Where to buy a dog guard for the car? Torrox

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Where to buy a dog guard for the car? Torrox

Postby Buffy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:19 pm

I need to buy a dog guard for the car. Preferably a good quality, adjustable one that will fit behind the front passenger seats and then used at the rear of the car later. Does anyone know of a good place to buy this near Torrox? Also any recommendations as to make / model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Where to buy a dog guard for the car? Torrox

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:55 am

Hi Buffy,
Ok not local but very good quality and specific fit for the vehicle and no drilling like some OEM ones from Dealers.

I've got three of them for three different vehicles .

https://www.travall.co.uk/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks Enrique :thumbup:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:42 am

We don't use a dog guard, we use a sort of lead. One end clips onto the dog's collat and the other end clips into the rear seat belt fastener. Not expensive and available at some todo shops. They work well, stopping the dogs from getting in the front, which satisfies the guardia/trafico. However, not so good if there are passengers in the back using the seatbelts or if the dogs are muddy. The seats get mucky.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:07 pm

That's interesting Steve: That is all that is required to keep the road police happy in Spain. But I am travelling through Europe to Spain from Turkey. I found one on the internet here. So no worries.

But can I ask you? Is it OK just to put the dogs in the boot of an estate car (with the parcel shelf retracted) when driving on the roads in Spain? That is what I plan to do when I am living there. For once I may have clean seats for passengers. Or do they have to be attached by a harness?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:26 pm

My understanding is that something has to be in place to prevent the dogs getting into the front of the cat and interfering with, or distracting, the driver. Like anything carried in a car, it is also to prevent the animal becoming a missile in the event of an accident and injuring passengers.
Last edited by Campo Steve on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:29 pm

Yes. I'll put up the guard thingy but do you think they have to be harnessed? On Spanish roads that is

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi Buffy,
I normally travel with dogs in "boot" with harness and chained to floor mounts, car is Kangoo, have parcel shelf half open.

For "road" trips use the dog guard so they can be "free" in the boot for overnight stops.

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Hey Enrique,
You're being like my personal advisor today. I really liked that dog crate on the site you sent me. I'm so excited about moving to Spain. Got all my papers for the dogs and cats. I have bought a Renault Megane Estate. I hope they all fit in! :P

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi Buffy,
Looking at the Megane Estate........quite a good boot size......will depend on how large your dogs are.

My three Sibs fit ok in the Mark I Kangoo Boot area with the rear seats in the normal position, the smaller dog(Bodeguero Andaluz) is happy in a harness and clipped to the rear seat belt fitting on a short line.

For a water supply I use the non-spill dog bowl...........you can get these from other suppliers .

https://www.travall.co.uk/travall-road- ... h=771_808&

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Cats are going in the boot for the trip to Spain. Dogs on the back seat. They are medium size mutts - rescued. When we are in Spain the dogs will be fine in the boot. Loads of room. I have to make thee cages or possibly four (stroppy cats) to fit the boot. Driving back from Torrox with the car to Turkey next week and then back to Spain at the end of March. And then I'm not going anywhere for a long time!

Thanks again Enrique - that is a very good product