Isle of Man driving test pass.

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
TerryC
Resident

Isle of Man driving test pass.

Postby TerryC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:45 pm

I posted this in the Motoring thread a few days ago but only got opinions for replys and this is too important to rely on opinions. Briefly I've just exchanged my UK driving licence for a Spanish one, but the Trafico in Malaga would not accept my bike licence because I passed the test in the Isle of Man. My wife also has a UK photocard licence but again she passed her test in the IOM.

Is she legally allowed to drive here in Spain with this licence and remember my LD insurance states "Your insurance is only valid if you have a driving licence acceptable to the Spanish Authorities."

I have contacted the British Consul who said I should go to an English speaking Spanish lawyer, very helpful and possible costly. I have contacted Trafico, surely the ultimate authority, but they have not deigned to reply. Both the RAC and AA said I should contact the DVLA, but they say I should contact Trafico here.

Nobody seems prepared to give me a definitive answer, can you help? Like I said this is too important for opinions.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Isle of Man driving test pass.

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:24 pm

The information on the DGT web site regarding the exchange of foreign driving licences refers to where licences are issued not where you passed your test.

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_vir ... ENSTEIN%29

It would seem that someone in DGT has been a little over-zealous about the interpretation of the regulations. I think the only answer is to call 060 and make an appointment to speak to someone about this matter. If necessary take a translator with you.
Let's go Brandon!

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Thank you for this Beachcomber, if the DGT haven't replied to my E:Mail by the end of the week I'll try the number 060, is that a direct line? Also I'll study the wording of their website very closely, you might just have found the answer.

But why won't a government department answer a question. They are the authority after all and I presume they are public servants, like they are supposed to be in the UK. It can get very frustrating at times dealing with officialdom.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:24 pm

they are paid to drink coffee, not waste time answering the public´s questions!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 pm

As Julian has obviously found, you will never get a straight answer to a straight question. You need to see someone personally, armed with the relevant laws, a good sense of humour and endless patience and you may eventually get your way. Do not lose your temper, ever, because you will get absolutely nowhere.

Choose your translator with care. Someone who can actually translate from one language to another rather than someone who is just bilingual. There are thousands of people who can speak both languages but very few who can translate properly from one to the other.

The 060 contact number is something that has recently been introduced and I have not yet used it. The number is solely for making a face to face appointment and is probably a countrywide call centre.
Let's go Brandon!

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 am

Beachcomber I've studied the DGT website very carefully and agree with you that it states "where the licence is issued" and does not say anything about where the test was passed or where the licence was ORIGINALLY issued.

By this score my IOM bike test on my UK driving licence should be accepted.

However I'm having an opinion sought from an English speaking Spanish lawyer (through a friend with the same problem)before I ring 060. I'll keep you posted.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:01 pm

I don't know if it influences anything in terms of validity of licences, but interestingly according to Wikipedia "The Isle of Man is not a part of the European Union, but has a limited relationship concerning the free movement of goods."
I would have thought that passing a driving test on the Island would at least mean that a driver would have the rare experience of being able to drive/ride without any speed limit - at least over the Mountain section!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:22 pm

I got in touch with the licencing authority on the IOM and they said that they cannot understand why Spain would refuse my licence as they would exchange a Spanish licence no problem. This has arisen because the IOM is not in the EU, but at the end of the day I exchanged my IOM licence for a UK licence and that was presented to the Spanish DGT, ie it was issued in the UK. I have an IOM passport which clearly states European Union, United Kingdom, British Islands.

It was good riding a bike on the IOM, as you said derestricted means no speed limits. I lived there for 12 years and during my time those derestricted bits got smaller and smaller, eventually there will only be a 100 metre strip on top of the mountain and that will be all.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:29 pm

I will never forget the feeling of wicked glee, riding flat out through Kirkmichael village on an unsilenced 250 Yamaha, passing the 30 signs at some 110mph, preferably on a dawn practice where you could easily imagine the wake-up effect...all totally legal, and in fact subsidised to do it by the Tourist Board! :twisted:

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Peteoldracer, when did you race on the IOM, I may have seen you I used to mashall at Ballig Bridge, 1989 to 2000?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Eee lad, tha's nobbut a kid! I raced in the Manx GP in 1978 & '79, then the TT 1970-74.
The clue should have been "unsilenced"...I couldn't hear the tv properly for a couple of days after each race, having sat a couple of feet above an engine putting out tons of decibels - with the exception of a lovely quiet ride (to 5th) on a production 250 Kawasaki!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:22 pm

maybe you could organise something similar through Comares on sundays, you could talk to the town hall about the possibilities, it would give the local youngsters something constructive to do at the weekends.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:25 pm

The locals already have the lack of silencers sorted - even the 60-year-olds screaming up the caminos at 15kph on their mopeds! :crazy:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:21 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Eee lad, tha's nobbut a kid! I raced in the Manx GP in 1978 & '79, then the TT 1970-74.
eey lad, I think we may need a recount on those dates?? :mrgreen:
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:15 pm

OOOps! The MGP was of course 68 & 69! Dates are obviously not my strength, as I was convinced that my first visit to Spain was in 1970 - it was only when talking via email to the historian of the club that ran the Barcelona 24 hour race that he pointed out I was in their records for 1969.. :oops:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:50 pm

As far as I'm aware IOM driving licences are not recognised as valid in any EU countries, If I could ask a slightly critical question, can't you just retake the test in Spain, assuming you feel confident enough to pass, it can't be more than a thousand euros!!
Ah! the full english!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:30 pm

But that's just the point. It's not an Isle of Man licence, TerryC has already exchanged it for a UK licence and, as I said, before, the DGT rules refer to the country of issue not the country where you passed your driving test.
Let's go Brandon!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:13 pm

Ok good point but I don't have an answer, neither I suspect do the Spanish authoroties!!
Ah! the full english!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:02 pm

They will just err on the side of caution. I suspect TerryC will have to be prepared for a battle or, at least, a little persuasion.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 am

I think there is a rule that you can only exchange a licence that has been issued originally by a country on the "approved" list.

That list in Spain has to include all EU/EEA countries but it does not include the IOM.

I am sure the same would apply if you had exchanged your UK licence for a Spanish licence and then wanted to exchange your Spanish licence for a licence in a country where they have an agreement with Spain but the UK does not (such as most South American countries).

Sid