy:
There is a vaccination available too, but apparently this doesn't give complete protection either :sick: so a Scalibor is recommended even if you have the vaccination done!! Also the vaccination - which is apparently the BEST protection can only be given to dogs that have not been exposed to the infection - yours coming from the UK would be a good candidate - so you may want to consider it and I wonder if you can get it done in the UK before you set off?
(Our dogs have had their treatments and are doing well, but certainly Leish and the other local diseases passed on by blood sucking flying bugs, and ticks (garrapattas) are best avoided if you can)

ElVochoClassico
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ElVochoClassico » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Brilliant, I shall have a chat with my vet here next time we go in :) he's due his annual boosters in 2 months so I'll speak to them then. Do you have more problems with ticks over there?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:31 am

Ticks over here are nasty things - start off looking like a small crab-like spider, but once they attach to the animal's skin and start sucking, they swell up like a raisin soaked in brandy - very nasty. Once attached they are very difficult to get off, because it is most important not just to pull them, as they leave the jaws behind embedded under the skin and that causes further problems - see other postings as to best remedies to get them off. And the females, once established, give birth to a legion of tiny ticks which then spread out and do their work too!!
They can give dogs and cats a form of blood infection, they can pass on parasites, and they can pass on diseases like ehrlichia (happily this last one is now treatable by a short course of antibiotic) - all very nasty and worth avoiding!
Ticks tend to live in long grass and green vegetation, and by stagnant water, until a passing warm-blooded animal offers a new home ... then they jump on board.
Uck :thumbdown:

ElVochoClassico
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ElVochoClassico » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 am

Eeuuugghhh Gasman! :sick: They sound horrible! Toby says he doesn't want any of them on him and can I please find him a repellent or something to make sure he doesn't get anything nasty like that ;-)

Ticks here don't really cause many problems, although I gather you have to screw them out rather than pull them out, not had the opportunity yet :sick: :shh: :D

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi,
Will depend on where you settle in Andalucia..........up this way ticks not too much of a problem.
Use Advantix once a month during the season.

Have used this tool for removing......find ticks more trouble in UK............ :shock:

http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/p-1370- ... tAodP08A9A
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ElVochoClassico
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ElVochoClassico » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Use Advantix once a month during the season.

Have used this tool for removing......find ticks more trouble in UK............ :shock:

http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/p-1370- ... tAodP08A9A[/quote]

Sounds like it's easy enough to control then, not something I'll be worrying too much about as long as treatment is given, same as fleas and things here. Never had a tick on my dog here - but that could just be the area I live and walk him I guess, if I was in an area with lots of sheep I think that would be a different story. :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 pm

SPAM.....report button not working.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:49 pm

The Mediterranean diseases dogs can get here are no joke and no fun for the dog nor owner. I had a lovely little rescue dog who suffered with one of the tick diseases for many years and sadly she died April this year during another flare up. I have another little one who came as a 2 week foster but immediately I knew she was ill and needed testing for the tick diseases. Her level for one so high I thought she had little chance but a month of meds, 2 months without then a special blood test and showed no sign of the DNA of the parasite. She will be tested again in Feb just to make sure she is clear. ( My decision not the vets) Having a dog that suffers from the episodes is awful to see, the parasites cause major organ failure. I proptect my dogs all year not just in any season. Anyone with dogs should make it their duty to make sure they do all they can to keep them safe from these diseases.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:34 pm

Referring to the SPAM above, yes, it is possible to buy Scalibors in many places cheaper than our vet's prices. However we buy gladly from her because that bit extra is recouped many times over when one takes into account all those times we get a checkup or consultation and sometimes even treatment without charge for our three mutts.
Brian.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:24 pm

Certainly agree with you there Brian.
Works exactly the same at our vets.
So worth paying full price for some of the items when we save money by having lower vets bills.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:31 pm

katy wrote:SPAM.....report button not working.

No it's not working.

A PM to me or Beachcomber will have the desired effect.

Thanks Gerry for the PM - the spam and spammer have now gone.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:07 pm

I've mentioned it before but I'll say it again....
Put a drop of tea tree oil on the tick and it loses its grip and you get the whole thing off. Any oil is good but tea tree is antiseptic as well so sorts out any local infection problems. :wave: