LHD Spanish Registered Cars Bought in UK

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: LHD Spanish Registered Cars Bought in UK

Postby DavidSearl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:44 pm

mi–tampoco

Well, you said you had a simple question. In fact I thought everybody was doing so well with it that I could only stand by uselessly, but we seem to be missing some essential facts.

1. If a foreigner wishes to purchase a Spanish-registered vehicle, he must either be a registered resident in Spain or show proof of his address in Spain. This could be a title deed, (an "escritura") or a rental contract, for example. He must have an address in Spain to complete the sale.

2. The foreigner wishing to purchase a Spanish-registered vehicle must have a NIE, the Spanish tax identificaton number, in order to list it on the transfer form and to pay the tax of 4 per cent on sale of used cars.

3. In order to prove that you have bought the car, you must present the Spanish Traffic Department transfer form, filled in and signed by the seller,(one copy for him and one copy for you) along with a photocopy of the seller's DNI or passport and his NIE. This form, 9.050, "Solicitúd de Transmisión de Vehículo", can be seen at www.dgt.es, the web site of the Trafico Department. It can even be printed out, but this is not acceptable. You must have the original paper version from Spain. You can write to the DGT in Madrid and have them send it to you.

4. If you are really determined to carry out this purchase and you can obtain a NIE and a Spanish address, I would advise you to make contact with a good Gestoria in the area where you intend to settle. They can get the Form for you (anyone can pick it up) and send it to you, and you can consult them on the phone. They should not charge very much for this service.

5. Remember you will also need the circulation permit, the inspection record, payment of municipal vehicle tax in the last place the vehicle was registered, and payment of transfer tax of 4 per cent on used vehicles, Form 620.

Good luck with it, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:51 am

mi_tampoco wrote:Hi Lynn.

Good luck for next week!

We are going to revisit our comparative costs sheet following this research. Who did the pet transport for you? That’s a good deal cheaper than we were quoted for two cats.

Do you have a removals recommendation too? We are Surrey to Almeria, so not hugely different from you.

I have no objection to buying my car in Spain, but this is one option that we couldn’t resist exploring if the right car is available with all the correct Spanish paperwork.
We used Brittania which i think is based in in sutton with no problems

Espanish

Postby Espanish » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:30 pm

I realise this is an old thread, so just wondering if anyone has had more recent experience with this process, and/or are aware that anything has changed (for better or worse). Am on cusp of going through the process for a LHD van in Scotland on Spanish plates.

Thanks,

Max

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:42 pm

No changes that I am aware of. It's still a potential minefield.

Sid

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:22 pm

I really came unstuck with buying a spanish reg car in england. It was a used people carrier. When I phoned my lawyer in spain to get it registered into my name, she asked me for a copy of the nie /passport of the previous owner. I phoned the garage from whom I had bought it to see if by any chance he had the address of the previous owner no luck. So thinking I was being clever I transfered it to english plates , with the idea of transfering it back to spanish plates when we arrived in spain, after all the registration docs were now in my name.. Well to cut a long story short 600euro later payed to the gestor here in spain, I was told sorry it cant be done, according to the chassis number the car stills belongs to the person who sold it in england, It has now been scrapped, expensive lesson.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Espanish

Postby Espanish » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Ouch. Thanks for thoughts. Will post here with any experience I have if it goes ahead. Does seem like a minefield, but forewarned is forearmed :)

Max

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:32 pm

My intention, probably this time next year is to bring my Land Rover Defender down to Spain, it's a 1997 with towbar and darkened glass to transport my dog plus it will be a useful vehicle for the area we are moving too. Looks like there will be a lot to do and to reregister it within 31 days of arriving in Spain.......

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi Jogger,
Sounds like you would find it easier to Register a canvas topped Submarine... :problem:

Took me four months to get a bog standard Kangoo through to Spanish Plates :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Jogger,
Sounds like you would find it easier to Register a canvas topped Submarine... :problem:

Took me four months to get a bog standard Kangoo through to Spanish Plates :(
Hi Enrique

Maybe Mrs Jogger is right and I should sell it either when I get there or bring it back to sell after delivering the dog and buy a second hand 4x4 with air con i Spain. But I do like my Landy, in fact like is an understatement :crazy:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:56 pm

jogger wrote:My intention, probably this time next year is to bring my Land Rover Defender down to Spain, it's a 1997 with towbar and darkened glass to transport my dog plus it will be a useful vehicle for the area we are moving too. Looks like there will be a lot to do and to reregister it within 31 days of arriving in Spain.......
I brought my 2006 LHD Defender here a couple of years ago and had it on Spanish plates within a couple of weeks. The cost was about 340€ for the gestor and trafico fees plus 120€ to LR Spain for a ficha technica (I did have the original German one but they wouldn't accept that). I registered it within the regulation time so paid no registration tax (or whatever it's called).

If your towbar is the original LR one with the LR sticker still legible you will probably get away with that (I did) however the tinted rear windows could cause problems as they are not standard issue and may need changing. Also you will need to change the headlights and have the rear fog lamp switched to the left. Tyres must be standard LR spec. If there are no other non-standard bits hanging off it like a winch, Mantec spare wheel carrier or high-level air intake and no major non-standard internal changes then you should be OK.

I found LR Spain very helpful. I sent them detailed photos of the exterior and interior of the car and their homologation bloke told me which bits might cause problems at the test.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

EDIT: Oh and another 120€ to the Brit consulate in Malaga for a pretty bit of paper confirming I had left UK permanently.
Brian.