Domestic Solar Panel Systems

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 14, 2024 10:15 pm

Yes, sadly its too late to claim. Luckily, most of the newer solar companies are making the rules quite clear as it is now in their interests to do so to make potential customers aware of the ludicrously high (comparatively) subsidies that are available.

With the current subsidies and tax breaks, combined with the really generous buy back rates from the energy companies, it is really difficult to justify NOT installing a solar system.

We are now net zero from an energy point of view and the whole cost has been subsidised by the EU and the Spanish government.

I have no plans to buy an electric car, but again the subsidies and tax breaks are really high in Spain. The infrastructure is suddenly improving. I was at Alcampo in Motril yesterday and half the parking spaces immediately outside the entrance were closed with 6 Iberdrola charging points being installed and today outside Dunnes in Velez-Málaga, another 6 Endesa points were being installed.

Spain does now seem to be taking climate change etc seriously and using the tax system to encourage investment in green energy. Good luck to them, the UK could certainly learn from the Spanish example.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:50 pm

El Cid wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:24 pm I’m getting too old to cope with the subtleties of Renta! It took me ages to work out where to claim the solar deduction (it’s really complicated!)

Sid
Any chance of sharing how you claimed the deduction?
Am seriously thinking of having solar power installed, so hopefully, I will be able to claim the deduction next year.
Too late for this year.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:17 pm

Hi Gerry

It’s all here

https://sede.agenciatributaria.gob.es/S ... acion.html

Would you be planning to DIY. Or using a company to do it for you?

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info.
I gave up looking before I got to the relevant boxes. :oops:
Today I've had a survey done and a quotation from a company in Velez Malaga.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:28 pm

Make sure that they give you an EPC before installation and one after. They will charge you for that. Otherwise you cannot claim the tax deduction. The EU. subsidy of 60% has now been approved for this year.

If you want some more info and advice on anything else PM me. If you are happy to communicate on the forum, fine. From my recent experience it’s pretty complicated. If it is of interest to other members a new thread on Solar might be a good idea.

I might even be persuaded to do an FAQ but I need to have a better idea about how many of us might be interested.

Quite frankly, with the current subsidies and the special solar tariffs it is worth looking at. I don’t expect to pay anything for my electricity from now on. I’m currently generating nearly 70 Kw every day.

Considering that I will get almost the whole cost covered by subsidies and tax deductions it’s difficult to ignore.

Spain is overly generous on climate change subsidies. Did you know that you can get over €10K off an electric car now? But that’s a whole new subject for a forum topic!

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:57 pm

Hi El Cid,

New Thread.......... :idea:

Would be interesting for Members to have real world examples of Installation setups and what to look for.

Example.........
"I’m currently generating nearly 70 Kw every day".........how many panels generate that number. :?:

On a split 12 panel system I get around 30Kw a day.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:56 am

Hi Sid
A new thread on Solar power and possibly a FAQ would be great.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:11 am

OK Gerry. I will create a new thread and move the recent solar posts to it.

Enrique, I have 19 panels rated at 9.7kwp. They have produced about 6000 kWh so far this year. Annual estimate is 15000kwh

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:45 am

Interestingly my accountant says I can claim next year without an epc and despite panels being installed in 2022.
Everything I've read on the official website says otherwise so no idea how she's going to sort it.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:55 am

I am creating this thread to transfer some posts from the Renta thread.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Domestic Solar Panel Systems

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:00 am

Hi El Cid,
Thanks for creating this Thread..........

How do you manage 0% .............. do you have Battery to cover overnight usage. :?: Solar wallet type of account where you can "pull" back what you've put into the grid :?:

With no battery on our Spanish system we still pull 25% (usage) from the mains even with timers on the Electric water heaters.
Its not until 10am that the 8 panels on the main roof make 2Kw so can cover one water heater (1.5kw) and the computers. Around midday the 4 panels on the kitchen roof are covered so 12 panel now producing around 3.5-4Kw

One major item that we had to address was the mains feed from the pylon to the house , this cable needed to be upgraded and the "smart" meter moved from the house to outside the fenced yard at our expense. ( Campo House)

With 60% subsidies it would be good to get the largest system that your roof would accommodate.

Plenty of articles on the Web to get up to speed on what to look out for when you get a quote from a Solar firm and see if its right for you , or you need to ask them more informed questions.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:25 am

I sell excess power back to the grid and any excess at the end of the month is carried forward. In the winter months it doesn't completely cover the usage from the grid but at this time of the year about 75% is being fed back.

I looked at a battery but they are very expensive and very low output. Also, they don't work in a power cut without additional hardware and even then, they do not switch seamlessly like a UPS.The key is to have a decent rate for the excess power and a good rate for the grid power. Currently I get 0.10 € for my power and only pay 0.12€ for power from the grid. I signed up for this tariff (Imagina Energy) in December. The rates from most suppliers have now dropped significantly as they cannot afford to pay 0.10 for power which they can now buy wholesale for less. Endesa have reduced their rate from 0.10 to0 .06 recently.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:52 pm

Hi,
Update on latest Electric bill............ using Octopus Solar Wallet.............€0

First month (May) on Solar Wallet.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Solar Energy certificates

Postby olive » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:24 pm

Does anyone have experience of these please?

Are they normally drawn up by the installer pre and post installation?

Is it as simple as average bills before and after used x kw’s ?

Can they be done retrospectively for submission with Renta?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Solar Energy certificates

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:11 am

Good morning olive,

EPC was mentioned by Sid in the "Domestic Solar Panel Systems" Thread........ have your read this :?:

Hopefully the Mods will merge this thread with the above so all the Solar info is on one Thread.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Solar Energy certificates

Postby olive » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:08 am

I have now, thanks Enrique.

I hadn’t seen the link Sid provided. Better in one thread.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:07 pm

I've merged the posts into this thread. The EPC is a 6-page document. It usually requires a technician to visit, but in my case it was done online. Its a LOT more complicated than just comparing your before and after electricity consumption. They need info about all the energy using devices and the construction of the house - insulation. double glazing etc.

I paid €90 for each certificate. The Junta also receive it and issues a corresponding document.

I have just completed the relevant section on my tax declaration and saved about €3000. The max you can claim is 60% of €5000, but if the cost was more than €5000 the balance is carried forward to next year's tax return and up to another 3 declarations until the whole cost has been declared.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:19 pm

El Cid wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:17 pm Hi Gerry

It’s all here

https://sede.agenciatributaria.gob.es/S ... acion.html

Sid

Had a look at it, and Page 44 Boxes 1655-1662 seem, to me, to be the relevant boxes.
Can't see how it is decided whether a 20, 40 or 60% deduction is applicable.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:52 pm

There are 3 sections that cover the deductions. Which one you use is determined by how much you have improved the EPC rating. The first is for a 20% deduction, the second for 40% and the last for 60%.

In all cases, the deduction is limited to €3000. If you qualify for a 60% deduction, the excess unclaimed deduction can be carried forward to up to 4 subsequent years and claimed again until you have received 60% of the total cost. When and if you get the EU subsidy, you must enter some of it as income to avoid claiming twice. Effectively you are allowed to claim 60% of the cost less the EU subsidy. I will worry about that when and if the EU subsidy finally arrives.

I think you need a 30% reduction in your energy usage and an improvement in your EPC rating to B or A.

The company that install your system will sort it all out for you.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:07 am

Thanks for the information.
The input from the solar panels should more than cover a 30% reduction in energy usage from the energy supplier.
I live in a very old house with 60cm thick stone walls and a few small single-glazed aluminium framed windows.
Not sure if my energy saving will bring my EPC rating to anywhere near a B or A rating.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris