Benamara/Benavista Footbridge over A7 Highway

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
pensure1988
Resident

Benamara/Benavista Footbridge over A7 Highway

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:20 pm

I wonder if any Forum Member with a Legal Background could assist us in resolving the outstanding issue regarding this Bridge. It has a Lift & a Walkway on the North side of the Highway but only stairs on the South Side(nearest the Beach)

The committee of the Foreign Residents Association of Estepona(AREME) got involved in and still have it to take further at the right time was to explore the ownership of the footbridge over the A7 at Benavista /Benamara. We have started to look into this as in its current built state it is not suitable for the handicapped or even mothers who have to push babies in prams or pushchairs.

We know who built it (over 40 years ago) as one of the directors is still here and has informed me that Estepona town hall was largely responsible for its maintenance, this information was followed up and AREME has had a meeting with the town halls engineering division, the outcome being that they have no formal remit to claim ownership or to carry out regular work.
Further contact was made to the road bridge engineering division responsible for all bridges in the whole of Malaga area who said they know the bridge but as it was built privately they would have nothing to do with it.
Due to the current worry with Covid-19 the bridge enquiries will be put on hold but to any of the Forum members who live in the area of the bridge we would very much like to hear their thoughts on the matter because as we see it NOBODY seems to owns it.

Unquote

Many Thanks

David

scotty
Resident

Re: Benamara/Benavista Footbridge over A7 Highway

Postby scotty » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:39 am

This is the footbridge at Neli G's restaurant ? There's no lift on it unless you mean the lift in the commercial center ?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@36.4651225, ... 312!8i6656

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:45 am

Hi

Yes it is. I believe the lift goes up the Restaurant Level of the Shopping Centre. Correct me if I am wrong here!!!!

Davide

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi David,
You are correct, the lift is in the commercial center and nothing to do with the bridge. Why are the ex pat group trying to find out who's responsible for the bridge ? Is the issue that it's not wheelchair / pram friendly ? The next bridge 400 m towards Estepona is completely ramped and used by bikes and motorcycles :crazy: .

https://www.google.ie/maps/@36.4631234, ... 312!8i6656

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi Scotty

The Residents of the Communities around these two areas, have approached this Expat Association for assistance in this outstanding issue regarding this Footbridge. As it was privately built , because the Council would not construct it, some 40 years ago by two different companies who have changed hands since then, no one wants to take ownership of this Footbridge. It was damaged by a Lorry sometime in the past and was repaired by the Estepona town Council/Roads Department, I believe. It is not wheelchair,pram or stroller friendly and needs to be altered to cater for these Pedestrians.

David

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:13 pm

I was twent meters from it two years ago when it was struck by a low loader with a very large excavator on it. The chap I was with is from Belfast and he ducked as he thought it was a bomb going off. The repair was carried out properly and it's good again. I can't see Marbella or Estepona wanting to replace or change it. The bottom of the stairs on the sea side is really bad, it's a big drop to the road. I think it was built and maintained by an English guy that owned or still owns a lot of the Bena Vista Center.