Pet Tracker

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pet Tracker

Postby jaycecampo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:15 pm

Does anyone use a pet tracker to track their dogs linked to mobile phone. We live in the campo and our dogs have escaped a couple of times recently, very worrying. Would be pleased to receive any recommendations regarding these. Thank you.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pet Tracker

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:05 am

Hi jaycecampo,

"Does anyone use a pet tracker to track their dogs linked to mobile phone."..........Yes highly recommend Tractive

https://tractive.com/en/pd/gps-tracker-dog

Have been using them for many years on our Huskies...........I Even controlled a Search and Rescue from Spain when one of our Huskies followed a deer scent into a UK MOD restricted area.

A new feature is a a battery saving mode when the tracker is on and the Dog is in the "safe" zone i.e. the house........

You can Track multiple trackers on the same phone app.........we currently have two.

Trackers are currently on offer.

Disclaimer:...just a happy user.......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:41 pm

Sounds good, will look into that one. Thanks..

BunnyAndBear
Tourist

Postby BunnyAndBear » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:05 am

Chiming in: one more happy user of Tractive.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:07 pm

Another recent alternative, cheaper but not as good, is Apple's "itag". You will need to purchase a separate holder to attach it to your dog (I bought https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B097TH1KF8, but not a recommendation since I've not yet installed it).
The benefit of the itag is that it's a one-time cost, apart from replacing the battery once a year. I.e., no subscription cost.

The big disadvantage is that it only works if there are iphones/ipads nearby (within about 20-25 meters or so testing seems to indicate), as they communicate over bluetooth via whatever iphone/ipad happens to be nearby, and the iphone needs to stay near enough for long enough too (20-30 seconds perhaps). So if no ipad/iphones are nearby, they will not work, though you can see where the itag was last time and so hopefully it will be a help that way too.

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:32 pm

I've been using the Tractive device for our cat that gets stuck in sheds, garages and up trees. The device is really good, a bit large but she doesn't seem to mind. Charges 1x per week but you do have to subscribe. A long subscription is much cheaper. Definitely recommend