Bats

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
fincalospinos
Resident

Bats

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am

I have just noticed for the first time a bat flying around my property. Having watched it carefully, it seems to be " nesting" or whatever it is they do, in some old brickwork in an adjacent building.

I have two questions which I hope someone can answer, firstly, are they protected here in Spain as many are in the UK, and secondly, who should I contact to find out more.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Hardworking resident !!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bats

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:41 am

Not sure if they are as protected in Spain as the uk but I can tell you they will multiply and become a right nuisance. Our neighbour in the uk had them in his roof void on his house and within 5 years there was over 2000 in there. They always leave a few in the colony when they migrate and return every year to breed. At night it was like the M25 in our garden with them flying around. When they left one year he got up and put expanding foam in the hole. They have not been able to get in for a few years now. My White car was covered in droppings and urine stains and officially there is nothing you can do.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:28 pm

spanish name for bats - murciélagos
Quick google search came up with the fact that there are several endangered species of bats in Spain. Also, apparently they rarely still carry Rabies, so do not get bitten by one!!
http://secemu.org/en/los-murcielagos-espana/ This shows that all species of bats are actually protected in Spain ....

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm

I think it would be Seprona who oversees Bats. I used to have to waft them away when I walked the dogs in Spain. I see them here in summer, they fly from the bushes and hedges to some trees in the centre.

There are 13 species living in tunnels at a stately home nearby. The bats leave in late spring for the fields etc and return late August. The tunnels are then closed to visitors until they leave. I think they are cute, except for the ones I saw in a bat cave in Kenya which were at least the size of a large rabbit.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 pm

If you want to see big bats go to Fuengirola zoo. They have fruit bats with a 4 foot wing span. Scary things.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 pm

We had a colony of bats living in our porch roof when we lived in France. As far as I was aware they lived there all year long and didn't migrate. I used to go out at dusk to watch them all fly the roost. Sometimes they'd take a wrong turn and end up flying around our bedroom or living room when the windows were opened, eagerly chased by the cats!

We once had a very smokey BBQ near to their roof (Toulouse sausage!) and the poor bats thought there was a fire so fled their roost and hid behind the shutters on the house for the rest of the day. I think they were tiny Pipistrelles .... so sweet. I often had to rescue them from the cats, and once from the cats' water bowl, and they were as light as a feather and quite cute. We have quite a number here but I never see where they come from as they just do a flypast.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:48 pm

We had a colony of Pipistrelle bats living in the eaves of our house that we lived in in Cheshire before we moved here to Spain.
They were a protected species. Didn't cause us any problems except for occasionally sweeping up their droppings.
Just before dusk we could hear them revving up as they flapped their wings to warm themselves up before they emerged for their hunt for insects to eat.
Counted over hundred in a couple of minutes as they emerged, don't know how many in total as stooped counting when we passed a hundred.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris