Mercadona cat food

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
gruff
Resident

Mercadona cat food

Postby gruff » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:37 pm

I don't know when Compy changed their recipe, maybe a couple of months ago but my cats won't touch the new stuff. Anyone else had this situation?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mercadona cat food

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:52 pm

That’s cats for you…
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:28 pm

We've noticed the same. We usually buy their Senior and Bola food and it used to smell really nice like Bovril and the cat's loved it, but this new food it not their favourite. Plus it's more expensive, I'm sure it used to be 4.75€ or similar but it's well over 5€ now. They do eat less when it's hot but it's noticable that they are not eating it like they did.

I've sent a message to Mercadona about it but I expect they'll say that no-one else has complained.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:36 am

As well as that, the tinned food has gone from 32c to 50c a tin. Not unreasonable, but when you need to buy 20 tins at a time, that's a difference of 3.60 euro more.

Doesn't sound like it would break the bank, but that's just one item.

Shopping is definitely more expensive now. I wouldn't be surprised if they had made everything cheaper to make = more profit
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:43 am

Received 9.44pm on a Saturday evening, my very prompt reply from Mercadona:

Thanks for writing to us. We are very sorry to hear what has happened with the cat food.

There has indeed been a change in the product. This new product is a cereal-free product, which incorporates a greater number of ingredients of animal origin (65%). It also incorporates fruits of the forest and vegetables as a source of vitamins, minerals and natural antioxidants. It contains no added preservatives, colourings or artificial flavourings.

As for the "bolas de pelo", we would like to inform you that it now contains a greater amount of ingredients of animal origin.

We inform you that your complaint has been transmitted to the people in charge, so they can take the suitable measures.
Could we share your name and email address with the supplier in case they need further information?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:10 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:43 am Received 9.44pm on a Saturday evening, my very prompt reply from Mercadona:

Thanks for writing to us. We are very sorry to hear what has happened with the cat food.

There has indeed been a change in the product. This new product is a cereal-free product, which incorporates a greater number of ingredients of animal origin (65%). It also incorporates fruits of the forest and vegetables as a source of vitamins, minerals and natural antioxidants. It contains no added preservatives, colourings or artificial flavourings.

As for the "bolas de pelo", we would like to inform you that it now contains a greater amount of ingredients of animal origin.

We inform you that your complaint has been transmitted to the people in charge, so they can take the suitable measures.
Could we share your name and email address with the supplier in case they need further information?
Interesting, our vet is very anti wheat/corn in cat and dog food, and always recommends a more expensive / more meat stuff food, saying that animals are not vegetarian.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:50 pm

It sounds like it may be better for them, then, but they are not so keen on it. They are probably eating less as it's hotter now, but even then, then do give me rather a disgusted look when I serve it up!

Benal Pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Benal Pirate » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:28 pm

Our community cats turn their noses up at it too. Pigeons and other birds aren’t as fussy.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:21 pm

When we lived in Comares with the 19 cats we fed them Dia's ASmulticomponent, 7kg for €9.95. The ones that weren't happy got to realise that the choice was that or starve!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:52 pm

Fried and served with a summer leaf salad with balsamic dressing. Our friends love it and have never guessed we are serving cat food to them :D :D :D