Has any cat in the world ever swallowed a tablet

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has any cat in the world ever swallowed a tablet

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:41 pm

We don't always manage to get it on a paw. Sometimes it ends up as a streak on the cat's back as it runs away.
The cat still licks it off to clean itself so it is still a successful method.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:52 pm

is it something you can buy from a pet shop rather than a vets? What is it called in Spanish? We have a very old tube of cat toothpaste which was malty and they loved that, but I think we should buy some new stuff.
Due to the difficulty giving them tablets I buy the spot-on wormer Droncit which is really expensive and they need two tubes put on at a time as they weigh over 5kgs. It would be cheaper to get the Drontal tablets online if I thought I could adminster them this way.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Malt Paste in Spanish.
Made by Friskas, Super sol sell it and pretty sure Mercadona and Eroski or any pet shop sell it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:26 pm

We buy ours in Mercadona. It's in the pet area. It looks like a tube of toothpaste, blue with a white cap. It's just called MALTA and the trade name is Vifos.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Is that it's purpose? or is it used for other things.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:35 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Katy, will you get another cat in the future?

We went without one for 10 years since the old Tom shuffled off to cat heaven at 19.
I would never say never :lol:

All our cats have chosen us except for one our Daughter dumped on us. We took one to Spain with us and she came back too. She was almost 21 when she fell ill. We are trying to resist anymore, would like another dog but it restricts us for lengthy holidays. We like to take winter holidays and our friends from Yorkshire were delighted to come to Spain for 3 weeks a couple of times in winter as we paid their air fares.. They are not so keen now as the last time they said it was a nightmare driving down with the ice and snow! Daughter has cat and dog for a couple of weeks and she works from home some of the time but it's no fun having to take a dog out before commuting to London. I don't like kennels as one of my Dogs died in one many years ago.

Perhaps I should entice someone to come over from Spain and do Xmas shopping :wink:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:32 pm

katy wrote:Is that it's purpose? or is it used for other things.
It's for fur balls mainly Katy.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:48 pm

What you need is a pill popper! Google "cats pill popper" if you have not seen them before. It is still a two person job and sometimes if you do not manage to get the popper towards of the back of the cats mouth the pill will be spat out. But trust me the device is worth its weight in gold.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:29 pm

I'd seen those Len but to be honest I now reckon the malt method is perfect with not a jot of trauma.

As an aside, flippin kittens seem to be like hens teeth now in the UK......."kittens free to good home" seems to be a thing of the past.

We wanted a Tabby like old Tom and the couple of local farms that had kittens wanted £60 each for them, no tabbies so no deal there.
All the sanctuaries and cat rescue centres were kitten-less too, some had them but they were with fosterer's until 9 weeks.............then it would have cost the thick end of £100 for one.

We ended up doing a 100 mile round trip for ours, from Lancashire to the Wirral , £60 we paid but money well spent. 4 of the litter had already gone and just ours and her little Tomcat all black brother remained. Apparantly black cats don't get taken up as quick as the others. He was a little beauty and we were half tempted.......until the owners said he had a home there with his mum for life if he didn't get snapped up.
I noticed one thing though, some people are now jumping on the "Bengal" thing. A lot of the ads for Tabbies say "half Bengal" when they without doubt aren't........but it boosts the price of them I guess.

Yep, neutering and the likes seems to have stopped the millions of kittens looking for homes I remember 20 years or so back.

Funnily enough we rescued 3 what I believed to be 4 week old kittens in Competa a year + back, wish we could have got one of those home hassle free. We rehomed them on our last day of the hols and still see 2 of them with their new Spanish families :mrgreen:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm sure there's still plenty of kittens available here DA. Our big old English ginger boy died a few years back and after a year we really wanted another. I contacted a friend who works for CAS and I got several offers the next day, ending up with our ginger boy in the photo I posted above. He is more like an oriental cat, very slim and long-legged and 'talks' an awful lot.

It's funny how you say that black cats aren't so popular. This one turned up a few years ago at the house and he gets on so well with gingernuts that we kept him and he is a real sweetie.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:06 pm

I am led to believe that black cats are unlucky in Spain

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:13 pm

That might explain something as we have three black cats. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:05 am

Even in the UK I've seen people mention that black cats are unlucky, whereas I thought they were lucky, particularly if they crossed your path.

