UK General election voting

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK General election voting

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:48 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:36 pm Interesting reading this. Ever since I can remember I have not understood how 'democracy' can mean that millions of votes are not counted for anything and do not translate into representation. Of course, it's the 'first-past-the-post' system which only benefits the two main parties who have no interest in altering the status quo. Under said system, one party could actually get more votes than the 'winner' yet many fewer seats. The argument against PR — and there are many, many forms of PR — is that smaller parties would get representation — as if that is a bad thing. There's also the 'problem' of coalitions where various parties club together to take power over a larger party, as has happened in Spain.

Of course, we rely on politicians to be people of honour and ones who do their upmost to give the people the representation for which they have voted. It seems to me, that not only is the electoral system in the UK not-fit-for-purpose but the people who are standing for election are also not-fit-for-purpose. As a woman (born that way) I could never vote for Labour because most of the politicians on the left put trans-rights above the rights and safety of women. Labour may well have plans to make the UK a better place but I doubt that includes a better place for actual women. As I am not insane, I will not be voting for the Conservatives, eit

If the UK system is not fit for purpose, or the people who stand for election...then why vote..it's as simple as that.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:08 pm

Fed up of my country being run down, yes it has it's faults but so does Spain...Most of you on here are British and forget that very easily...Very different in either country if you are poor...and to be totally honest worse in Spain if you have nothing, but then considering most on here are not in that boat then that fact may not enter your heads..I honestly can't be bothered if it's your pension or mine that may be effected by who ever gets into government, that to me is the least of my worries, i worry about the youth and their future, that to me is what matters..

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:02 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I was born in England but have parents from other European countries and I have lived in yet another European country for nearly 20 years. Nowhere is perfect but I am seriously not into Nationalism - the cause of so many wars. However, I too, worry about my young people, especially the girls. Left-wing politics tend not to be kind to girls.

I will not be voting this time so rest easy.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:39 pm

Well who really cares on here? Unless it effects their pensions...That's the reality...

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:36 pm

Yes and No, Pamela 1. I have family in the UK. My Mum is 97 and now lives in a private care home costing £900 per week. I care about her care and the quality of the people who look after her and how the home is regulated. I have a brother and sister and through them, I have nephews and nieces and they have work, or are studying, have mortgages or rents and deal with the day to day cost of living including taxes and heating bills plus all the community charge stuff and costs related to driving. Through my OH I have daughters and sons and in-laws and grandchildren. I care about their education and physical safety as they go out and about and I care about their future prospects. Then I have friends, mostly female, and the concerns for their safety in all sorts of situations is very much an important care of mine.

I am sure i write for many other people on this forum when I write that, apart from our pensions, there is a lot to care about.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:45 pm

I totally agree. What happens politically in the UK has a tremendous impact on UK expats and their friends and family in the UK.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:29 am

so do I, This thread is testament to exactly that. A change in the law there affected us here. Brexit has also had an impact on us here and any opportunity to vote for a party in the future that might improve our freedom of movement rights would give me food for thought at election time. Some of us have interests apart from family and friends there as well.

I don¡t know if it is down to Brexit, I have heard that there are massive delivery delays in the UK as well, but the postal service since leaving the EU, has been awful with delivery times to and from the UK going from a fews days to what i get now, up to 6 weeks. I received my postal vote papers yesterday.

My constituency is Wimbledon and they voted in the Lib-Dems for the first time ever after 20 years of it being Tory.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:53 am

Poole in Dorset has been Tory since 1880, now Labour. Unbelievable turn around.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:48 am

My old constituency remains Tory.

We have no close family ties to the UK but I do wonder what the future holds for friends there. Under Tories they did not do the things they promised, and now I expect it will be more of the same. I know from friends there how bad it is to try to see the doctor, although one with a heart condition does seem to be getting good treatment from Barts.

My father in law was paying 1800 pounds per week for his care home fees in Kent and just before he died in February they said they were due to rise to 2200 a week! A wicked amount. Meanwhile millions each day are spent housing illegal immigrants whilst friends' children on the housing waiting list wait on, and others are jumping the queue (and that isn't heresay).

Younger people are complaining at the rising age for getting the state pension (I've already had to wait 6 years more than expected and my OH one) but I wonder how anything is going to be funded in the future unless taxes rise and there is something done about the wasteful use of Government department budgets. I do, however, remember living with interest rates of 15% when I had a mortgage and through periods of slump and unemployment. And the 3 day week when our electricity was rationed and we had organised powercuts, long before the days of rechargeable batteries and torches and had to spend the evening in candelight, so we've been through hard times ourselves in the past.

Mark from what I've read, the postal system is slow within the UK. My FiL used to complain about the sparce deliveries of post and how long things took to reach him here. It does seem to take longer for post to reach us though as you say, with official letters taking up to six weeks.