Other nasty creatures!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Other nasty creatures!

Postby Susi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:44 am

The posting about snakes gave me the idea to ask advice about a creature that crawled out of my sink last year. It was a kind of millipede about 4inches long with black and yellow stripes. We killed it and showed it to some locals who said it was harmless. We then, once we had thrown it away told other people about it and were told that it was more venomous that a scorpion.

Are there any "experts" out there who can tell me what it actually was?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:28 am

It's a very common centipede.

It does bite but it is no more harmful than a wasp sting. I was bitten by one that decided to climb into bed! Luckily it only got as far as my foot!

Scorpions are also quite common and we have seen some small ones inside the house. It is said that the darker the colour, the more dangerous the sting.

A friend had a bite from a scorpion that decided to sleep in one of her shoes. She needed hospital treatment. She now shakes her shoes before putting them on.

Sid

Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks for that Sid. It puts my mind at rest a bit.

Funnily enough, although we live in the campo, I have never seen a scorpion but I suppose they get scared off by our dogs, cats, ducks, etc!

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:30 pm

Susi

Those centipede things are nasty looking bu&&ers!! We get them a lot!

Must be something to do with Granada province.

We also get worm like things (look like fat earthworms) they bite, although not dangerous. Normally find them when gardening.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:40 pm

We have loads of bizarre insects inside our house here, grasshopper type things with huge fangs, praying mantice's etc.

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:23 pm

Also check under your cushins on your sunbeds and chairs first thing in the morning they have a habit of kipping there.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:21 am

Bloody hell Lion, I thought you were trying to sell your house?
Buyers dont want to hear about the pet snake! David Attenborough maybe.The stuff about the power cuts and demolition was bad enough.
I know youre an honest bloke, but give it a bit more positive spin next time! :? Youre letting A.com values down!

Linda K
Tourist

Postby Linda K » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:50 am

can't help it with this one, no nothing about it but it's has made me absolutely :lol: :lol: :lol: haven't done that for a long time

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:55 pm

kevin77 wrote:Bloody hell Lion, I thought you were trying to sell your house?
Buyers dont want to hear about the pet snake! David Attenborough maybe.The stuff about the power cuts and demolition was bad enough.
I know youre an honest bloke, but give it a bit more positive spin next time! :? Youre letting A.com values down!
Perhaps a nature lover might be interested :wink:

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:08 pm

El Cid wrote: Scorpions are also quite common and we have seen some small ones inside the house. It is said that the darker the colour, the more dangerous the sting.
Sid
Apparently, the larger the pincers, the less worried you have to be!! If they have tiny pincers and a large tail...run!!

I watched a programme about them the other day!
Donna