Dog been bitten

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dog been bitten

Postby Rummii » Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am

Hi guys could do with a little knowledge if anyone had experience......my dog was just digging in field and he jumped back and I realised it was a small yellow scorpion..... he isn’t yelping or anything but he has got some irritation around his eye and is pawing at it .....before anyone says take him to vets ...I know the obvious but with everything going on at moment and being campo I don’t want to over react .....so was wondering if anyone else had experience on this cause my thoughts are that if he’s not yelping or being sick etc he should be okay and it not life threatening
Thank you

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dog been bitten

Postby Enrique » Thu May 14, 2020 10:18 am

Hi Rummii,
Boil water for 20 mins add a Tiny pinch of salt , let it COOL , you should NOT be able to taste salt and bathe eyes.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Thu May 14, 2020 10:38 am

Thank you he seems okay but defo irritated around his eye so will clean it as you suggest but nothing looks swollen ....I suppose cause he was digging a hole and put his head in hole to get at scorpion he could of just got debris in his eye and that’s what it aggravating him .....there’s always something in campo lol toads caterpillar snakes etc.... thing is he is a hunter type dog and doesn’t seem scared of anything lol

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Apparently, the lighter the colour the less dangerous they are - avoid black ones!

Sid

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Thu May 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Thank you it was light in colour....but he started getting muscle spasms around his face so we took him anyway and they said he was having a little allergic reaction but not life threatening..... maybe it will teach him not to hunt everything lol ashes feeling very sorry for his self

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu May 14, 2020 5:05 pm

El Cid wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 pm Apparently, the lighter the colour the less dangerous they are - avoid black ones!

Sid
I think you will find that Black snakes are not poisonous Sid. The most colorful the snake, the more wary of it you should be. Venomous snakes also have a more triangular head, whereas non-venomous snakes will have a rounded jaw. The shape of the face has to do with the location of the venom sacks.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 14, 2020 5:47 pm

I think we are talking about scorpions:
Rummii wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am ... I realised it was a small yellow scorpion.....

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri May 15, 2020 6:58 am

Ah that is different!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"