Changing address on NIE number

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Changing address on NIE number

Postby Jool » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:06 pm

I tried to do this and was firmly told that it was not necessary to have a copy of an NIE with current address on.

Changed my address on data base BUT stopped by Guardia last night - they told me I need to contact the National Police again as should be carrying my NIE number in car with me showing my current address as spanish driving licence does not show address........another new rule I suppose

Does anyone know the form I need to use to do this please.......

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Changing address on NIE number

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Do you mean the certificate of registration as an EU citizen? I have never heard of having to change the address on it and it quite clearly states that it is NOT a means of identification so the address is immaterial. Anyway, all the Guardia have to do is check your driving licence and/or your vehicle registration on their computer and it will come up with your address.

I think they should give the Guardia Civil refresher courses from time to time.
Let's go Brandon!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:17 pm

No its the old fashioned NIE number certificate I have and like you I had never heard of having to do this, only to change your details on Trafico and Hacienda database........they could not get their computer to work and it did not show up my insurance policy either........

I have never carried a copy of my NIE anyway only a compulsado copy of passport........but they clearly wanted something official with my address on it, although I was not given a ticket for anything.

They also were not happy I did not have the originals but only compulsado copies but did not tell me to carry the originals .........they were fine and polite and we chatted quite happily.....

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:31 pm

NIE doesn't have ones address on anyway, I have been stopped in Almeria 3 times recently with no problems, but Spain being Spain that means nothing :crazy:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Julie wrote:NIE doesn't have ones address on anyway
:? Mine does (although it's never been the correct one lol). Maybe newer ones don't?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:05 am

The original NIE sheets didn't show the address and there is definitely no requirement for addresses to be amended on those that do.

If their on board computer wasn't working they should have called their control room to check it for them like they had to do in the old days.
Let's go Brandon!

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:33 am

Do you mean changing your address on your Residencia ? this shows both your NIE and address
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:54 am

the old style NIE number document did not have your address
the plastic residencia cards do have your address
the new NIE number certificates do have your address

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:30 pm

A recent (less than 3 months old) padron certificate is the best proof of your address.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm confused
The only form of ID that we are required to carry is our passport which cannot confirm our addresses. The law regarding driving licences, I believe has changed recently and you don't have to have it with you when driving, although you may be asked to present it at police station within a certain period.
The Spanish and non EU people must carry their national ID card at all times, which has the address of the owner on it,
so I suppose the policeman was confusing the rules of a Spanish person or non EU citizen with the rules of a UK citizen
I also suppose in this situation we are at the mercy of the policeman standing in front of us if he believes us or not, which is very similar to the situation in the UK.
Here in The Basque country there's a good reason for checking ID of people because we have terrorism. However, the only time i have been stopped the policemen just wanted photo ID

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm

Well I refuse to carry my passport (original) on me anyway....way too dangerous. So all I have is a cc sized laminated copy of it, plus my EU driving licence and required car docs.
I was stopped a few weeks back by Guardia, who looked at both, then took my car docs away and (presumably) checked them with....????...then handed them back sweet as pie. First time they've done that....previously (admittedly almost 6 years ago now, when I'd only been over here for a few weeks) when I was stopped (Spanish plated car both times!) they looked at them and then handed them back, before saying I didn't have the 'correct' driving licence...I burst into tears and had an asthma attack. That did the trick -- they let me go!!! :clap:
Last edited by tjtops on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:04 pm

The beauracracy (is that correct) is pitiful, it seems that monthly the Spanish government or local Juntas are commited to driving out us foreigners with their stupid and often (usually) arrogant disdain for the EU when will they ever learn, luckily (for me anyway) I will be dumping these **** to live in Andorra in the very near future, f??k em Ive ad enough!!
Ah! the full english!!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:21 pm

the grass in andorra is so green Retro..you´ll love it there