Rabbies post Brexit

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Rabbies post Brexit

Postby gerryh » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:20 pm

I was at our Spanish vets this morning an she said she'd had a fax from the college of veterinary surgeons here in Spain.
The fax said that as from the 1st April anybody coming from the UK with a dog will need to get their dog tested for rabies and start the process of registration for rabies jabs here in Spain.
It doesn't matter if the dog has already had the jabs in the UK as the UK will then be a third country, i.e not in the EU, so any existing paperwork will not count.
I assumed she meant people moving here, with a dog, to live permanently. Didn't think to ask if this applies to dogs coming here with their owners for a few months holiday as I know a lot of people do this.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rabbies post Brexit

Postby katy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Our American friends used to bring their dog to Spain about 3 times a year from Boston. If resident the chips details would need changing anyway.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Hmmm makes me wonder about all the dogs which are not vaccinated in Spain...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 am

Don't think this will apply as a last minute deal will be done and all that stuff will be included. I worry more about all the Spanish dogs that are not inoculated. The British are the best for looking after there pets.

knowal
Resident

Re: Rabies post Brexit

Postby knowal » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Same dogs, same vaccinations, agreements cancelled on 29th March at 23:00, dog can't travel.
All of this despite the virtual absence of rabies in Western Europe. Bureaucracy creates problems, sometimes, just for the sake of it.
Makes one wonder whether our politicians serve us, or we serve them.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:07 pm

The latter I am afraid. We are only the people.