I have bought some Friskies Malta now so we are ready and prepared for the next dose of pills :lol:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:12 pm

El Cid wrote:We buy ours in Mercadona. It's in the pet area. It looks like a tube of toothpaste, blue with a white cap. It's just called MALTA and the trade name is Vifos.

Sid
Our baby Girl is very faddy (very CAT) and only eats one type of dry food (Purina)
Apart from prawns, which she will kill for, the only other treat she goes for is Dreamies, or Mercadona's version (Bocaditos Rellenos). I thought I'd try some malt paste, to give her something different for a change. Lucky for us she doesn't need a pill, because this is most definitely NOT the delivery vehicle for us. She took one sniff of it on my finger, and ran off to her carrying box to hide. Considering this is only ever used to transport her to the vet, this suggests a serious dislike to malt! :crazy:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Simple. Stuff the pill inside a prawn!

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:40 pm

Anyone else's cat suffer from OCD like ours? Please tell me yes.

Just one example..........her bog habbits.

She takes 15 minutes to prep her always spotless lit. I kid you not 15 minutes. She has to build a pyramid with it then she let's fly on top and only when you've left the area of her loo and out of sight.

Then another 15 minutes of frantic over the top covering it up, possibly more. Christ help us if she inadvertently touches the turd during burial, she then goes ballistic wiping her paws at lightining speed on the edge of the tray, her scratching post and anything else nearby. She then without fail fly's up the stairs post dump like a Eurofighter on reheat, then back down just as quickly and needs to have a peek to see the jobby is not visible.

If OH empties or clears the dropping befores she returns to look for it then the whole contents of the tray gets flicked out over the floor in a desperate and time consuming and pointless hunt for the missing turd.

She also will only use the one type of lit and will burst rather using another brand.........believe me we've tried.

I've yet to mention her eating and sleeping habits............runt of the litter we are now fearing :mrgreen:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Sorry DA, our cats normally went outside until they were nearing the end of their lives. OH's 'ginger whinger' used to have a tray, & she would dig for England, spraying litter all over the floor, then squat with her bum overhanging the edge of the tray... :roll:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:40 pm

:lol: :lol: very funny DA

We have catflaps so no litter tray thank goodness, but one of our cats does come in at hundred miles an hour after she's been for a dump outside. One day she came in so fast she took the cat flap door clean off its hinges :crazy:

I wish she was so fastidious as yours is as she just goes then runs away from it without covering it up. She doesn't like to go too far away so has the disgusting habit of going in the gravel just outside the terrace area, or when we had a lawn she used to go there. We have always lived out in the sticks and are surrounded by fields and campo, but she likes to go close to home which is really annoying. (Luckily my OH is the official pooper-scooper in our house.)

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:11 pm

HaHa....nice one guys, good stories :mrgreen:

I don't think we'll ever be letting her out here, a bit too much wildlife that eat cats about.........and ours thinks she's the toughest animal on the planet so I fear for her :lol:

Now meal time..........she gets a bowl of food, whether it be biccies, wet food or chicken etc.

She nibbles it from right to left in the bowl with almost satnav precision in straight and thin lines until the circle of food has become an exact half circle............then she leave's it and simply will not touch the other half. You have to spread it out again and she'll start the process again...........it's like watching a bleedin' type writer but without the "ding" when the carriage flies back!!!

And finally the weirdest, weirdest thing is bed time. We thought we'd never let a pet sleep on the bed but have had to give in...........the cries and the tears bring the roof down, and this has happened from the very first night of owning her.

However that's not the whole story, she fly's up to bed when we go up and snuggles down, then it's trip after trip up and down stairs bringing and dragging every toy she has up the stairs and on to the bed.............this rigmarole takes another hour :mrgreen:

Yep, we've tried hiding the toys but she won't settle...........we take them up to the bed for her to save her the hassle and the little b*stard spends an hour hawking them downstairs again...........OC bloody D!!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:49 pm

What a character .... I'm glad ours aren't like that!

A couple of them do insist on coming to bed, even in this heat. We wake up in the middle of the night and there's a little black furry cat-face on the pillow between us. He then seems to remember how lucky he is to have such a lovely pussycat home and he gets up and purrs and purrs and rubs up against us for about 10 minutes us leaving us all covered in his hair .... not good in this heat :thumbdown:

Then gingernuts comes in and I'm sure he has some oriental blood in him as he just yowls and yowls at the top of his voice .... not for any apparent reason. We see him sitting outside doing that sometimes.

They are funny though ..... wouldn't be without them!