Driving with the dog

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Pete'nKim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Driving with the dog

Postby Pete'nKim » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:33 am

We are driving to Andalucia in Feb with the dog and would welcome tips from others who have done so.
We will come through France, Paris, Bordeaux etc. and would welcome tips on dog friendly stopping off and overnight stays. We are coming from Birmingham so plan to spend a day getting into France, then an overnight, a long driving day with regular dog stops, another overnight just before or after entry to Spain and then one or two days in Spain.
Tips and hints gratefully received.
Remember - Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Driving with the dog

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Pete'nKim,
Search the Site............ dog friendly hotels

loads of posts with info.

Hotel Alisa at Lerma (33km south of Burgos) is dog friendly, I always use this on on way up.

I put this list together 2 years ago might help...........not used any myself, I always do the Portsmouth to Santander route on Brittany Ferries.

If you plan to drive through France you may find the following pet-friendly hotels useful as a stop-over to break up your journey.

Bordeaux

Novotel Bordeaux Centre - centrally located. Tel: 00 33 556 514 646
P´tit Dej Hotel Lormont - close to motorway. Tel: 00 33 556 749 988
Mercure Bordeaux Le Lac - close to motorway. Tel: 00 33 556 505 000
Hotel Altica - very close to motorway. Tel: 00 33 557 977 070

Libourne

Mercure Libourne St Emilion - centrally located. Tel: 00 33 557 256 418

Niort

Kyriad Niort - close to motorway. Tel: 00 33 549 333 839
Ibis Styles Niort Centre - centrally located. Tel: 00 33 549 242 221

Orléans

Mercure Orleans Centre - centrally located. Tel: 00 33 238 621 739
Hotel Escale Océania - centrally located, on the river. Tel: 00 33 238 544 765
Adagio Access Orléans - centrally located. Tel: 00 33 238 784 600
P'tit Dej Hotel Ageris - close to motorway. Tel: 00 33 238 706 161

For alternative hotels you may find the following websites useful.

www.laterooms.com
www.booking.com

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Last twice I have done the trip using the tunnel. I have used the Secrotel Cuidad de Burgos loads of dog running room for exercise. Free secure parking or paid underground parking. Easy trip to Burgos for great tapas. Ibis Styles Tours food in hotel good but bit pricey, not so good for dog exercise but the French motorways have great Aires for dog exercise and The Ace Hotel Poiters also free parking and eating place right at the entrance or in town not that far away. Dog walking close by. Took picnic food for day time and eat at the Aires while the dog had a great play. Enjoy the trip.

Pete'nKim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pete'nKim » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:59 am

Thanks for the replies. We are here now and stopped at one of the IBIS in Rouen and then the El Cid in Burgos (beautiful hotel and the the dog was welcomed). However, we got there on shrove Tuesday and there was a drumming group in Town that scared the !*! out of him.
Remember - Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:42 am

Be aware that there are often fireworks going off at fiesta time (of which there are many), so if your dog is nervous of loud bangs it would be worth finding out when your local fiestas/ferias etc are. In our area there is also something called candalaria around 7 September which is similar to the UK bonfire night. In some areas they let off huge fireworks all night long .... depending on where you live.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:01 pm

If your dog is not too old .. take it out, on a lead , deliberately when there are fire works going off and try not to fuss over it. The things that dog are scared of is the not knowing where the bangs are coming from. Once it can associate the bang with something tangible it will stop being scared ....
That's how Gun Dogs are trained

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:20 pm

We used mostly Premier Inns as really cheap and have no problems with dogs – also the best continental brekkie you can get for the price. :thumbup:

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:03 am

There is a pet friendly Novotel at Biarritz, right on the beach, ideal for walking the dogs.
Hardworking resident !!