UK/Spain Tax Form FD9

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

UK/Spain Tax Form FD9

Postby bernipops3 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Have just sorted out payment of our tax in Spain for 2011 and now need to attend the local Hacienda to get them to stamp the forms FD9 so we can send them back to the Inland Revenue to take us out of the UK tax system. We have probably done this the wrong way around but at the end of the day needed to start somewhere.

We asked someone to call the tax office in Utrera to see if we needed an appoinntment to do this and they spoke to three people to explain what we needed and they had absolutely no idea what we were talking about so we are just going to bite the bullet and go either there or Seville.

Has anyone been to Utrera or Seville to sort this out as any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.
Bernipops

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK/Spain Tax Form FD9

Postby masterob » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:17 pm

When I took the FD9 into my local Tax office here they said it had to be sent to the Malaga Head Office. The Malaga Office simply sent me a letter (in Spanish and English) confirming I was in the Spanish tax system. I sent that to HMRC with an explanation and they accepted it. All this was 2007 so I don't know if things have changed.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:23 pm

I gave the forms to my gestor who has sent it to Malaga. She said the English form will come back to me and I've to send it to HMRC.
Dave

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:52 pm

I too went a few years back to our local tax office. The FD9 pack of forms sent them into a flat spin. Had to speak to a supervisor. NEVER seen one before. Clearly not many Brits ever submit these. The supervisor made some knowing noises and took the forms. It took a few years before they resurfaced. In the meantime the idiotic Uk tax offices(who don't talk to each other ) periodically sent me a tax demand or a refund (neither of which were due) . My confidence in the system is very very low.

And everyone moans at the Greeks for not paying their taxes. I have a strong suspicion that there is a raft of Brit Expats not paying their taxes anywhere. :wave:

Good luck Bernipops. You need a strong constitution for this tax lark.

bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bernipops3 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks for your replies. I have to admit I am a bit reluctant to let the forms out of my sight when all the tax office has to do is stamp them and give me my copy back.

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 am

We went through this ritual dance with the Spanish Tax office. We used our local tax office here in Ayamonte and the distinct impression was that they had never seen an FD9 before but we know they had since we know people who are registered.

It took almost 12 months and several visits but eventually we sorted it.

1. We had not been resident long enough to have sent in tax returns but that really should not have been an obstacle since we had each filled in a MODELO 30 to register as Spanish taxpayers.

2. There was a slight discrepancy between my form and Kaths form but it took ages for them to explain that. When they did new a form for was completed at the counter for Kath we went straight into a supervisors office where the pre-prepared FD 9 was signed and stamped with a flourish.

3. Posted off to our tax office in Cardiff and in a short time we were off the UK tax hook and on the Spanish Tax hook.

4. Took about another year to sort and get our tax refunds from UK.
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Similar problems to above (late last year), local tax office told us we had to take FD9 to Malaga, who at first didn't recognise the form, then did, but said they couldn't stamp it because, although we've been in the Spanish tax system for 15 years, we didn't actually pay any tax last year (on account of the fact we got a refund instead). Took it back to local tax office, stamped our feet and winged like a Brit abroad a bit, got in to see the Big Boss, who didn't recognise the form, then Googled it and found that, yes, it does exist, and for the stated purpose (getting a UK pension paid without tax deducted in the UK), so finally and reluctantly stamped it - with the wrong date. Sent it to HMRC with a covering letter as well as a certificate of fiscal residency previously obtained as a back-up (never any problem getting one of them if you filed a return for the previous year), which satisfied HMRC. We did speak to HMRC during all this palaver, and they didn't seem at all surprised, and seem in fact to be quite helpful and understanding.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 pm

I notice on the FD9 it says something to the effect: get this form stamped or attach a Certificate of Fiscal Residency so I wonder if it's even worth the bother of asking the Hacienda for the stamp.
Brian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Just get a decent gestor to sort it out for you.

I did mine some years ago but the gestor got the stamped forms back in less than a week.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:04 pm

You can download forms concerning fiscal residency and payment of taxes directly from the AEAT web site but you need a digital signature.
Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:33 pm

rafiki wrote:I notice on the FD9 it says something to the effect: get this form stamped or attach a Certificate of Fiscal Residency so I wonder if it's even worth the bother of asking the Hacienda for the stamp.
Possibly not, but where exactly did you read this? I'm looking at the FD9 now, and don't see any mention of the option of attaching a fiscal residency certificate. I may need to do another one next year - this would certainly avoid a lot of hassle.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Beachcomber wrote:You can download forms concerning fiscal residency and payment of taxes directly from the AEAT web site but you need a digital signature.
Sure it's been covered elsewhere, but briefly, how do you go about getting a digital signature?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks for that link.
OMG - I browsed quickly through the instructions (made an entertaining diversion to the footie for a few minutes) but there's no way I can be ar5ed with all that!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Miro wrote:
rafiki wrote:I notice on the FD9 it says something to the effect: get this form stamped or attach a Certificate of Fiscal Residency so I wonder if it's even worth the bother of asking the Hacienda for the stamp.
Possibly not, but where exactly did you read this? I'm looking at the FD9 now, and don't see any mention of the option of attaching a fiscal residency certificate. I may need to do another one next year - this would certainly avoid a lot of hassle.
From memory it's in the instructions at the end. I'll check in the morning and revert.
Brian.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Miro wrote:....but there's no way I can be ar5ed with all that!
It really isn't that difficult or fiddly - it probably seems that way a bit because I dotted every 'i' and crossed every 't' :D

The worst bit was finding an office that could actually verify our ID...... :lolno:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 am

rafiki wrote:
Miro wrote:
From memory it's in the instructions at the end. I'll check in the morning and revert.
Ah, no. It was in the covering letter I received from HMRC with the FD9:

'The English form will be returned to you and should have been stamped by the Spanish or a Spanish certificate of fiscal residency returned with the form. [my emphasis on the word 'or'].
Brian.

CapnBilly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CapnBilly » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:37 am

They've changed the name of this form (again). Its now called a Form Spain - Individual.

I spoke to HMRC about this last week, and they confirmed that a Certificate of Fiscal Residency was fine. She said just to send it in with a letter, but I think its important to ensure you include all the information that the form requires, otherwise they'll just send it back requeting the information.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:37 am

Good to know :thumbup:
I downloaded the form from HMRC website, and therefore didn't get that info.

bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bernipops3 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:02 pm

CapnBilly wrote:They've changed the name of this form (again). Its now called a Form Spain - Individual.

I spoke to HMRC about this last week, and they confirmed that a Certificate of Fiscal Residency was fine. She said just to send it in with a letter, but I think its important to ensure you include all the information that the form requires, otherwise they'll just send it back requeting the information.
After reading an earlier reply to my posting, I phoned HMRC yesterday to see if they would accept a Certificate of Fiscal Residency and the answer was a resounding NO. Mind you the man I spoke to kept having to refer to a "supervisor" but wouldn't put me through so I could talk to the supervisor direct.

Hey ho I will visit our Hacienda next week and see what happens. Wish me luck - oh and thanks for all your replies.