Castrating dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Castrating dogs

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Conversation with neighbours cousin yesterday:

Her: I have 3 beautiful puppies, do you want them?
Me: No
Her: They are very beautiful- but I have 5 dogs so cannot keep them.
Me: I have 7 dogs (2 being fostered) plus 5 x 1month old puppies and their Mum (abandoned) so no I do not want them. I suggest you take a photo of them if they are that cute and put the photo at the vets.
Her: OK Can you put them on the internet?
Me: Yes, but there are so many puppies at the moment being found it will be impossible almost to find a home. A local vet has a special offer for December, 60-70€ depending on the weight of the dog for a female to be sterilised. Take the Mum there.
Her: Who will pay for the operation?
Me: You
Her: Oh no, I am not paying for a dog to be sterilised.

I walked away. Why do we bother? The special offer is a brilliant offer, but even at that it is too much! She is not a poor pensioner either! I have been sent information of a lady in La Linea who has had 13, yes 13 spaniel puppies dumped at her gate, eyes closed still. Some days I could just cry :cry: :cry:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Castrating dogs

Postby olive » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Spanish neighbour . You aren't sterilising your dog and your cat are you?
Me yes.
SN. Its cruel not to allow nature in an animal.
Me Well I would rather not bring anymore into the world as we can't manage with anymore.

Later.

Same neighbour is disposing of her next unwanted litter of kittens by braying them against a wall in a hessian bag till no noise.

Different spyche? who knows. I used to put it down to animals here don't have souls.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:09 pm

It is sad that some people just dont get , its is so upseting :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:44 pm

A friend (English) I was staying with recently is known in the village for her love of animals. We went out for a couple of hours, and when we cam back there was a tiny puppy in an open box, crying for its Mum & half out of the box. The vet reckoned it was 2 - 3 weeks old, and although it was absolutely infested with fleas, wouldn't treat it as it was too young to withstand the chemicals. The vet also said the puppy (female) had a hernia, and was possibly blind :thumbdown:

My friend took her to see a relative who has dealt with animals all her life, and who sprayed & rinsed the puppy about 4 times to get rid of the worst of the fleas, ehich were under the skin & coming out of her eyes. My friend then fed the puppy (half & half water & condensed milk with an egg yolk & a little olive oil) on demand all that night and for 3-4 days after. When I left on the 4th day, the puppy (now named Blue because of the colour of her eyes) was toddling round the kitchen floor ! It's obviously early days yet, but a vast improvement :thumbup:

We heard that another puppy from presumably the same litter, had been found in one of the villages rubbish bins - I believe someone else has taken it in...

first day...

a few days later...
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:58 pm

A common comment from our neighbours when I'm walking our three rescues: a Boxer, a German Pointer and a little white b*****: 'They must eat a lot!' . Sums it up really. :thumbdown:
Brian.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:23 pm

One of the little dogs we are fostering was pregnant, living rough by a chiringuito, we were asked to help her, we did otherwise god knows what would have happened to her and her pups. Luckily the vet said the pups could be aborted, there were 8. We did not like getting it done, but what choice was there? I asked the chiringuito bar owner if I could put up posters and a collection box...
.might as well not bothered, cost 1,20€ for the pot, 1€ for the photos and I put about 2€ in the pot to start it off.....collected 12€ we were told that there is a lot or respect for us for what we do, but respect does not pay vet bills. The rescue group paid the bill, luckily.

Little Caneli was terrified when she came here, escaped 3 times, she seems settled now, not too many nervous pee's now. She sleeps on the sofa beside our dogs now, instead of hiding in her box. She is supposed to be going to the UK, but that will be a while away, she needs to learn to trust first.

At least mum and pups are off to Barcelona this weekend!

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:06 pm

All the rescue centres we know of are always bursting at the seams,only a change in attitude will change the situation and I fear that will take a very long time.I think a special offer at the vets is an excellent idea,where is that?
Maybe I can persuade some of the locals,its always worth letting them know,especially if it means less puppies and less bxxxxx being endlessly pregnant.Keep up the good work if everyone does what they can it all helps.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:14 pm

The vet is in Marchena, his phone number is : 955219019 / 650230084 the price for females is 70-85€ and the males 65-75€ all depending on the weight. The offer finishes the end December. I can´t remember his name, he is known as ´The Mexican´