Reporting Telefonica/Movistar to the European Commission

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Reporting Telefonica/Movistar to the European Commission

Postby yummymummy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Not sure if this subject should come under "you & the law in Spain" however if the law in Spain states that it is legal for a telephone company to steal (yes, steal) from customers then I would like to report them to the right person/body in Brussels. Does anyone know how to report and who to report to in Brussels under the EC?

I have had enough of the cheating, lying and stealing that goes on with Telefonica and the fact that they get away with it and instead of complaining to people who can´t stop it from happening I would like to complain to someone who can.

Any information very gratefully received....

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Reporting Telefonica/Movistar to the European Commission

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:05 pm

It is my understanding that you cannot report anything to any EU body until you have exhausted procedures in your own country. You could try here in the first instance:

http://www.usuariosteleco.es/comoreclam ... index.aspx

If you have not already done so you could also try putting your complaint in writing to Telefónica head office in Madrid:

A López
Jefe Servicio al Cliente
Telefónica de España S.A
Gran Vía 28
28013 Madrid

Make sure it is written in perfect Spanish and send it 'con acuso de recibo' which means that A López will have to sign for it.
Let's go Brandon!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:28 am

I think Beach is right. The EU Commission will only be interested once you have exhausted all possibilities in your own country.

I once wrote to the EU Commission but all that happened was they returned it to me to take it up with UK Gov.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:20 am

Often with Telefonica the problem is the way they sell products leaving out important parts of the contract.
However, I don't believe it's that difficult to sort out those problems. Last year they invited me to change my plan to an all in one ADSL and line contract and told me the cost would be 37.99 plus VAT.
but every month there was a extra charge for 4 euros
Every month I phoned and complained and every month, after insisting that this charged hadn't been mentioned at the beginning, they returned the money.
I think you just have to stand your ground and if you get an unresponsive person on the other end, put the phone down and ring again to talk to someone else.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:31 am

Bit of a contradiction there, Mark.
However, I don't believe it's that difficult to sort out those problems.
Every month I phoned and complained and every month, after insisting that this charged hadn't been mentioned at the beginning, they returned the money.
Does that not show that it IS difficult to sort these problems? If you are having to phone month after month then it hasn't been sorted. You shouldn't have to be doing that.

It seems to be an ingrained problem at Telefonica/Movistar. Too many people complain about charges they weren't told about, trying to cancel lines which don't get cancelled only to be told one had agreed to a certain deal when they hadn't etc.

Something does need to be done. I don't know what it is though but the EU commission won't be interested.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 am

I'm talking relatively,
Having to phone them once a month is much easier than complaing to the EU and although I've had problems with them,It's always been sorted out with a phone call.
I agree something needs to be done though.
I recently changed to cable and the company read out the terms and conditions and the services I was contracting with prices over the phone .

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Telefónica truly are the worst company I have had the misfortune to deal with in Spain.
I no longer will have anything to do with them whatsoever.
I suggest that you do the same Yummymummy. Cancel and vote with your feet.
Getting justice in Spain is so slow, one party usually dies before the case gets finished :wink: , so there is no justice. They know that while their wheels are churning, however slowly, you cannot take it any higher.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:06 pm

I think you're doing something wrong then because any problem I've had with any company has been sorted out quite quickly.
I admit some sales people don't have scruples,which needs to be resolved but even things that I've bought from shops with problem have been exchanged.The worst case being something I bought from Carrefour. I wrote out an complaints form, sent it to the consumer office and within two weeks it was exchanged.
I not saying these things are perfect but when I lived in the UK there were similar problems with the Telecommunication companies and I used to read of people being tricked into changing their power company through underhand means.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I agree with Mark. I have had one or two issues with Telefónica but they have always been resolved. The problem is the front line, call centre gestapo. Once you can get past them things go much more smoothly. If you write to the address I gave I'm sure they will sort you out.
Let's go Brandon!