UK income tax returns

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

UK income tax returns

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 07, 2024 6:31 pm

Is there anyone on here that needs to do UK self assessment returns? Usually they are sent to me by now as I usually complete them by mid May but I've not received any. I see that I cannot download the SA100 main return but have to phone them up which is impossible as they simply do not answer the phone.

I can download the additional pages but as a non resident I cannot do the returns online without downloading and paying for special software. I'm already in dispute about a fine for not doing 2022/23 return when I have a letter from them stating that I did not need to file one. I used to work for them back in the day when there were humans to speak to and local offices to deal with taxpayers. Nowadays they are complete nightmare to deal with :evil:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK income tax returns

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 08, 2024 12:14 pm

Just to update, I found a dedicated HMRC phone number just for requesting paper returns. After being on hold for an age, they did actually answer so I've ordered them and they said it will probably take 3 weeks to receive them. The phone number is 0044 161 930 8331.

Apparently they are looking into the problem of not being able to simply download the 2023/4 SA100. They are obviously trying to get everyone submitting online, which I would love to do, but we are discriminated against as we are non-resident. I am not prepared to pay around 90 pounds to use special software to do it.

Vartag

Postby Vartag » Wed May 08, 2024 2:30 pm

I've been submitting my and my wife's UK returns on line for 20 years now without any problem. May be it's because we're non-resident landlords and in receipt of CS pensions, who knows.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 08, 2024 6:25 pm

We are non-resident landlords and also in receipt of civil service pensions and have been completing paper returns to the UK since 2000.

Regarding submitting the SA return online the gov.uk site states:
"Not everyone can use this service and some will need to use alternative software, for example, if you were not living in the UK in the tax year (non resident)"

"When you cannot use this service
You cannot use this service to file your tax return online:
for a partnership
for a trust or for an estate
if you lived abroad as a non-resident
to report multiple ‘chargeable gains’, for example from life insurance
if you get income from a trust, you’re a Lloyd’s underwriter or a religious minister"

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-ass ... tax-return

The Non Resident supplementary return SA109 is not available on the online submission, and you have to state you are UK resident in order to proceed with the submission. I had a look at whether I could do it, but I would have to say I was UK resident. The only way of doing the SA109 (plus the SA100 and SA105) online is via a software company which costs around 90 pounds.

Vartag

Postby Vartag » Wed May 08, 2024 8:28 pm

Well have no answer to why, but all correspondence has always been sent here and being classed as non-residential landlord HMRC are obviously aware of my location.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 09, 2024 9:21 am

What I am saying is that in order to go through the online filing procedure you have to say you are UK resident, which you are saying you are not.

It is not possible to proceed unless you say your tax residency status is either: English and Northern Ireland, Scottish or Welsh. There are only the 3 options so if you are Spanish resident you cannot proceed to the next pages and complete the return.
This is on the first page after you have signed into the Govenrment Gateway when you click on the START option near the bottom of the page https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-ass ... tax-return . I signed in to have a look and my address is shown as Spain, and if I tick the English and Northern Island tax residency status box it will let me continue, but that would not be a true statement.

You simply cannot complete the return (certainly this year) unless you say you are UK resident. Plus you cannot complete the Non Resident pages SA109 as they not available online, which they ask you you do as non resident.

Vartag

Postby Vartag » Thu May 09, 2024 9:45 am

Our returns were completed last week online and have received notice that they have been processed.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 am

There have been delays with post from the UK in the last couple of years. We haven’t received ours yet either but for the moment it isn’t a problem as the deadline isn’t until October. Two years ago we sent it about 6 weeks before the deadline but got a fine for late arrival, which we didn’t have to pay due to a successful appeal.
As far as I remember it is possible to do it online but through a third party. Doing it yourself is not possible for non-residences so I’d be interested to know the details of how you are getting round this.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 09, 2024 12:03 pm

markwilding wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 am There have been delays with post from the UK in the last couple of years. We haven’t received ours yet either but for the moment it isn’t a problem as the deadline isn’t until October. Two years ago we sent it about 6 weeks before the deadline but got a fine for late arrival, which we didn’t have to pay due to a successful appeal.

Vartag wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:45 am Our returns were completed last week online and have received notice that they have been processed.

As far as I remember it is possible to do it online but through a third party. Doing it yourself is not possible for non-residences so I’d be interested to know the details of how you are getting round this.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 09, 2024 12:04 pm

There have been delays with post from the UK in the last couple of years. We haven’t received ours yet either but for the moment it isn’t a problem as the deadline isn’t until October. Two years ago we sent it about 6 weeks before the deadline but got a fine for late arrival, which we didn’t have to pay due to a successful appeal.

Vartag wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:45 am Our returns were completed last week online and have received notice that they have been processed.

Vartag

Postby Vartag » Thu May 09, 2024 3:31 pm

To be honest I'm not sure. When I first came out I just started using it with my Gateway pw after speaking to someone at HMRC. As previously mentioned I had already set up non-resident landlord status and updated my address to Spain.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 09, 2024 4:24 pm

markwilding wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:04 pm There have been delays with post from the UK in the last couple of years. We haven’t received ours yet either but for the moment it isn’t a problem as the deadline isn’t until October. Two years ago we sent it about 6 weeks before the deadline but got a fine for late arrival, which we didn’t have to pay due to a successful appeal.

That's what I've been writing Mark. So I'm not sure how a nonresident can do them either as, as I have stated, you can only do it by paying for third party software at around 90 pounds. The information above has been copied from their website and it is quite clear, plus you cannot complete it without ticking the UK residency option, I've tried myself.

Last year I received it before May as I always used to take it with me for my annual trip to the Uk and post it there as it was cheaper. The letter stating that I'd been fined for not completing the return (the one they said I didn't have to complete :evil: ) took about 7 weeks to reach me. There's a chance the original returns are on their way, but I've also got blank ones on their way after my phone call. I just like to do them and get them out of the way really.

DipMalaga

Postby DipMalaga » Sat May 11, 2024 12:01 pm

I use a third party software provider (www.dtaxfiler.co.uk) and it is £12 to file a non-resident return. There are others available for a similar price.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 12, 2024 10:50 am

DipMalaga wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:01 pm I use a third party software provider (www.dtaxfiler.co.uk) and it is £12 to file a non-resident return. There are others available for a similar price.
That's cheap. I have been looking at the ones on the Gov.uk site and they are very expensive. Hopefully my paper return is on its way and I can just post it back to them for a few euros :think:

I'm hoping this is the last year we'll have to do them as we ceased being landlords last tax year and we never earned enough to pay tax anyway. It would be nice to have one less thing to do!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 22, 2024 2:12 pm

I so far have not received my usual tax returns but today had a signed for package from HMRC with the blank ones I ordered by phone on 8 May. So at least I have them now.