Residencia card

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Residencia card

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:41 pm

markwilding wrote:You need to check my posts

My posts say that I wont be going back to renew it. look at the paper. what informtion will change on it?
thats right, your posts say that you have an old nie number, on a white form.

what im saying is that this is now obsolete. im saying, that if you dont have a new green one, there are alot of things that you wont be able to do.

perhaps what i was saying was being misunderstood, and for that i apologise. what im getting at i guess is that the law says you need to prove your nie in certain circumstances, and may be asked for it at any time, so yes, you have to carry it.

one more vote for an id card then mark ? it´d have your photo and your nie on it. :think: im all for them, ive nothing to hide.

i carry a photocopy of mine with me in my wallet. i dont wish to loose the original should i ever loose my wallet. for most things, post office, any traffic offences, to find my account in the bank etc etc, this is sufficient. should i be going anywhere that i know i am likely to be asked for it (to change my bank account details, to swap my driving licence english to spanish etc, my "folder" of documents goes with me for that day. i also carry my passport at all times. even when im out at night in the pub. seems like a silly idea, but then, its the law to be able to idetify yourself. once i get my spanish licence, which has my phote and nie number on it, i wont be carrying either any more unless im asked for it, or know im going somewhere that its likely im to be asked for it.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:53 pm

My old NIE number was on my resident card. I renewed it in September last year and was given a piece of paper. I've done exactly the same as you kept the orignal in a safe place and I carry a photcopy around with me, I however, never use it for ID. for this I use my British driving licence and when I need to change it to a Spanish one will use that.
I know a passport is the only official form of ID but I prefer to risk a fine (my decision)
As far as buying a house without a NIE number, I didn't have one when I bought this house, I don't know why I didn't need one. The only thing I can think of is my wife's Spanish and we used hers
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Bit confused. We bought our house in 2003, without NIE numbers, on the escitura it clearly states our passport numbers. We couldn't get NIE numbers issued for about 6 weeks after the purchase, you needed to attend in person with you passport (no photocopies allowed)and had to wait 4 weeks to the power that be to issue the dratted things in those days. As we were not in Spain couldn't get our hands in them!. So do we need to do anything to make this sale legal, or are we OK? :?
I can spell but I can't type

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 pm

No, you don't need to do anything but I would be inclined to keep the passports (if you still have them) with the escritura because when you renew them you will have different numbers.
Let's go Brandon!

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:04 am

Just as well I never throw anything way - you never know if it will it come in useful someday! :thumbup:
I can spell but I can't type

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:15 am

I thought a persons NIE number never changed :?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:49 am

they don´t, it´s the british passport numbers that change, which makes life a bit complicated with paperwork !

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:35 pm

I did specifically refer to passports in my posts. I have never been able to understand why a UK passport isn't renewed with the same number!
Let's go Brandon!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:36 pm

One or two posters refered to their "Old NIE"

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:45 pm

one or two posters were wrong !

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:18 pm

I think they meant the 'old document' upon which their number was recorded rather than rather than their 'old number'.
Let's go Brandon!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm

This is why I think once you have registered with the police, there is no reason to go back. because all they do is replace a card with a number on it with a bit of paper with the same number on it,
If I had known that they were going to do that, I would have done the same as Katy and kept the card which I think is more useful and you still have proof of your NIE number

The problem of course is the Spanish who don't know the rules. I took out an insurance on Saturday in El Corte Inglés and she asked for my ID card and when I said I didn't have one she couldn't believe it. This almost two years after the change.