Administrator duties

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
davea
Tourist

Administrator duties

Postby davea » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Can anyone tell me what the HPL duty of the administrator is in practical and legal terms especially for a large urbanisation of over 500 properties.

Quote 'a) to ensure the proper management of the house, its installations and services, and to advise and admonish unit owners to that effect:

Does it mean that he is totally responsible for the identification of all maintenance issues whether visible or hidden or is it down to the owners to identify problems and report to administrator to sort out the finances or should an expert maintenance manager be employed and if so who should identify that one is required in the first place?
These are all reasonable scenarios but what is the legal interpretation of the phrase?
Is there a standard basic agreement for the employment of an administrator and where can this be found if one is available??

Davea

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: Administrator duties

Postby Paula » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 pm

I don't know of any urbanisations whereby the administrator would be responsible for identifying problems etc. It is generally up to the owners to report any problems to a Committee/President or Administrator and then up to them to ensure that a problem is resolved.
Some Urbanisations do employ a maintenance person, some have a committee member responsible for maintenance issue reporting and resolution. It is really up to the owners and what they want to put in place.

davea
Tourist

Postby davea » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for the reply Paula

The reason that I asked is that we have a big problem with concrete deterioration and there are a number of owners that quote the horizontal law that indicates that the administrator is responsible for looking after the maintenance items. They believe this encompasses the administrator actually making inspections and organising the maintenance. Due to the size of the problem they feel that the administrator has been negligent and should have identified the problem earlier.Could I ask what your position is i.e. are you an owner or a committee member legal adviser etc?

Many thanks
Davea

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:06 am

I'm an owner and a Vice-President.

Yes it is normal that the administrator would action maintenance issues, i.e. get quotes from builders etc. The administrator works for you, it isn't normal that they would inspect urbanisations unless called to look at a problem usually by the committee/President. They simply wouldn't have the staff to do this for all of the urbanisations they work for. The way it has always worked in my experience is that owners would either report any problems to either the committee or administrators, The President should always be made aware of problems in the community. The President should be ensuring that any necessary work is being carried out and should be working closely with the administrators to ensure resolution.

So basically what I am saying is that I don't believe the administrators have been negligent unless you have some arrangement with them whereby they are supposed to carry out regular inspections of your urbanisation. What have your President and Committee been doing?

davea
Tourist

Postby davea » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Thank you again Paula
I hope that you did not mind me asking your credentials but there is a lot of mis information given on the internet and I wanted to post your reply to all owners with some info on who it came from as well as the site.

Davea

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:56 am

davea wrote:Thank you again Paula
I hope that you did not mind me asking your credentials but there is a lot of mis information given on the internet and I wanted to post your reply to all owners with some info on who it came from as well as the site.

Davea
Hi Davea.

I cannot and would not ever try to speak on behalf of Paula but I, personally, feel it is outrageous that any advice given here should be 'broadcast' far and wide without prior agreement.

If the members of your community might benefit from advice here they should be encouraged to register with www.andalucia.com and post queries and receive answers accordingly.

Although I have only registered here myself over the last few months, I have followed this site for several years. My personal circumstances have changed recently and feel my wife and I can benefit from advice given by experienced 'neo-andalusians'. It is our intention to settle in southern Spain as soon as we can, given very difficult economic circumstances in the UK.

All the best

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:47 am

as no one knows who Paula , or any other member really is then you hardly need that member´s permission to passing on any info as it has no personal or confidential details.
it is important though when passing on the info to point out that you cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.