Adding a roof terrace

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
mijas bound
Resident

Adding a roof terrace

Postby mijas bound » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:54 pm

what is the procedure for adding a roof terrace to my property from a planning permission point of view??
a few builders have said that they are on good terms with the town hall and its not a problem,
that sounds a bit woolly to me. I dont want to spend several thousand euros and have it come back and bite me in the 4rse in a few years time.
Via con DIABLO

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Adding a roof terrace

Postby julian » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:20 pm

best to talk to the municipal architect, you will need permission.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Is it a flat roof already? If you are creating a new flat roof my advice would be ensure you have a proper project from someone who knows about drainage and water tight guarantees ensuring no leaks below, it CAN be done but only if you use someone who knows what they are doing.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 pm

You will almost certainly require planning permission and if you are on an urbanisation you will also need permission from the President.

If it is deemed to be major project (very likely) you will also need to employ an architect to draw up the plans and submit it to the Town Hall.

If the builder has good contacts it may make it easier to get permission but do not part with any money until you see the actual building licence.

Sid

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 pm

thanks for the info everyone, it is'nt a flat roof at the moment, unfortunately, i will certainly speak to several people before i comence any work.

its not on a complex, its a 2 story house in a village in Pruna, seville
Via con DIABLO

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:37 pm

does a roof terace have to be noted on the escritura?
does it increase the area of the property
Via con DIABLO

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:56 am

Yes and you are making structural changes and increasing useable space........if you don´t go the proper route you could find all kinds of problems with affecting property next door, not being insured et etc........I think you are definitely looking at a few thousand for sure

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:45 pm

thanks for all the info guys, will definately be speaking to an architect
Via con DIABLO

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:57 pm

Speak to a good, local builder first. He'll know as much as an architect about structure, load bearing bits and the like but his advice will be free if he thinks he'll get the job. With this advice and a clear idea of what you want, go to the architect for the drawings and 'official' stuff. Price up insulation, waterproof membranes, floor tiles, railings, etc. yourself. The work might come under 'reforming' rather than 'new work'. Depends on how big the job actually is. Good luck but be careful. Our terrace gives us fantastic views but last winter we had water running inside our kitchen wall because the plumber put up the guttering 10 mm too high and water backed up against the waterproof membrane overlap and 'found it's own level' down said wall. :?

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks Lavanda,
i have spoken to 2 builders in the village and am waiting on prices for the job, they are both aware that it has to be done "properly"
Via con DIABLO