shot gun licence and courses

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
metalmonkey
Resident

shot gun licence and courses

Postby metalmonkey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:41 pm

A few of us want to buy shotguns for use at the local gun club and for rabbits. Does anyone know what we have to do to comply with spansh law on firearms?
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: shot gun licence and courses

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 pm

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:17 pm

I helped a friend obtain a shotgun licence a few years ago BUT he had an english licence when living in the uk.
If you ask in the local guardia comisario , they have an armaments officer who will tell you exactly what is needed. For my friend it was 1) uk licence 2) medical certificate ( for arms . different to d/licence as they take your b/pressure as well. :lol: ) 3) Hunting licence ( about 35€ inc, gestorias fee as it can only be done here in Murcia ) ,4 ) public liability insurance ( about 40€ ).
He was trying to legalise his shotgun which he'd bought from the uk with an EC certificate that allows transport to different ec countries & I only got involved as he wasn't sure he was understanding it right & it had been going on for 12 months or more. I found it quite peculiar that you had to have the hunting licence to allow you to obtain a shotgun licence ? I'm not 100% sure that he was required to hand in a UK licence but he'd already started the process But the officer wrote down 2,3,&4 as requirements before the issue of a shotgun licence. I also found it a bit disturbing that you can walk up to the comisario with an unsheathed shotgun & tell the officer on the reception what you want & he directs you to an office , where there's a queue. There's always a queue !! Once we had the med.cert; hunting licence, pl/ins, it was just a 3 month wait for the licence which is valid for 5 years. They tell youthe date to come back after to pick it up. It's just like an nie ; it waits there until you go in for it. Once you've got the licence you have to carry all the above when you are out with the gun !! :roll:
Todos somos Lorca.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:22 pm

El Cid wrote:This might help

http://www.wfsa.net/int_leg/spain.html

Sid
just reading through that reminded me that I read a week or so ago that they are proposing tightening up firearms regs. to include banning people who commit offences including speeding!! Apparently under the proposals you'd lose the right to hold a gun licence for 5 years. The spanish gun lobby is kicking up a stink .
Todos somos Lorca.

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:43 pm

I haven't lived in Spain as a resident though I have owned in the past, in the late eighties I tried to obtain a shotgun licence and was told that first I needed a licence to use a rifle, note the difference !! if I was granted a hunting licence for a rifle the shotgun licence was automatically tacked on, this was 20 odd years ago so I don't know the current legislation, I think the best option is to go to the local policia nationale and ask.
I do know for sure that you needed a written certificate from your home country stating that you have no serious (whatever that is) criminal convictions, that was and probably still is the case, anyway in the Mijas Costa area.
As I only wanted the shotgun for occasional recreational use I couldn't be bothered pursuing it !
Good luck with it but I really don't think there's anything worth hunting out there other than the odd timeshare tout :-

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Gus-lopez, sorry I didn't read your post fully, probably my age, as I understood at the time, IF I had pursued the application and had it granted the FIRST licence was only valid for one year then renewable every five years hence, as I said it's a long time ago so quite probaly things have changed.