Elsa - death due to poisoning

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
telboy
Resident

Elsa - death due to poisoning

Postby telboy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:13 pm

My brother and his wife are devastated after their rescue dog Elsa a 3 year old Belgian Shepherd died this morning, she had her usual walk yesterday but lost her appetite later that evening, she would not eat this morning and was howling and convulsing as well as vomiting blood. On the half hour drive to the vet she died. The vet concluded she had died from poisoning. It is unlikely to be deliberate as the neighbours, Spanish and Expats who have dogs too get on very well together, Elsa was never a threat to anyone or anything. They live in a quite isolated area of the Aplpujarras (Poquiera Valley) opposite Bubion and Pampaniera. I can only assume the cause was a poisonous plant on snake bite, she had encountered on her walk.

There are no procession caterpillars about just yet which was a possibile cause but more likely it was a plant. Does anyone know of wild plants that could be poisonous from that area?

terry :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Elsa - death due to poisoning

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Sorry to hear about that.

There are so many possible poisons that it would not be possible to list them here.

There is a site which deals with this here

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-o ... s-to-pets/

The two common ones that are all over the place are Oleanders and Castor oil plants (the seeds).

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:37 pm

Sad story

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Nothing like shoving your head in the sand!! Wake up to the reality. Spaniards don't need an excuse to poison a dog. its a bit of fun for them. They might have had a bad day at the office or their kid said they were scared or something. It's what they do!! Spaniards also suffer from envy and jealousy. Nothing as bad as seeing someone else enjoying their life. I've already mentioned it elsewhere.

When you mentioned a Belgian Shepherd, my ears pricked up. Ours is not dissimilar (wolf hybrid). these dogs are intelligent. They don't just eat anything. Believe me, they are very intelligent and cautious too.

But, u asked about plants, so............
The problem with oleanders, etc. is an over reaction. Our boy lives amongst them without issue. Like a belgian shepherd, he wouldn't dream of eating them.

Several months ago whilst we were working on the finca and ignoring our boy (which he hates), he decided to assault a brazilian pepper tree or maybe a peralillo or maybe he was stung by a bee/wasp.........his mouth and throat became inflamed and clearly he was uncomfortable. He was very distressed. We gave him milk to invoke vomiting, which he did. Nothing unusual showed up. Distress continued. Then he found the GERANIUMS. He spent 10 minutes eating them and subsequently resolved the problem.

Later, on research we found out that geraniums are antiseptic and anti-inflamatory.

You see what I'm getting at..........intelligent dogs like Belgian Shepherds would know what to do.............unless of course a human administered toxin was the cause.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:24 pm

Jhonie99...seek help!

On a lighter note...saw my first Swallow today :thumbup:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:38 pm

So sorry to hear that x