Advice please on anti-dog barking devices

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
EdX20
Andalucia.com Amigo

Advice please on anti-dog barking devices

Postby EdX20 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:33 pm

After over 6 years of being a hi-tech nomad in Spain and elsewhere, recently I bought a cave house near Baza (GRANADA) to do up, enjoy and to use a base for further mobile-living jaunts. Now a great thing about previously having "no fixed abode" is that the solution to almost any problem I encountered was to... MOVE. And it might only be a few metres. I used to crack an unsympathetic evil smile as I read about ex-pats with all their fixed-home problems like noisy neighbours, uncooperative utility companies, washed-away access roads, etc. Sorry if that was you :)

Before buying the cave place I was well aware there might be problems with "campo dogs" and their aggressiveness and noise, but it all seemed pretty peaceful on my visits to the "fixer-upper" property that I fell for. However...

As I write, from my caravan parked outside the cave, it's lovely and quiet. But... the local mutts go through phases and when they are all hyper/bored/frustrated/unhappy or just plain malicious, it can be a bit much.

I am aware of devices that claim to reduce or cure the barking problem, but having read reviews on eBay or Amazon they almost appear mixed - working for some buyers but not others.

So just wondering if there is a guaranteed-cure machine, or any other tried-and-tested solution out there that I can at least try. I'd also be very interested in a pocket dog-zapper/silencer to use while walking or cycling around. Believe me, I have had fleeting thoughts of poisoning and guns and denuncias and all sorts of nasty quick-fixes (especially when one particularly piercing dog cry persists for hours), but realistically, no, not for me or for my conscience.

Til now I have made a verbal report about loose dogs and noise at the Policia Local, but nothing changed. I also mentioned it at the town hall - they confirmed it was a Policia Local issue and to chase up my complaint. I intend to do so, but in writing this time. I have copies of the dog-poop fine info leaflet, so I can definitely ask for that law to be enforced against owners of dogs allowed to roam freely and poop where they feel like.

I don't feel it's a good idea to make enemies of my new neighbours, although I have already made my feelings known to one old woman who seems to think having her large, loose, aggressive, unhealthy-looking dogs barking and chasing me up and down the lane is "harmless".

I feel so sorry for these poor animals that, instead of being loved and loving pets and friends of the owners, well fed and walked three times daily (on a leash!), they appear to be neglected and abused and condemned to living on their wits with no training and no rules. No wonder they cry for help.

Since I am at a loss to understand why the local people should subject themselves to the noise and to the expense of dog food (if any) for no apparent "return", (other than a possible burglar deterrent?), I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this mystery for me. It's probably my least favourite aspect of my otherwise favourite place to live and enjoy - Andalucia.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Advice please on anti-dog barking devices

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:12 am

Irritating, frustrating problem.etc....
However there is little that you can do about it, and if you fall out with your neighbours you will just add to the problems, my advice is to try and make good friends of your neighbours , buy some ear-plugs and chill -out.... :thumbup:

You will eventually get used to the barking, but I have to advise you that the first 25 years are the worst.... :lol:
May I Wish you a Peaceful and Dog Barking Free New Year.... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon...
ps.. The anti-barking devices are useless... :(

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi EdX20,
After two weeks the dog barking will be background noise and you will not notice it. Like traffic noise in UK..........I've another week to go before the M3 noise blends into urban living...... :D

For keep the chasing dogs at bay I've used the Dog Dazer in the past with varied results. Not carried one lately.
The trusty stone works well too, was having trouble when running the Huskies on the Dog Scooter, the goat man's pack would come out snarling and looking very aggressive, one stone and now when we pass they just come out and watch............. :D

I've left one on the brakes on my MTB to squeal when applied and that clears the road when descending the mountain............. :D

As for the poop outside the casa just pick it up, its only dog marking.......... 8)

Its life in the campo, you're not going to change it so just go along with the flow............... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

EdX20
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby EdX20 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks - not quite the suggestions I'd hoped for, but thanks again :)

I dropped a note into the Policia Local on my way to the supermarket this morning, it was alerting them to the worst offender. A dog that didn't just bark, but howled and wailed and it just sounded so sad and awful and really quite painful to hear. I followed the noise and noted the address of the apparent source.

By the time I returned I was surprised and delighted to note that the noise, which had been going on for the last few days, had stopped - so there is hope! And I think the other dogs were in some way responding to that one's pitiful cries, for it's remarkably peaceful here now (although it is entering siesta time).

I'm not actually in the campo, but near the edge of town. Semi-campo...

I see what other replies I get on here, and meantime I suppose I could look upon the old woman's horrible mutts as free stranger deterrent for my home, too. Glass half full and all that. At least they bark only when someone passes, and not many do.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Incessant dog barking would be my ultimate nightmare I really could not stand it and doubt I would ever get used to it but thankfully it does not happen close to me. I get the odd one but my dog alarm noise alerts the owner and the poor thing is taken back indoors. I have a Bark Free machine which works for me but anyone that has borrowed it says it did not for them. It does have to be within its range of the animal. That confuses me as I have used it for years.

The first time was for two German Shepard's who would bark at anything that moved or breathed it seemed. Endless noise day and night. A few weeks of the machine placed the corner of our garden re trained them to be quitter, they still barked just not at the same decibels nor for so long ( it hurts their ears. Much more acceptable, the owner was unapproachable about anything, he thought he owned the urbanisation but all he had done was buy there like the rest of us.

I also have a have a hand held dog alarm for dog of the idiot behind me who thinks his dog attacking is funny. I am not so bothered with it now as I have made a barrier in front of my house with dog repellent spray so it won't come down and foul now.

EdX20
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby EdX20 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks, I may just try ordering various different devices and trying them, then returning those that don't work. I suppose their success or otherwise depends on each dog and its tolerance of the ultrasonic noise produced, and perhaps also its intelligence and aggressiveness.

Meanwhile today I was outside painting most of the time, and it was one of the most peaceful days yet, although the troublesome dog I reported did pipe up about lunchtime, but only briefly. Seems likely the owner has had a talking to by PC Plod.

I agree that getting used to it would not be an option for me, if the previous levels of noise return. I just wonder how the other residents can be happy with it.

Anyway, once I have completed my renovations here (when? when? :) ) I won't hear a thing deep inside my cave dwelling and there will always be the option to head for the hills/coast/anywhere in my caravan to somewhere else, if only temporarily.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:04 pm

It will disappear into the background eventually. Used to drive me mad in the UK but doesn't bother me here. It is only if my own dogs bark at ??????????????? that will drive me mad. ´
Think yourself lucky you haven't got a Peacock looking for a mate sounding off from February to
August ! lol Every time lorry/trailer rattles at night Percy would let out an almighty squawk. :lol: Never even noticed it in the end.
Todos somos Lorca.